Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Questions re. Police Clearance from Latin American countries...

Wikiposts

Questions re. Police Clearance from Latin American countries...

Old Apr 27th 2002, 7:00 pm
Apastor

Default Questions re. Police Clearance from Latin American countries...

Hello to everybody,

For my PR application, I need to get police clearance documents from the following
countries:

- Panama
- Venezuela
- Brazil
- Uruguay
- Argentina
- Chile

I live in Mexico, and visited these countries regularly for professional purposes
(i.e. stayed there for 6+ months, work visas, no residency, no citizenship). The
embassies from these countries in Mexico have told me that they can't help me to get
the Police Clearance documents.

I have two questions for anybody that has had the same problem or knows how to
deal with it:

1. I can get a letter from each country's embassy stating this can't be done from
Mexico. Will this be enough for the immigration officer?

2. Has anybody got a police clearance for these countries, from home country? If so,
how did you do it?

Any comments or past experiences are welcome.

TIA.

AP

Old May 1st 2002, 10:30 am
Apastor

Default Re: Questions re. Police Clearance from Latin American countries...

Hello again,

Aw, come on... anybody from Latin America round here? Any ideas about how to get
certificates from "overseas" are welcome.

Regards,

AP

[email protected] (APastor) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > Hello to everybody,
    >
    > For my PR application, I need to get police clearance documents from the following
    > countries:
    >
    > - Panama
    > - Venezuela
    > - Brazil
    > - Uruguay
    > - Argentina
    > - Chile
    >
    > I live in Mexico, and visited these countries regularly for professional purposes
    > (i.e. stayed there for 6+ months, work visas, no residency, no citizenship). The
    > embassies from these countries in Mexico have told me that they can't help me to
    > get the Police Clearance documents.
    >
    > I have two questions for anybody that has had the same problem or knows how to deal
    > with it:
    >
    > 1. I can get a letter from each country's embassy stating this can't be done from
    > Mexico. Will this be enough for the immigration officer?
    >
    > 2. Has anybody got a police clearance for these countries, from home country? If
    > so, how did you do it?
    >
    > Any comments or past experiences are welcome.
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > AP

Old May 1st 2002, 12:00 pm
Jay

Off topic a bit... but are you really a pastor? "APastor" <[email protected]>
wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hello again,
    >
    > Aw, come on... anybody from Latin America round here? Any ideas about how to get
    > certificates from "overseas" are welcome.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > AP
    >
    > [email protected] (APastor) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > > Hello to everybody,
    > >
    > > For my PR application, I need to get police clearance documents from the
    > > following countries:
    > >
    > > - Panama
    > > - Venezuela
    > > - Brazil
    > > - Uruguay
    > > - Argentina
    > > - Chile
    > >
    > > I live in Mexico, and visited these countries regularly for professional purposes
    > > (i.e. stayed there for 6+ months, work visas, no residency, no citizenship). The
    > > embassies from these countries in Mexico have told me that they can't help me to
    > > get the Police Clearance documents.
    > >
    > > I have two questions for anybody that has had the same problem or knows how to
    > > deal with it:
    > >
    > > 1. I can get a letter from each country's embassy stating this can't be done from
    > > Mexico. Will this be enough for the immigration officer?
    > >
    > > 2. Has anybody got a police clearance for these countries, from home country? If
    > > so, how did you do it?
    > >
    > > Any comments or past experiences are welcome.
    > >
    > > TIA.
    > >
    > > AP

Old May 1st 2002, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Leisure is an unknown quantity at this point

How do you get one for Mexico?

I lived in Mexico for +6 months and even though Buffalo does not require you to send it (according to office specific information section); I've heard that some people have been asked for it.

I tried to get it from the US and looks like the consulates have no clue. Also I tried to research a little more with the help of a friend in Mexico, and he said that the police authorities do not issue police clearances at all.

Any thoughts?
Old May 1st 2002, 3:30 pm
Cagogua

Hello "TIA" Supongo que hablas espaniol...? o no? bueno la verdad es que para nuestra
aplicacion tuvimos que demostrar tambien certificados judiciales or police clearance
certificates from countries like Colombia and Egypt.. y me extrania mucho que te
hayan dicho en los consulados que ese servicio no lo ofrecen porque precisamente para
eso estan. En nuestro caso nos dirigimos a los respectivos consulados y alli nos
dieron unas formas y estas fueron enviadas a los paises para hacer el background
check... no se me ocurre ninguna otra posibilidad y lo aburrido del asuntoe s que
toma bastante tiempo recibir esos documentos de vuelta. Hope this helps. C

Old May 2nd 2002, 2:00 am
Apastor

"Jay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Off topic a bit... but are you really a pastor? "APastor" <[email protected]>
    > wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Hello,

No... I'm not. That's my last name.

