Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Spouse Sponsorship - Return to Canada To Resume Residence Date

Spouse Sponsorship - Return to Canada To Resume Residence Date

Old Sep 16th 2018, 10:27 am
Just Joined

SoftwareDev is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spouse Sponsorship - Return to Canada To Resume Residence Date

Hi All,

We are just in the process of filling in the spousal sponsorship forms and the 'Sponsorship Evaluation' from asks 'When do you plan to return to canada to resume residence?' As we live in the uk at the moment, originally I put June 2020 which would give us a realistic time frame with kids school etc and was going to detail a plan in our 'Intent to Move' covering the period. However I have now seen a couple of posts saying that you should not specify dates as it may work against you by showing your not intending to move as soon as you get the PR.

Just wondering what have others put in their application? And how have they gone about showing a plan if there are no time frames?

Thanks
Old Sep 16th 2018, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse Sponsorship - Return to Canada To Resume Residence Date

Originally Posted by SoftwareDev
Hi All,

We are just in the process of filling in the spousal sponsorship forms and the 'Sponsorship Evaluation' from asks 'When do you plan to return to canada to resume residence?' As we live in the uk at the moment, originally I put June 2020 which would give us a realistic time frame with kids school etc and was going to detail a plan in our 'Intent to Move' covering the period. However I have now seen a couple of posts saying that you should not specify dates as it may work against you by showing your not intending to move as soon as you get the PR.

Just wondering what have others put in their application? And how have they gone about showing a plan if there are no time frames?

Thanks
Our paper were received in Mississauga in late-June 2016 and on IMM5540, I wrote 'Summer 2017' as the planned date for my return to Canada. I then went on to explain in my 'game plan' that precise return dates were vague as I could not be certain of when we would get the CoPR, but that given that CIC published '12 months' as their turnaround times, I was working to that timescale.

Can I suggest that your 'June 2020' date would invite CIC to return your application and say 'send it in closer to the time (i.e. June 2019 earliest)? You might be better to say 'planning on one year (from the date you mail it) and would try to fit in with one of the many school holiday dates. Your plan would then have to show what steps you have already taken and when you plan future steps that all make sense with a 1 year timescale.
Old Sep 16th 2018, 8:24 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spouse Sponsorship - Return to Canada To Resume Residence Date

Originally Posted by SoftwareDev
Hi All,

Thanks
Do NOT put a specific date down. There have been members who have had their application refused when the application was processed well before the 'date'.

It is a requirement as far as the application is concerned, where it states that (the sponsor) undertakes that it is their intention to return to Canada before / when PR is granted. (or words to that effect).

You need to be 'generic' - state that 'it is your intention to return prior to or when XYZ (your spouse/partner) is granted Permanent Residency'.

That doesn't mean you actually have to. Your partner can do a 'soft' landing. But it's your 'intention' to move over, it just took a little time to get it all set up.. wink wink

You will also need to show the steps you are taking to return - such as emails to a real estate agent asking about rentals / houses in the area you like, prices to buy, general enquiry .. or a letter from a friend / relative stating you will be staying with them while you look for housing. Open a bank account perhaps, in joint names - or show how you have checked with a bank what requirements to do so. Emails to schools or similar, as you have children, asking about cachement area.. registration requirements, perhaps emails to agencies or registering with agencies looking for work possibilities.

(Did you sort out their Citizenship (Canada / UK) and obtain their Canadian passports? You will need to do this prior to the move - and I'd recommend getting their British /other citizenship sorted out if they qualify - and yours for the UK if you qualify. We never know what our kids might do when older - or where life may take you, and you may decide you need to be in the UK one day - far easier if you have Citizenship.

Schnookololy gave a great example of what she did when they submitted their application - You can find it - along with lots of helpful advice, here:
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...k_to_Canada.3F

Sponsor question form IMM5540E

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 16th 2018 at 8:31 pm.