Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Quick question about General Working Holiday Visa

Quick question about General Working Holiday Visa

Old Dec 4th 2009, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

julia_54 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Quick question about General Working Holiday Visa

My daughter has been looking into applying for a Working Holiday Visa for 2010.

This maybe a silly question but ...

Is there a difference between, the Working Holiday Visa you can apply for on the Canadian Government website under 'Youth Mobility' and the Working Holiday Visa that BUNAC are offering?
Old Dec 5th 2009, 1:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick question about General Working Holiday Visa

Originally Posted by julia_54

Is there a difference between, the Working Holiday Visa you can apply for on the Canadian Government website under 'Youth Mobility' and the Working Holiday Visa that BUNAC are offering?
From a quick search (I've never heard of Youth Mobility before), they seem to be exactly the same thing.

Only thing to be aware of is that the Bunac non-student program for 2010 has now opened, and according to a thread on here yesterday, all visas are expected to have gone by the end of Monday. So she'll need to get her skates on!

Old Dec 6th 2009, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

Rodge9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by julia_54

As far as I'm aware BUNAC is actually the only way someone from the UK can get a working holiday Visa for Canada, so they might be the same thing but she'll have to go through BUNAC in any case.

The main thing though, as christmasoompa says, is that she applies pretty quickly to get her application submitted by the end of January!
Old Dec 6th 2009, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

Mermaid3011 has a spectacular aura aboutMermaid3011 has a spectacular aura aboutMermaid3011 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Rodge9
As far as I'm aware BUNAC is actually the only way someone from the UK can get a working holiday Visa for Canada, so they might be the same thing but she'll have to go through BUNAC in any case.

The main thing though, as christmasoompa says, is that she applies pretty quickly to get her application submitted by the end of January!
Why is there such a run for BUNAC visa this year? Do you think it's the Olympics? Crazy...

@ Julia
yes Bunac and working holiday is the same (just as work & travel or 'youth mobility program'). The official term of the embassy is youth mobility program as far as I know. BUNAC is the british organization who is in channeling the applications in the UK. the term used in Canada to describe your status is 'working holiday visa' or 'work & travel visa'.

I hope this helps.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

roxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond repute

They always go fast! Canada only release so many WHV's a year so it is a first come first serve basis and lets face it, people want to come here because it is great!

I just wish the Buffoons at Bunac weren't allowed to run the programme. I'd rather see the CHC to London run it directly like CHC to New Zealand and Australia.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 9:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roxye3
They always go fast! Canada only release so many WHV's a year so it is a first come first serve basis and lets face it, people want to come here because it is great!
Last year they didn't go until June, and it was April before they ran out in 2008.

So really not sure why they're expected to go within a few days of the programme opening this year!
Old Dec 7th 2009, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Rodge9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by roxye3
I just wish the Buffoons at Bunac weren't allowed to run the programme. I'd rather see the CHC to London run it directly like CHC to New Zealand and Australia.
Agreed, basically they make things convenient for first-timers to do things that, after you've done them, you realised you could have done yourself pretty easily. Which is fine to an extent, some people like the option and should have it, but I don't like the fact they have a monopoly on it, and they charge a fair bit for the privilege. At least there are some things, i.e. flights and insurance that you can arrange yourself.

Originally Posted by Mermaid3011
Why is there such a run for BUNAC visa this year? Do you think it's the Olympics? Crazy...
Not sure...could be the Olympics, although given they start in mid-February which is pretty much as early as you can get into Canada on a WHV, it would seem more likely that those wanting to be there for the games would have got a 2009 Visa (like myself). I'd say the fact that things will now be more evenly-spread between student and non-student, given the new rules, and the fact that certain people (again, like me - well I think) are eligible for consecutive Visas might be increasing the rush. Personally I'd still have signed up ASAP anyway although I was planning on leaving the Police check etc for a while, but shouldn't be too much bother, especially if I can use the spare one I got earlier this year.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 6:18 pm
never settled

S E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to all

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Last year they didn't go until June, and it was April before they ran out in 2008.

So really not sure why they're expected to go within a few days of the programme opening this year!

Van Olympics
Old Dec 8th 2009, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

nikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond reputenikkif99uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S E A N
Van Olympics
I was thinking of applying for a temporary work visa is this the same as the holiday VISA, I just graduated with a degree in American Studies and Film this past summer and spend a year of my degree in Vancouver. Would love to come over and try and intern or get work in casting for TV & Film
Old Dec 14th 2009, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

roxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Because in the past they have. Last year was a slow year in terms of the world economy. They forecast it based on previous good years. Last year is not a good reference point to base the speed at which the WHV's go! You will see this as consistent up until things got murky!

Get 'em while their hot and the Buffoons as Bunac fill their pot!

Last edited by roxye3; Dec 14th 2009 at 5:48 pm.