QUICK QUESTION....AIT

Old Oct 14th 2012, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

anne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant future
Default QUICK QUESTION....AIT

Hi I have a quick question...I know somebody that has been offered a job as a carpenter in Calgary. They are planning on landing and getting a work permit through the new Pilot scheme which makes carpenters LMO exempt.

I believe that he needs to get an AIT approval letter to achieve this but they have been told by some others they dont.

Now i am not trying to prove myself right, i am really worried they are going to turn up at immigration and be turned away.

My question is has anybody gone through this or know of anybody else in particular a carpenter, who can verify what they need when they try to get their work permit at POE.

Thanks in advance
Old Oct 14th 2012, 11:36 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: QUICK QUESTION....AIT

Hi

Originally Posted by anne-ireland
Hi I have a quick question...I know somebody that has been offered a job as a carpenter in Calgary. They are planning on landing and getting a work permit through the new Pilot scheme which makes carpenters LMO exempt.

I believe that he needs to get an AIT approval letter to achieve this but they have been told by some others they dont.

Now i am not trying to prove myself right, i am really worried they are going to turn up at immigration and be turned away.

My question is has anybody gone through this or know of anybody else in particular a carpenter, who can verify what they need when they try to get their work permit at POE.

Thanks in advance
You are correct, he just can't show up.

"Background

The training and certification standards of tradespersons working in Alberta are the responsibility of Alberta industry, as represented by Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training (AAIT). To maintain industry standards in Alberta and to promote workplace safety, AAIT evaluates and tests out-of-country tradespersons destined to work in the province.

Temporary Foreign Workers who want to work in a compulsory certification trade in Alberta must be a certified journeyperson holding one of the following:

a valid Alberta Qualification Certificate, or
a valid Canadian provincial/territorial trade certificate recognized by Alberta*, or
an authorization letter from AAIT permitting a requesting employer to hire TFWs in specified occupations for specialty work, generally for shorter periods of time. This authorization must be obtained prior to the TFW coming to Canada, or
an approved application for the Alberta Qualification Certificate Program (QCP) from AAIT (also referred to as an AAIT QCP approval letter), which must be obtained prior to coming to Canada
in situations where an authorization letter from AAIT does not apply."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...2012/ob434.asp