British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   RCMP Criminal Record Check from UK for EE application (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/rcmp-criminal-record-check-uk-ee-application-901128/)

DigitalGhost Aug 3rd 2017 12:29 pm

RCMP Criminal Record Check from UK for EE application

I left Canada in mid 2012 after living and working there legally for approximately 15 months. I've lived in the UK ever since then.

Last month I submitted an EE application and today they have sent me a message requesting an RCMP CRC. I honestly don't understand this because my UK certificate had no trace on it and I've had no dealings with the Canadian police whatsoever.

It was my understanding that police checks were only ever required for those countries in which you have lived for longer than 180 days since the age of 18 excluding Canada.

Please could someone just confirm whether or not this is normal? Also if anybody can offer any advice in completing this process from the UK then I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Snowy560 Aug 3rd 2017 1:37 pm

Re: RCMP Criminal Record Check from UK for EE application

Yes you can be asked for an RCMP check based on fingerprints during EE processing. I know people this has happened to.

Check the IRCC website for police certificate instructions. I've used this organization from inside Canada for the whole process in the past (licensing exam) and they are still on the accredited list for fingerprints if you don't live in Canada. You'll have to read up and follow the links

https://www.commissionaires.ca/en/national/individual

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/canada.asp

DigitalGhost Aug 3rd 2017 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Snowy560 (Post 12308517)
Yes you can be asked for an RCMP check based on fingerprints during EE processing.

Sorry I may be being thick but what does this part mean? Nobody has ever taken my fingerprints in Canada or the UK. I've had them taken by a couple of other countries I've visited in the past but not during any part of this application process.

Also why would they single me out for this? I've looked around on a couple of forums and this all seems to be a bit irregular.

Snowy560 Aug 3rd 2017 1:56 pm

Some people get asked for an RCMP check during EE processing. It happens. I know people it has happened to during EE processing and it has happened to you. Unfortunately you're not in Canada so it's a bit of a process. If you read up on the process (links) you will see fingerprints are required.

DigitalGhost Aug 3rd 2017 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Snowy560 (Post 12308540)
Some people get asked for an RCMP check during EE processing. It happens. I know people it has happened to during EE processing and it has happened to you. Unfortunately you're not in Canada so it's a bit of a process. If you read up on the process (links) you will see fingerprints are required.

Thanks for your help. To be honest then I might not bother. I don't really like being singled out and bullied and that seems to be what's happening here.

If Canada wants to start singling people out for extreme vetting and causing massive inconvenience to them then it might be more wise to start with those Africans and who knows what else who are now flooding in over what seems to be an increasingly pourous border with the US.

If I don't provide this and they decline my application then will my application fee be refunded?

Thanks again for your help. I do appreciate it and I'm sorry if the tone of this post seems a bit angry but I am furious about this.

Snowy560 Aug 3rd 2017 2:30 pm

I'm sorry I tried to help you with a fairly routine request during EE processing from IRCC. In my opinion you need to calm down and get things in perspective. It's no big deal but you are making it into one. I don't like your comments about Africans and think they're inappropriate for this forum. If you hold those kinds of views perhaps you should rethink your Immigration project.

If you don't comply your application will be refused. The only part of your fees that will be refunded are Right of Permanent Residence fees if you paid this.

DigitalGhost Aug 3rd 2017 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Snowy560 (Post 12308573)
I'm sorry I tried to help you with a fairly routine request during EE processing from IRCC. In my opinion you need to calm down and get things in perspective. It's no big deal but you are making it into one. I don't like your comments about Africans and think they're inappropriate for this forum. If you hold those kinds of views perhaps you should rethink your Immigration project.

If you don't comply your application will be refused. The only part of your fees that will be refunded are Right of Permanent Residence fees if you paid this.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you slightly. This wouldn't be a problem if they did it to everyone but I really dislike being singled out in this way. My problem is definitely not with you though and I'm sorry if I've offended you in any way.

From what you're saying it sounds like they plan on holding me to ransom over the application fee. I might just have to call it quits here I think and consider it a lesson learned for the future.

What really annoys me is that the internet is full of people trying to abuse and circumvent the system. I went to a lot of expense and trouble to provide everything they asked for with my application, even the parts of it that I hated and hugely disagreed with and this is the thanks I get.

DigitalGhost Aug 3rd 2017 3:32 pm

I've been reading up on this and if I'm reading this page correctly then I can get a refund.

If you return my application, will I get a refund?

