Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Re-entering Canada as a visitor before visa expires

Re-entering Canada as a visitor before visa expires

Old Mar 16th 2012, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

sarah_m will become famous soon enoughsarah_m will become famous soon enough
Default Re-entering Canada as a visitor before visa expires

Hi,

I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

I'm currently in Canada on a working holiday permit issued by the IEC. It expires on March 21. However, I will not be leaving Canada until March 28. I am planning to drive across the border to the US tomorrow (17th) and re-enter Canada as a tourist. I have proof of my return flight home. My only concern if that I am back in Canada as a visitor and not as a worker under my visa (as I would still have a few days left for that visa). Will I have to ask the visa official?

Thanks for your help,
Sarah
Old Mar 16th 2012, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re-entering Canada as a visitor before visa expires

The easiest way is when asked the questions by CBSA is to tell them that you are currently in Canada on the IEC programme and that you have just done a bit of last minute shopping before you return to the UK.
Take a copy of your flight details and there should be no problems.
Dont over analyze the situation.
Old Mar 16th 2012, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

sarah_m will become famous soon enoughsarah_m will become famous soon enough

I'm just wondering whether I have a choice in whether they allow me in as a visitor or will automatically put me through as under my visa..
Old Mar 16th 2012, 11:03 am
Just Joined

jehstr is an unknown quantity at this point

It seems fairly straight forward to me.

You will obviously have to let them know you intend on remaining in Canada after IEC expires. And on that basis you can re-enter as a Visitor only.

I have a situation where my current IEC will expire before my (hopefully) new IEC LOI arrives. So I have to flagpole like you onto a Visitor Visa. I am not expecting any issues at the border.