Wikiposts

Re; Better Life?

Old Jun 17th 2002, 1:20 am
Anonymous

Default Re; Better Life?

The problem is there is a mismatch between the facts and the illusion.

One of the problems for potential immigrants is the media continually builds up how
excellent Canada is
e.g.Canada is #1 voted by the UN for three years running. Free healthcare. Clean
streets. Low crime. Very low racism.

These are all true. The problem, however is *compounded* by the beliefs (which are
*not* true that the average canadian has and has no problem sharing with you). This
is *even* if you do visit or read this newsgroup. e.g. From the "possible" but not
actually true i.e. Canada has tons of jobs. to the "ridiculous" You can have a boat
and a house and two cars on two average salaries. To the things are much cheaper in
canada and "you're better off in canada than" e.g. in europe or usa or elsewhere.

What *is* the reality? It doesn't matter where you are in the world. If you
immigrate somewhere you're on your own. It's not easy and life isn't perhaps as good
as you expected.

The sad thing *is* in fact that it is almost impossible to get a valid picture in
advance of what it will be like.

*I* don't think it's fair that you *should* have to start at the bottom again.
After all, why did you spend all those years struggling in your own country if you
have to start again in Canada. That's not the point is it? My opinion, however,
doesn't make it so.

The truth is it's really, really hard and in an ideal world immigrants should be told
that. I think, however, that if they *were* told that, most of them wouldn't come. So
it is an impossible problem to solve.

I think this newsgroup is part of the solution and not part of the problem because it
gives people a more balanced idea.

I just wish all the nationalistic canadians who say stupid stuff like "if you don't
know what it's like don't do it" are both unfair *And* missing the point.

If you come from e.g. USA, UK, Europe, Singapore, Japan or other "rich" country then
yeah say "tough shit" if they can't make it, but otherwise it's perfectly fair that
third wold immigrants should be disappointed. Because isn't it, after all, not a
"better" place to live? All these thoughts about "state of mind" etc are nonsense.
These people have some expectations that they will *at a minimum* have a similar
standard of living from what they left and to say to them, "tough shit" is heartless.

TESTTESTTEST--== Posted via Newsfeed.Com - Uncensored Usenet News ==TESTTESTTEST-

TEST--= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers =TEST--