Yes. You will get a refund if we return your application because:
it was incomplete,

It was received before the program re-opened, or
the program was full.
Refunds can take up to eight weeks to complete. If you have been waiting longer, you can submit a refund request.
Presumably if I decline the request for this RCMP clearance then my application is technically incomplete and therefore my fee should be reimbursed to me?

christmasoompa Aug 3rd 2017 3:48 pm

Blimey. That's quite the overreaction. You're not being 'singled out', you'll find lots of others on the forum who've had a RCMP police check requested. It simply means your name matches that of a person of interest, and they need to take your fingerprints to check you're not that person.

I agree with Snowy, your comments about Africans are distasteful at best, and not for BE thanks. If other nationalities and being asked for a fairly insignificant extra check (in the grand scheme of things) upsets you this much, maybe immigration isn't for you.

DigitalGhost Aug 3rd 2017 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12308641)
Blimey. That's quite the overreaction. You're not being 'singled out', you'll find lots of others on the forum who've had a RCMP police check requested. It simply means your name matches that of a person of interest, and they need to take your fingerprints to check you're not that person.

I agree with Snowy, your comments about Africans are distasteful at best, and not for BE thanks. If other nationalities and being asked for a fairly insignificant extra check (in the grand scheme of things) upsets you this much, maybe immigration isn't for you.

My name is highly unusual, I doubt there is a criminal running around with the same name as me to be perfectly honest. Also, this isn't the first time that Canada has done something like this to me. In my place of work over there, I was apparently chosen "at random" from every non-Canadian working there (most of the workforce) for an immigration audit by the government and had to produce a load of paperwork for HR. A lot of the people I worked with there had very sketchy immigration histories in Canada too and had passports that are generally far less trusted than Britain. In the previous year they had apparently selected an Australian colleague for the same audit so it was quite obvious what was going on.

Tbh, at this point I'm more concerned with getting my application fee back. I've looked at the process for this and the information on the RCMP and CIC websites doesn't even make sense and honestly, I've just had enough.

And just to be clear, I have no inherent problem with African people. I have a problem with illegal immigration and the fact that Canada wants to subject me to all this additional stress and expense while it seemingly allows people to pass across the land border in the way it currently does really says a lot.

Snowy560 Aug 3rd 2017 4:28 pm

IRCC have begun processing your application. It was not rejected as incomplete. If you do not provide the RCMP check it will likely be refused for failure to comply. Fees are only returned in the first case.

I agree with Christmas and as I have tried to get across to you many have been asked for an RCMP check when going through EE. But maybe this is fortunate because it's helped you realize Canada perhaps isn't for you.

DigitalGhost Aug 3rd 2017 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Snowy560 (Post 12308671)
IRCC have begun processing your application. It was not rejected as incomplete. If you do not provide the RCMP check it will likely be refused for failure to comply. Fees are only returned in the first case

Well that hardly seems fair now, does it? What they're asking of me isn't trivial by any means and if they reject my application based on the lack of that document alone then that would technically be an incomplete application.

In effect, I met their requirements to begin with but now they've moved the goal posts so no matter how you look at this, the fault lies with them.

Even if you just look at the top line on this page, they are contradicting themselves.

How to get a police certificate - Canada

Do I need to provide a Police Certificate with my Application for Permanent Residence? No
I've just ran out of patience with them and this is the final straw.

DigitalGhost Aug 3rd 2017 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Snowy560 (Post 12308671)

I agree with Christmas and as I have tried to get across to you many have been asked for an RCMP check when going through EE. But maybe this is fortunate because it's helped you realize Canada perhaps isn't for you.

On that one, I think all three of us are probably in agreement but IMHO I should at the very least get my application fee back.

Snowy560 Aug 3rd 2017 4:49 pm

It's at the officer's discretion to request any document during processing.

DigitalGhost Aug 3rd 2017 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Snowy560 (Post 12308692)
It's at the officer's discretion to request any document during processing.

And when someone pays for a service that service should either be provided or that customer should get their money back.

This situation would be like if you bought a car and then at the last second the salesman took one wheel off it and said you couldn't have a refund and would need to buy another wheel to take the car off the forecourt. In fact this is worse than than that because at least that scenario would only be a rip off and a minor inconvenience.

Let's face it, it is yet just another in a long line of scams that the CIC and Canadian government pull on visa applicants. The ECA process is another good case of that. I was charged ON sales tax by WES, an approved affiliate of the CIC, and I don't even live in Canada, let alone in that province.

This is no offence to you personally at all but I know some people on here seem to defend everything that immigration authorities do. The thing is that a line just has to be drawn somewhere.