Wikiposts

This is quite the pickle...

Old Jan 29th 2008, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

luckyjon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default This is quite the pickle...

Hi guys,

I'm glad I stumbled across this forum, it could be just what I need!

OK, the quick background to my story. I came to Canada, Vancouver to be exact, last April through BUNAC. I met a girl at the end of June and we've been together happily since then. I want to stay in Canada to be with her, and she is willing to move to England on a WHP to be with me once my visa runs out - I don't want this to happen, as I feel we'll be going around in circles.

I am currently working for the Yellow Pages, and they have kindly given me a contract that runs until my visa runs out in April, but they have said I can have the rest of the contract (until at least next January) if I can get an extension.

So, my questions:

What's the likelihood of getting a positive LMO for an office job in BC?

Can I apply for PR while I'm in Canada? I have someone who is willing to offer me Arranged Employment, but how long would that usually take? And could I stay working in the country (in my current office job) while it's being processed?

And the last question, if, and this is a last result, I were to grab my girl, take her to Vegas and marry her, would this allow me to work in the country while the sponsorship application is approved, and would a Vegas wedding even be recognised here in BC?

If anyone has any other ideas please feel free to shout them at me. I feel like I am going around in circles.

One final note: I love it in this country, in the past 9 months I have become happier than I have ever been, more financially stable, and for all of those sappy people out there like myself, I am in love with a great Canadian girl. If anyone can offer anything to help me it would mean the world.

Thanks,

Jon
Old Jan 29th 2008, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This is quite the pickle...

Oh Jon

What a sweety you are - could you give Mr Burton Bunch some guide in sweetness ?

Originally Posted by luckyjon
I am currently working for the Yellow Pages, and they have kindly given me a contract that runs until my visa runs out in April, but they have said I can have the rest of the contract (until at least next January) if I can get an extension.

So, my questions:

What's the likelihood of getting a positive LMO for an office job in BC?

Check if the occupation is one on the Labour shortages list for the provincial government. LMO's are taking different amount of times for different provinces -ie Alberta is taking about 26 weeks at the mo.

Can I apply for PR while I'm in Canada?

Yes you can

I have someone who is willing to offer me Arranged Employment, but how long would that usually take?

If you have AEO and apply for PR you will still have to have it approved by HRDSC and without having started that job then you could get an extra 10 points -but as youwont have started the job then you will not have your PR expedited by London.

And could I stay working in the country (in my current office job) while it's being processed?

As far as i am aware once BUNAC has finished then you cannot get an extension

And the last question, if, and this is a last result, I were to grab my girl, take her to Vegas and marry her, would this allow me to work in the country while the sponsorship application is approved, and would a Vegas wedding even be recognised here in BC?

Would be afraid that CIC would look at it as a marriage of convenience - just to stay.

If anyone has any other ideas please feel free to shout them at me. I feel like I am going around in circles.

One final note: I love it in this country, in the past 9 months I have become happier than I have ever been, more financially stable, and for all of those sappy people out there like myself, I am in love with a great Canadian girl. If anyone can offer anything to help me it would mean the world.

Thanks,

Jon
Once again Jon you are such a sweetie - I am truly jealous of your girlfriend having such a nice kinda guy but think that the easiest way would be for you to look at in land spousal sponsorship to realise you dream of staying in Canada

Good Luck

Gaynor

xx
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:43 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

" If you have AEO and apply for PR you will still have to have it approved by HRDSC and without having started that job then you could get an extra 10 points -but as youwont have started the job then you will not have your PR expedited by London. "

Ok. So unless you are already doing the job on an HRSDC confirmed WP, London CIC will not expedite your PR?
I have been reading & re-reading the AEO manual kindly provided by Andrew and it's a bit of a minefield. What if you fall under category 3 in the manual ie: (3) the applicant does not intend to work in Canada before being issued a permanent resident visa and does not hold a work permit. In that case what is the benefit of obtaining AEO in this instance?

Is there any written confirmation of the 'expediting' process done at London?
I've probably used up my quota of questions in this one post! Any guidance much appreciated!
Old Jan 30th 2008, 4:56 am
Just Joined

luckyjon is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Gaynor

What is the expediated process in London? I understand this may not apply to me, but there could always be a way! Is it a lot faster?

Also, does anyone know if I were to get an AEO for a job say, in Ontario, and then arrived and got a better job offer in BC, would this cause any problems?
Old Jan 30th 2008, 5:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luckyjon
Thanks Gaynor

What is the expediated process in London? I understand this may not apply to me, but there could always be a way! Is it a lot faster?

Also, does anyone know if I were to get an AEO for a job say, in Ontario, and then arrived and got a better job offer in BC, would this cause any problems?
Hi jon what do you do at yellow pages what skills do you have,
I wouldn't get married as Gaynor said it will look convenient and as far as i understand you will still have to return in April anyway, wait till after you have sorted it all out then do it lucky girl
Old Jan 30th 2008, 6:12 am
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

First off, do you qualify under skilled worker program? Go to CIC and read rules, you must have experience in a job with skill level O, A or B. It works on a points based system, having arranged employment (read rules carefully) will add points.

If you do qualify then quickest way is to get LMO / AEO. Both have to be HRSDC approved. LMO will allow you to stay in Canada, as you can get a temp work permit. AEO is no different, except it will mean returning to UK while PR application is processed. To fast track your PR application (through London) you must have what CIC call Arranged Employment - full definition on the CIC website, but basically you must be working in Canada (BUNAC visa does not count) and have offer to convert temp job into a permanent full time position once PR is granted.

Not sure on the spousal sponsorship....
Old Jan 30th 2008, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

L'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud of

Hi,

Have you and your gf been living together? If so do you have proof etc?
I know that you said that your gf going to the uk on a WH visa wasn't ideal for you - but it doesn't necessarily mean that you will be going around in circles. If it is still the same as a few years ago - her visa would be valid for two years - with her being able to work for half of that time - you would have to research this though.
If you are currently living together then you have started the process to become common-law partners - this has to be for at least 12 consecutive months though - so when you leave, she would have to come with you. (Or you could extend your visa as a visitor but be unable to work).
If you are not currently living together then, if your gf gets a WH visa you could start gaining evidence (bills in same name, rent agreements, joint bank accounts) when she arrives in the UK. Once you have lived together for one year you would be eligible to apply through the family class as a common-law spouse. There is more information on this in the Wiki section and in this thread. You could also search the forum for 'Sponsorship', 'Family Class', 'Common-Law'.
Hmmmmm, now I see where your circles were - as I am not sure if your gf would have to be in Canada to be able to sponsor you - I am sure it has appeared somewhere on the forum before - so maybe a quick search will solve this. If she can remain in the UK then you will have another year together while you are being processed.
If she does have to be in Canada then you could always come over as a visitor - having saved like crazy the previous year
Which BUNAC visa did you come over on? If it was the student one then you will be able to apply for the non-student visa and return to Canada with your gf and submit your application from there.
Just another option on the table for you to mull over. You don't have to get married to apply through Family class, you just need to be able to prove that you are together in a genuine and continuing relationship and that you have been living together for at least 12 consecutive months.

Good luck.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

wayne-Niki is an unknown quantity at this point

I see u went from a bunac to a LMO etc. How did u do this what kind of job do u hold? We are trying to take this route, can u advise?