Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Questions re:medical's deadline & visa exp date

Questions re:medical's deadline & visa exp date

Old Feb 15th 2010, 6:16 am
Just Joined

nsetiap is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions re:medical's deadline & visa exp date

Hi all,
I am AINP nominee currently living in the US and sent my application to Buffalo last year. 2 weeks ago (Feb 3) I received file# along with medical form. I'm planning to move to Alberta by September 2011 and therefore, I'm thinking if I can do the medical by September 2010 I then will get immigration visa up to Sept 2011. But there are several issue surrounding my situation in which I hope someone in this forum can help:

1. Is there a deadline for me to do the medical? Is it possible that I do the medical in Sept 2010 while I received the request in Feb (this mean I do the medical 7 months after receiving the request)?

2. My wife passport (not US passport) expired in Sept 2011 and we can renew it 3/4 months before its expiration date (we can renew it in June/July 2011). My question: if Buffalo asking for our passport before we renew it, and assuming we can do the medical in Sept 2010, are they going to give the immigration visa up to Sept 2011 for my wife? In other words, are they going to give immigration visa for 12 months from the date we do the medical or up to the expiration date of our passport whichever come first?

I know there's another possibilities which just do the landing and then come back to US, but, would like to know the answer to these questions first, therefore, greatly appreciated if someone could give me any info or share their experience. Thx!
Old Feb 15th 2010, 8:33 am
Future Albertan

Kaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions re:medical's deadline & visa exp date

Your medical requests should give a timeline, usually about 45 days to get them done... not 7 months anyway

I *think* it works that you would have to land before the passport expires, so for example if your medicals expired in March but your passport expired in February you would have to land by February.

Better to renew any passports close to expiring asap.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
If she holds a British Passport, you do not have to wait for a couple of months before the passport expires as they will credit you with an additional 9 months, if you have 9 months or more validity on the passport when you renew. Not sure how this works for other passports, you would need to check.

So do it now as it will be worth 10 year and 9 months, so you do not lose much
lol
Stef

Originally Posted by nsetiap
Hi all,
I am AINP nominee currently living in the US and sent my application to Buffalo last year. 2 weeks ago (Feb 3) I received file# along with medical form. I'm planning to move to Alberta by September 2011 and therefore, I'm thinking if I can do the medical by September 2010 I then will get immigration visa up to Sept 2011. But there are several issue surrounding my situation in which I hope someone in this forum can help:

1. Is there a deadline for me to do the medical? Is it possible that I do the medical in Sept 2010 while I received the request in Feb (this mean I do the medical 7 months after receiving the request)?

2. My wife passport (not US passport) expired in Sept 2011 and we can renew it 3/4 months before its expiration date (we can renew it in June/July 2011). My question: if Buffalo asking for our passport before we renew it, and assuming we can do the medical in Sept 2010, are they going to give the immigration visa up to Sept 2011 for my wife? In other words, are they going to give immigration visa for 12 months from the date we do the medical or up to the expiration date of our passport whichever come first?

I know there's another possibilities which just do the landing and then come back to US, but, would like to know the answer to these questions first, therefore, greatly appreciated if someone could give me any info or share their experience. Thx!
Old Feb 15th 2010, 11:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kaye.
Your medical requests should give a timeline, usually about 45 days to get them done... not 7 months anyway

I *think* it works that you would have to land before the passport expires, so for example if your medicals expired in March but your passport expired in February you would have to land by February.

Better to renew any passports close to expiring asap.
There's a timeline for doing medical in which we should do it immediately and (I quote from medical instruction): "failure to do so within 60 days ot this notice will result in unnecessary delays in the processing of your application". It doesn't say that if we failure to do the medical within 60 days it will result in the necessity of re-application. It use the word "unnecessary delays". That said, would it be OK if I do medical more than 60 days??
Old Feb 15th 2010, 11:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Hi
If she holds a British Passport, you do not have to wait for a couple of months before the passport expires as they will credit you with an additional 9 months, if you have 9 months or more validity on the passport when you renew. Not sure how this works for other passports, you would need to check.

So do it now as it will be worth 10 year and 9 months, so you do not lose much
lol
Stef
unfortunately, she's not holding a British passport. Thx for responding!
Old Feb 17th 2010, 2:33 am
Just Joined

anyone in this forum can share info or their experience related to my questions/concern?