Regards,

AP

Old May 2nd 2002, 2:30 am
Apastor

Leisure <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > How do you get one for Mexico?
    >
    > I lived in Mexico for +6 months and even though Buffalo does not require you to
    > send it (according to office specific information section); I've heard that some
    > people have been asked for it.
    >
    > I tried to get it from the US and looks like the consulates have no clue. Also I
    > tried to research a little more with the help of a friend in Mexico, and he said
    > that the police authorities do not issue police clearances at all.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

Hello Leisure,

Police clearances in Mexico are definitely issued, but getting them is not
straightforward. The visa post (Mexico for me) has to issue a formal request (fancy
letter, fancy letterhead, fancy wording) to the "Procuraduría General de la
República" (PGR, Mexico's Department of Justice) asking for it. You get that letter
once your application has been paper screened, at least. Mine came with medicals
form. You have to take such letter, along with some photographs, bank payment (done
through a local bank with "Secretaría de Hacienda y Crédito Publico"
(i.e. IRS), and a bunch of other stuff to PGR offices. They do the fingerprinting.
All this takes like half a day, certificate is ready in 2/3 weeks. You have
then to pick it up yourself.

Check the "Application Kit" for Mexico: re. police clearances; it says you should
wait for further instructions. It is so complex a process that I guess it's
impossible to do from overseas, or from a visa post other than Mexico (no fancy
letter, no PC, no matter what you do).

Venezuela seems to operate much in the same fashion, but you don't get the letter, as
the visa post does some of this stuff for you, and you don't get fingerprinted... I
don't know, that's why I'm asking!

As for the other countries, the specific kits give you some instructions as to how to
get PC's locally. They don't help much if you're out of the country.

What I've seen is that it seems different visa posts do not communicate between
themselves at all. Quite disappointing, to say the least. And a darn mess for me. For
instance, check this:
- I have now a formal request from Mexico's visa post asking for a Venezuela PC, or
my application gets refused, and
- If you check Buffalo's kit, it says (for Venezuela) that non residents might find
it impossible to get such a document, and
- If you check Venezuela's kit, it says it will be checked by the visa post, and
- If you write to the venezuelan visa post and ask for info., they'll probably tell
you that your visa post should formally contact them and ask for it (that's what
they told me, anyway).

Bottom line: big mess. If anybody has gone through something like this, and has
succeeded in getting their PR, please share your thoughts with me.

Sorry for the long post.

Regards,

AP

Old May 2nd 2002, 3:00 am
Apastor

[email protected] (Cagogua) wrote in message
    > Hello "TIA" Supongo que hablas espaniol...? o no? bueno la verdad es que para
    > nuestra aplicacion tuvimos que demostrar tambien certificados judiciales or police
    > clearance certificates from countries like Colombia and Egypt.. y me extrania mucho
    > que te hayan dicho en los consulados que ese servicio no lo ofrecen porque
    > precisamente para eso estan. En nuestro caso nos dirigimos a los respectivos
    > consulados y alli nos dieron unas formas y estas fueron enviadas a los paises para
    > hacer el background check... no se me ocurre ninguna otra posibilidad y lo aburrido
    > del asuntoe s que toma bastante tiempo recibir esos documentos de vuelta. Hope this
    > helps. C

Hola Cagogua,

Gracias por tu mensaje. Ya intenté con los consulados. En la mayoría me dijeron que
no me pueden ayudar. En el brasileño además se pusieron bastante necios y
desagradables. He leído por aquí casos de gente que sí han tenido suerte, pero con
países más civilizados como Alemania y Japón (o Colombia y Egipto, en tu caso). Pero
para éstos, no ha habido forma...

Cuando salga de ésta, ya pondré una nota por aquí, sea en un "got it" o en una
mentada de madre al visa post de México.

Saludos,

AP

PD: "TIA" = Thanks In Advance...

Old May 3rd 2002, 9:30 am
Jay

Okay. I was just wondering. Interesting last name. "APastor" <[email protected]>
wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > Off topic a bit... but are you really a pastor? "APastor" <[email protected]>
    > > wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > Hello,
    >
    > No... I'm not. That's my last name.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > AP

Old May 18th 2002, 1:20 pm
Map

I am from Argentina, and knowing how things are there, I have no idea how you can get
a clearance if not from a lawyer.

"APastor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hello to everybody,
    >
    > For my PR application, I need to get police clearance documents from the following
    > countries:
    >
    > - Panama
    > - Venezuela
    > - Brazil
    > - Uruguay
    > - Argentina
    > - Chile
    >
    > I live in Mexico, and visited these countries regularly for professional purposes
    > (i.e. stayed there for 6+ months, work visas, no residency, no citizenship). The
    > embassies from these countries in Mexico have told me that they can't help me to
    > get the Police Clearance documents.
    >
    > I have two questions for anybody that has had the same problem or knows how to deal
    > with it:
    >
    > 1. I can get a letter from each country's embassy stating this can't be done from
    > Mexico. Will this be enough for the immigration officer?
    >
    > 2. Has anybody got a police clearance for these countries, from home country? If
    > so, how did you do it?
    >
    > Any comments or past experiences are welcome.
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > AP