Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Quick Question for crossing the border post Citizenship Ceremony

Quick Question for crossing the border post Citizenship Ceremony

Old Apr 28th 2015, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

rodderzzz is a jewel in the roughrodderzzz is a jewel in the roughrodderzzz is a jewel in the roughrodderzzz is a jewel in the rough
Default Quick Question for crossing the border post Citizenship Ceremony

Hi, Today I completed my citizenship ceremony (YAY!), however, as some of you will know, when you complete the ceremony they take your PR Card and give you a certificate of Canadian Citizenship, which cannot be used as a travel document. Now, I am due to travel to the states on Friday... Will I have any issues getting back into the country with a UK passport and my certificate of citizenship? Does anyone know the answer to this?

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 28th 2015, 4:02 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick Question for crossing the border post Citizenship Ceremony

Originally Posted by rodderzzz
Hi, Today I completed my citizenship ceremony (YAY!), however, as some of you will know, when you complete the ceremony they take your PR Card and give you a certificate of Canadian Citizenship, which cannot be used as a travel document. Now, I am due to travel to the states on Friday... Will I have any issues getting back into the country with a UK passport and my certificate of citizenship? Does anyone know the answer to this?

Thanks in advance!
I used my citizen certificate and drivers licence. Never had a problem, this was some years ago though.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

OH forgot to take his passport on a trip to the US years ago ............. before 9/11

He showed his driving license to the Canadian Immigration at Vancouver Airport, and the response was

"well, that's fine, but all it does is show me that you are licensed to drive in Canada"

there was some more argy-bargy, with OH being suitably apologetic ........ but he was eventually let back into the country!

I don't think he would have got back in post 9/11
Old Apr 29th 2015, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Another question to consider - will you have any issues entering the US? VWP applicants must have proof of onward travel outside North America, unless the traveler is a legal resident. That's why CBP officers are trained to check the Canadian paperwork of VWP applicants entering the US from Canada. In my experience, they always want to see either a Canadian work permit, a PR card, or a airline ticket out of North America.

I wonder if they will accept the citizenship certificate. Do let us know how you got on. Good luck !