British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   re-applying for ETA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/re-applying-eta-921777/)

Raquelle50 Feb 5th 2019 6:20 am

re-applying for ETA

Have recently been offered a temp job in Canada. Was previously refused Canadian ETA due to inadmissabilty would like to apply again using a new UK passport number. Will immigration officials be able to see that I had applied / been denied entry before? Even if it was an old passport number?

Dorothy Feb 5th 2019 6:57 am

Re: re-applying for ETA

Originally Posted by Raquelle50 (Post 12632622)
Have recently been offered a temp job in Canada. Was previously refused Canadian ETA due to inadmissabilty would like to apply again using a new UK passport number. Will immigration officials be able to see that I had applied / been denied entry before? Even if it was an old passport number?

So you're asking if you should lie by not declaring your previous denial and whether you will get away with it?

A new passport number doesn't mean a new you. You're still the same person, so assume CIC will know.

christmasoompa Feb 5th 2019 8:02 am

Yes, of course they will, you're still the same person. In any event, it'll ask you if you've applied previously and for details of that, and also if you have a criminal record.

When did you apply for the ETA and when was your conviction? You may now be eligible to apply for criminal rehab if enough time has passed.

And what's the job? You mention applying for an ETA again, but presumable you're aware you can't work on an ETA and will need a work permit?

claphamer Feb 5th 2019 8:07 am

What was the reason for inadmissibility?

Raquelle50 Feb 6th 2019 7:18 am

Conviction was drink driving in 2014. Job is working on civil aviation project and employer has arranged work permit.
Employer has suggested applying again for ETA and I could be offered temp residence visa at port of entry if
not deemed rehabilitated.
Reading things in the internet it seems very confusing and also a bit of a hit or miss whether you get in.

christmasoompa Feb 6th 2019 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Raquelle50 (Post 12633138)
Conviction was drink driving in 2014. Job is working on civil aviation project and employer has arranged work permit.
Employer has suggested applying again for ETA and I could be offered temp residence visa at port of entry if
not deemed rehabilitated.
Reading things in the internet it seems very confusing and also a bit of a hit or miss whether you get in.

What was the conviction, was it a ban and if so, when did that end? It'll be 5 years from the end of that that you can apply for rehab so potentially soon if you were convicted in 2014 - would the employer wait for you? Just checking, but you haven't been to Canada since (i.e. before ETA's came in to place)? You could try a TRV, you normally need a compelling reason to enter Canada (i.e. a terminally ill family member etc), there is a bit of lenience for DUI's if that was your only offence. There is tons of misinformation out there, the CIC website is the only info you can rely on, so I'd ignore whatever is confusing you elsewhere as it's actually pretty simple. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...t-permits.html

The 'arranged work permit' sounds rather odd to me, I'd look in to that a bit more. Last thing you want to do is manage to somehow get in to Canada and then find out you've inadvertently been working illegally! Your work permit is for you specifically, so you will need to apply for it somehow, I'd try and find out more from the employer about what they mean by 'arranged work permit'.

Raquelle50 Feb 6th 2019 9:29 am

It’s an employer specific work permit and they have already submitted the job offer to IRCC plus paid a compliance fee and I apply for the work permit at airport.
It’s the ETA that is the problem as I cannot get on flight without it and unfortunately not enough time to apply for TRV before I go.

Raquelle50 Feb 6th 2019 9:30 am

Conviction was £150 fine and 6 month ban in Oct 2014.

christmasoompa Feb 6th 2019 9:46 am

OK, so you can't apply for rehab until April 2020 at the earliest.

Only option I can think of if you don't have enough time to apply for a TRV before you go is to fly to the US and then try to cross the border by land transport and try and get the TRV at POE - no ETA is needed then.

Edit: but do check you're admissible to the US! A question for the US section of the forum.........

Snowy560 Feb 6th 2019 3:41 pm

I think you mean TRP rather than TRV.

Raquelle50 Feb 6th 2019 4:11 pm

Yeah sorry I mean TRP.

PMM Feb 6th 2019 5:11 pm

Hi

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12633187)
OK, so you can't apply for rehab until April 2020 at the earliest.

Only option I can think of if you don't have enough time to apply for a TRV before you go is to fly to the US and then try to cross the border by land transport and try and get the TRV at POE - no ETA is needed then.

Edit: but do check you're admissible to the US! A question for the US section of the forum.........

1, It doesn't matter how s/he attempts to enter is still inadmissible. Lie about the conviction, 5 year ban for misrepresentation.

christmasoompa Feb 6th 2019 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by PMM (Post 12633398)
1, It doesn't matter how s/he attempts to enter is still inadmissible. Lie about the conviction, 5 year ban for misrepresentation.

I didn't suggest she lies about the conviction, that would be a stupid idea. But she can apply for a TRP at POE if she doesn't have time to get one before she goes. A heck of a lot of effort and cost in the hope of not being turned back at the border, personally I'd be telling the employer I need a TRP and pushing the start date back to get one before travelling. But if the OP isn't prepared to give up the job or negotiate starting later, then I can't see any other option.

Raquelle50 Feb 7th 2019 12:42 pm

Thanks for the replies. Have decided to push back start date and apply for TRP before I go

christmasoompa Feb 7th 2019 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Raquelle50 (Post 12633752)
Thanks for the replies. Have decided to push back start date and apply for TRP before I go

Good plan. Let us know how you get on - it would be useful for others in a similar situation to know if it's granted, and what the processing time is like etc.

Good luck.