Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Quick question re: When to provide 'Goods to Follow list' after initial landing

Quick question re: When to provide 'Goods to Follow list' after initial landing

Old Jan 7th 2014, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

MapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really nice
Default Quick question re: When to provide 'Goods to Follow list' after initial landing

Hi all,

I landed in Toronto in Oct 2012, but returned to the UK to tie up loose ends after a week. Unfortunately, my mother was diagnosed with an aggressive cancer in early 2013, and my time was fully assigned to looking after her and getting her back to health, and consequently, I was unable to settle permanently in 2013.

Unfortunately, she passed away just before Christmas after an eight month battle, and the plan now is to leave the UK this year and settle permanently this summer with my wife and baby.

Sorry for the background above - the question now is that I am travelling to Toronto on Jan 25th for a week. Is it better to provide the goods to follow list when I arrive at Pearson on the 25th, or when we travel to settle permanently in September? I was musing over this, and I thought that maybe September was more appropriate.

Thanks in advance for looking at this post.

MS.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 12:31 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick question re: When to provide 'Goods to Follow list' after initial landing

If I'm not mistaken, you can do it when you establish residency in September. Be sure when you visit in July to tell them you are a PR, but you are not yet establishing residency.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

MapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really niceMapleSauce is just really nice
Default Re: Quick question re: When to provide 'Goods to Follow list' after initial landing

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
If I'm not mistaken, you can do it when you establish residency in September. Be sure when you visit in July to tell them you are a PR, but you are not yet establishing residency.
I was thinking as much - thanks for helping a scrambled brain this today
Old Jan 8th 2014, 3:58 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Commiserations on your loss MapleSauce. I landed in Pearson in October, but was not settling until the following August. I did take my goods to follow list, just in case, but they didn't want it and told me to bring it back when we were finally going to settle.

Very best of luck with all of your planning and preparations
Old Jan 8th 2014, 4:06 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

^ Always a good idea to come prepared with the GTF list, just in case! When my husband landed last December, he wasn't establishing residency yet, but they still asked for his lists. So good to have it prepared just in case, but try to avoid sorting it out earlier if you can!
Old Jan 8th 2014, 8:41 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Two good reasons for not handing over a GTF list when you land just to activate your visa are:

1) The tariff code for tax-free import specifies a "settler" i.e. someone entering Canada to establish residence. It is not for someone on a short landing trip.

2) If you do hand over your GTF list on your landing trip then anything you subsequently buy between then and actually moving to Canada will be subject to tax and duty.