Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Re entering Canada-Andrew/Jim/Anyone please help.

Re entering Canada-Andrew/Jim/Anyone please help.

Old Apr 1st 2006, 2:05 am
Just Joined

goingback is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re entering Canada-Andrew/Jim/Anyone please help.

Hello Everyone,
After landing I stayed in canada for about 6 months and have not returned since. I only have a record of landing and no pr card even. Since then, my circumstances have changed - I got married and we are also expecting a baby soon. I do know that I have not fullfilled my PR obligation ( duration of stay in Canada) but now, I seriousaly desire to return and live permanently in canada. I would appreciate if anyone here can help guide me as to what is best method to enter legally and stay there.

Time Line: Got PR in Mar 2000.
Landed in Oct 2000 and stayed for a week.
Returned in Mar 2001 and stayed for six months.

Thank you.
goingback.
Old Apr 1st 2006, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re entering Canada-Andrew/Jim/Anyone please help.

Reapply for PR.
Old Apr 1st 2006, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

Does that mean another 2-3yrs wait?

Isn't there any other option?

Thank you.
Old Apr 1st 2006, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Does that mean another 2-3yrs wait?
More like 4-5 years now.

As far as I'm aware, once you let PR lapse there's no way to get it back other than to reapply. Given how lax the rules are for retaining PR in Canada (I believe that in most other countries you'd lose it if you leave for more than six months), that's not too surprising: if someone can't meet the rules they're obviously not serious about settling in Canada.
Old Apr 5th 2006, 2:40 am
Just Joined

Thanks Mark.. Looks like I'm going to have to do the whole thing again. Can't imagine going through all that stuff and the waiting for acknowledgments and just about everything. But if thats the only way then i guess thats just what i'll do.

I was wondering, if I apply again, would it affect my case negatively when they come to know about me losing my PR once previously?

Thanks again.
goingback.
Old Apr 5th 2006, 3:44 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Before you re-apply a determination of loss of your PR status must be made.

And of course fact that you chose not to make Canada your home after first landing will affect officer's determination of your intentions.

Originally Posted by goingback
Thanks Mark.. Looks like I'm going to have to do the whole thing again. Can't imagine going through all that stuff and the waiting for acknowledgments and just about everything. But if thats the only way then i guess thats just what i'll do.

I was wondering, if I apply again, would it affect my case negatively when they come to know about me losing my PR once previously?

Thanks again.
goingback.
Old Apr 5th 2006, 3:50 am
Just Joined

Might seem silly to ask .. but
How do I determine the Loss of my PR?

Thanks.
goingback
Old Apr 5th 2006, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks.
goingback
you havent been in canada for over 4 years, you lost it over a year ago or more, you have to live in canada for 2 of every 5 years
Old Apr 5th 2006, 6:53 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

If in Canada you apply for PR Card - if abroad you apply for Travel Document - if trying to enter Canada then examining officer will make such determination or initiate determination process.

You also said that you got married while abroad and are expecting child. So, even if for some reason you sneak undetected through the border or examining officer fails to make loss of status determination then when you start sponsorship process your status will have to be documented (valid PR Card) and you don't have one. If for some strange reason you get Travel Document from visa post abroad and return to Canada then you still need to apply for PR Card and conclusively prove that you met residency obligations - if impossible to prove then determination of loss of status will be made at that time.

Thanks.
goingback
Old Apr 15th 2006, 6:50 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all the input everyone.

I guess I'm going to have to start all over.
Wish me luck!