British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Quickest way to get to Canada and start business (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/quickest-way-get-canada-start-business-705369/)

casablanca83 Feb 14th 2011 1:14 pm

Quickest way to get to Canada and start business

Hi everyone
I'm new to this forum as we've been looking at so many options before, America, Australia but now for quite a few reasons we think Canada could be the best option for us!
Anyway, my husband has run a successful business for the past 5 years (which he is now selling) and will be launching an online company with a partner.
I've looked into the Entrepreneur class visa but was quite surprised at the estimated time it takes - 4 years is that correct? I would wonder how it would be such a long process when you're investing in the country and employing residents of Canada.
Anyway, not sure if we're missing anything but if anyone could share any advice it would be much appreciated. We would like to go asap - if possible!
Thanks
CC

christmasoompa Feb 14th 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Quickest way to get to Canada and start business

Originally Posted by casablanca83 (Post 9175478)
Hi everyone
I'm new to this forum as we've been looking at so many options before, America, Australia but now for quite a few reasons we think Canada could be the best option for us!
Anyway, my husband has run a successful business for the past 5 years (which he is now selling) and will be launching an online company with a partner.
I've looked into the Entrepreneur class visa but was quite surprised at the estimated time it takes - 4 years is that correct? I would wonder how it would be such a long process when you're investing in the country and employing residents of Canada.
Anyway, not sure if we're missing anything but if anyone could share any advice it would be much appreciated. We would like to go asap - if possible!
Thanks
CC

You're right, it is a 4 year processing time unfortunately. Have you looked at the province's PNP though - many have a business stream which will be much quicker.

Good luck. :)

casablanca83 Feb 14th 2011 2:13 pm

Hi
thanks for your reply.
I was actually just reading about that a few minutes ago and it seems a quicker process. I had thought that was only for employers taking on foreign skilled people but it seems you can get in on that and start a business?
We would like to go to Ontario but I'm not sure where to get the best comparisons on which areas are better to apply to for starting a business etc...
any advice appreciated.
thanks

christmasoompa Feb 14th 2011 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by casablanca83 (Post 9175599)
Hi
thanks for your reply.
I was actually just reading about that a few minutes ago and it seems a quicker process. I had thought that was only for employers taking on foreign skilled people but it seems you can get in on that and start a business?
We would like to go to Ontario but I'm not sure where to get the best comparisons on which areas are better to apply to for starting a business etc...
any advice appreciated.
thanks

I don't think Ontario PNP has a business stream (although could well be wrong, do check), but others such as BC or NB do.

Re: where to start the business, I'd first find out which provinces do have a business stream so that you know which ones you can get a visa via, and then post in the main Canada forum asking about which would be best - give as much info as possible i.e. what kind of business, how many employees you'd need, what kind of investment you'd be making etc, and hopefully somebody will be able to steer you in the right direction.

:)

pennyhp Feb 14th 2011 9:45 pm

We looked into the pnp's when we were applying to come to canada. But it was a few years ago now ( I can't believe we have been here for nearly four years already).
We went for the NB business pnp. We applied in 2005 and it took us two years.
We applied in February or March or 2005 and got our pr visas in January 2007.
Some however got processed quicker then us.
I don't know how long the system is working now though.

We decided on NB because their business pnp was very undemanding. We didn't need to employ anyone or hit certain targets etc.

Of course it could have all changed now.