Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Questions regarding skilled worker process

Questions regarding skilled worker process

Old Feb 10th 2010, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

Matt-B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions regarding skilled worker process

Hi All,

My partner and I have been exploring the idea of moving to Canada, and over the last few days we have been specifically looking at the skilled workers route.

My partner (we have been living together for 2 years now) is a Finance Manager, which we have noticed is on THE LIST. She has been working in this position (for 2 different companies) for well over a year. She is studying towards her CIMA (Chartered Insititute of Management Accountants) qualification, and is very nearly finished, but isn't yet fully qualified (we anticipate this will happen this year or next.) At the moment, she is designated part-qualified. After a bit of Googling, it seems the CIMA qualification when completed is equivalent to a masters?

I have a Bachelors degree, and am fluent in both English and French but my profession isn't on THE LIST.

I have a couple of questions which I was hoping someone might be able to help me with -

I have been playing about with the ponts quiz on the CIC website - it seems that if my partner was qualified, we pass without a problem, however I am not sure how to input her PQ status in the quiz. Has anyone else been accepted when part-qualified?

With the answer to my first question in mind, would it be better for us to wait until she has completed her qualification to submit an application? Or will work experience in a job on THE LIST and proof of ongoing study be sufficient?

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Matt
Old Feb 10th 2010, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Questions regarding skilled worker process

Hi Matt, welcome to BE

I can't anwers your question directly, however you may need to qualify your statement;

"After a bit of Googling, it seems the CIMA qualification when completed is equivalent to a masters?"

According to whom, and is the CIMA qualification recognised in Canada ?

Q2;
If the qualification is recognised, do the calculation without the qualification, if you have sufficient points without the quals, then it doesnt matter either way.

If the qualification counts towards your points, then you must provide qualified proof when it comes to providing the application paperwork.

Last edited by spaceace; Feb 10th 2010 at 10:04 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

I think I have found an answer here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...highlight=CIMA

Ho-hum, so if we pass the points test with my OHs diploma (achieved as part of the CIMA study) then we're good to go, otherwise wait until she is fully qualified?

Is there anyone who has gone through the process as CIMA PQ?

I think we will have to sit down this weekend and work out for definite if we are eligible prior to her qualifying or not, and go from there!
Old Feb 10th 2010, 11:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matt-B
Ho-hum, so if we pass the points test with my OHs diploma (achieved as part of the CIMA study) then we're good to go, otherwise wait until she is fully qualified?
Exactly right. You can't claim points for a qualification not yet completed. So somebody in the first year of their degree for example, cannot claim points for that degree until they've actually obtained it.

So you'll need to either wait until she's obtained her CIMA (which btw won't count as a masters for points purposes, only a diploma), or apply before if she has enough points.

Hope that helps, good luck and welcome to the forum.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

Thanks christmasoompa!

Yes, I realised after reading the thread I linked above that study towards a qualification would not be accepted as part of the application.

As she is due to finish so soon (end of this year, hopefully), it may be advantageous to our application to wait until then. Alternatively, we may be able to scrape in with the diploma she has. It's frustrating though, as she has reams of work experience!

Thank you all for your help. We would still be really interested in hearing form any CIMA graduates who went via this route though, so if that's you, please feel free to reply or drop me a PM!
Old Feb 10th 2010, 11:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matt-B
Thanks christmasoompa!

Yes, I realised after reading the thread I linked above that study towards a qualification would not be accepted as part of the application.

As she is due to finish so soon (end of this year, hopefully), it may be advantageous to our application to wait until then. Alternatively, we may be able to scrape in with the diploma she has. It's frustrating though, as she has reams of work experience!

Thank you all for your help. We would still be really interested in hearing form any CIMA graduates who went via this route though, so if that's you, please feel free to reply or drop me a PM!
If you can apply now, it would be best to. 'The list' can change at any time, so there's no guarantee her job will still be on it by the time she's finished her CIMA.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

Hmm, that's a little worrying!

OK, I think we will have to put our brains together this weekend and see if it would be possible to apply this year...

Thanks again for the advice.