Re: Entering Canada on IEC...

Old Oct 25th 2012, 12:33 am
Just Joined

ohayden89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Entering Canada on IEC...

Hello there,

Just a question about entering Canada... I'm due to fly out in December but my plan of attack is to take a one way ticket which isn't my concern... I wish to enter Canada on a tourist visa as I have flights booked a couple of days after from Seattle to LA where I will spend a couple of months and obviously don't want to start my IEC if I'm not going to be there!

Does anybody foresee any problems in my plans?

Kind regards,

Oliver
Old Oct 25th 2012, 12:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have an LOI from the IEC programme? If arriving and you show the CBSA officer your onward flight details and only staying for a couple of days then you should be ok.
Id be more concerned on the one way flight into the US or is it a return back to Canada a couple of months later?
Old Oct 25th 2012, 1:13 am
Just Joined

As for the letter of introduction, yes I do! I have a one way flight from the UK to Vancouver, and enough funds to buy another ticket should that be a requirement.

My flight is from Seattle to San Diego three days after I land in Canada, so I will be crossing at the land border. I then intend to stay with friends in San Diego and then spend a couple of weeks travelling up the West Coast stopping in San Fran, Yosemite, Portland and Seattle before entering mid- late Jan on my IEC... this okay?!
Old Oct 25th 2012, 1:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ohayden89
As for the letter of introduction, yes I do! I have a one way flight from the UK to Vancouver, and enough funds to buy another ticket should that be a requirement.

My flight is from Seattle to San Diego three days after I land in Canada, so I will be crossing at the land border. I then intend to stay with friends in San Diego and then spend a couple of weeks travelling up the West Coast stopping in San Fran, Yosemite, Portland and Seattle before entering mid- late Jan on my IEC... this okay?!
Sounds ok for Canadian purposes but no idea how the US will look at it and if crossing by land you will need an I94 waiver not ESTA. I94 will cost you 6 USD. I would be showing the US officers a copy of your LOI to show you will be returning to Canada to work on this programme. Im hoping you will have travel insurance and the $2500 in funds as per the IEC requirements.
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...=d#Eligibility
Old Oct 25th 2012, 2:27 am
Just Joined

Yes I've read about the border crossing and am not too worried about getting into the US... it would be a problem if I didn't get in though as I would then have to fly out and then back into activate the IEC ( I believe!).

As for $2500, yes I have that although I remember when I applied it stated £1500 GBP... quite a similar amount anyway. I'm somewhat concerned about proving this as it will be difficult to get a letter from the UK in a week I would imagine...

Regards and thank you for your help.

Oliver Hayden
Old Oct 25th 2012, 4:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

As for $2500, yes I have that although I remember when I applied it stated £1500 GBP... quite a similar amount anyway. I'm somewhat concerned about proving this as it will be difficult to get a letter from the UK in a week I would imagine...
Why do you need a letter? Just a bank statement will suffice.

And you might want to double check with your airline, some will refuse boarding if you only have a one way ticket and are planning on entering on a visitor visa. Can't remember off the top of my head which ones do that though, but it's something to look in to. Usually a return ticket is cheaper anyway, so it might be worth getting a return just to be on the safe side.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 3:21 am
Just Joined

I can get an online statement of course but I'm not sure otherwise...

"If your banking institution will not provide you with a bank statement that demonstrates you have sufficient funds in your bank account to support yourself financially for the first three months of your stay in Canada (C$2,500), you may submit the following as proof of funds:

A letter on official letterhead from your banking institution issued one (1) week before your departure for Canada that clearly shows your account balance, signed, dated, and preferably stamped."

It's with AirTransat, it's already booked and it was £300 for a single which is pretty cheap and I'm trying to be budget-esque here! If they ask me to book a return when I land I will!

My concern is now about entering America! If they were to decide they didn't want to admit me then am I right in thinking I'd have to fly out of Canada to then enter on my LOI?

So simple in essence but if things go wrong so very complicated and costly!

Thank you very much for replies! Is Vancouver the place to be? I'm a fresh graduate in Town Planning/ Built Environment but my prospects are not very attractive here! I'm hoping they'll be better in Canada, even if I can't work in my preferred sector!

Regards,

O
Old Oct 26th 2012, 3:52 am
Forum Regular

.c.s.o. is an unknown quantity at this point

"If your banking institution will not provide you with a bank statement that demonstrates you have sufficient funds in your bank account to support yourself financially for the first three months of your stay in Canada (C$2,500), you may submit the following as proof of funds:

A letter on official letterhead from your banking institution issued one (1) week before your departure for Canada that clearly shows your account balance, signed, dated, and preferably stamped."

It's with AirTransat, it's already booked and it was £300 for a single which is pretty cheap and I'm trying to be budget-esque here! If they ask me to book a return when I land I will!

My concern is now about entering America! If they were to decide they didn't want to admit me then am I right in thinking I'd have to fly out of Canada to then enter on my LOI?

Thank you very much for replies! Is Vancouver the place to be? I'm a fresh graduate in Town Planning/ Built Environment but my prospects are not very attractive here! I'm hoping they'll be better in Canada, even if I can't work in my preferred sector!

Regards,

O
Air Transat might be a bit iffy about letting you on the plane with a one way. Showing your LOI might help but 'technically' they only let you board on a one way if you have a Canadian Passport or PR card.

I've had no problem in the past flying Transat on a one-way but other people have had to talk their way on. (It's because if you get refused entry, they are responsible for getting you back.)

As for going to the states, driving across is a ball ache but you shouldn't have any problems getting in on a visa waiver, you just have to jump through the many many hoops. If for whatever they do refuse you entry, you can activate your IEC permit on your way back into Canada. There's no need to fly out and in again.

No idea if Vancouver is the place to be, I've never lived there.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 4:23 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Is Vancouver the place to be? I'm a fresh graduate in Town Planning/ Built Environment but my prospects are not very attractive here! I'm hoping they'll be better in Canada, even if I can't work in my preferred sector!
It's not the land of honey. You may want to have a plan b for work, town planning is unlikely from what I hear. so long as you are willing to do anything, even flip burgers, you will likely find something to do.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 7:47 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Regards,

O
A poster on here is in van with this work background, options are limited is my understanding I will point her to this thread for you
Old Oct 26th 2012, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

IJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond repute

Regards,

O
Fiercely competitive. There are graduate students who have to do internships just to get experience.

If you are just a graduate, with no experience then its going to be really difficult, unless you know someone. Even with experience it will be hard, because they normally favour Canadian residents.

Of course after saying this, you might meet the right person, get a bit of luck and find the right job for you in two weeks! Odds are in this job area it won't happen.