Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Quick question about English language for citizenship

Quick question about English language for citizenship

Old Apr 5th 2014, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Quick question about English language for citizenship

Hi. I'm currently completing the forms to apply for citizenship, and I'm not sure if I need to sit a test or not for English.
Do my O levels and GCSE's exempt me from taking a test ? Or do I need A level or a degree. Not sure if they are acceptable.
I had to take an lpi test to get my real estate license but that exam doesn't count for this so would need to take another.

If my school exams are ok then it will save me a few moths of waiting until I can get in to sit one.

Cheers.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

Ling_Noi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Quick question about English language for citizenship

Originally Posted by 4d32ftw
Hi. I'm currently completing the forms to apply for citizenship, and I'm not sure if I need to sit a test or not for English.
Do my O levels and GCSE's exempt me from taking a test ? Or do I need A level or a degree. Not sure if they are acceptable.
I had to take an lpi test to get my real estate license but that exam doesn't count for this so would need to take another.

If my school exams are ok then it will save me a few moths of waiting until I can get in to sit one.

Cheers.
Unfortunately everyone needs to take the IELTS. GCSE English doesn't count as they don't provide accurate enough score.

IELTS will give CIC an indication of all four language skills: reading, writing, speaking and listening. You need a score of at least 6 in all skills to get points.

If you are native English speaker it should be relatively easily to gain top marks in all skills. That being said I would still study for the exam as it's an easy 24 points on your application (if you are applying for FSW).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...ge-testing.asp
Old Apr 20th 2014, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

2. Language Proof if you are 18-54 years of age

Select one of the following types of proof to submit with your application:
Proof of completion of secondary or post-secondary education in French or English includes:

A diploma or transcripts from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating the successful completion of a program, in Canada or abroad. or
A diploma or certificate from a secondary or post-secondary school indicating successful graduation, in Canada or abroad.
Note:You must have successfully finished a secondary or post-secondary program in English or French. A single course done in English or French does not meet the requirement. The diploma, certificate or transcript should be in English or French. The document must clearly show that the program was completed with English or French as the language of instruction. If the original document is not in English or French then you must also include a letter in English or French from the institution indicating that the language of instruction was in English or French along with a translation of the original document.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa....asp#CIT0002e4
Old Apr 20th 2014, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Ignore my post. I was assuming PR requirements would be the same as those for citizenship.

Strange that citizenship requirements are more lax than PR.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 2:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ling_Noi
Ignore my post. I was assuming PR requirements would be the same as those for citizenship.

Strange that citizenship requirements are more lax than PR.
Although for the sake of anybody reading, IELTS isn't required for all PR applications either.

HTH.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Although for the sake of anybody reading, IELTS isn't required for all PR applications either.

HTH.
Those fluent in french I'm assuming?
Old Apr 20th 2014, 2:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ling_Noi
Those fluent in french I'm assuming?
No. Most PR routes don't require IELTs, out of the 50+ only a handful need IELTS.

HTH.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
No. Most PR routes don't require IELTs, out of the 50+ only a handful need IELTS.

HTH.
Oh right.

I was referring to FSW PR. I should have been clear on that.