Questions on PR in Canada

Old Feb 5th 2024, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

KiraM06 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions on PR in Canada

Me (23) and my partner (27) are looking at immigrating over to Canada, we are looking to hopefully move beginning of 2026, and wanted to know if this was a realistic time line, we have both served in the UK military with myself having a high school education, and my partner the same, but also a college education and now a degree in engineering, we haven’t applied yet, but are looking at the EE route, any information would be great !
we are looking at taking the English tests next week, we think as my partner has the degree he is the better one to be the one applying and I will go onto his application, do I wait to take the test or shall I take it to?
Old Feb 5th 2024, 1:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions on PR in Canada

Originally Posted by KiraM06
Me (23) and my partner (27) are looking at immigrating over to Canada, we are looking to hopefully move beginning of 2026, and wanted to know if this was a realistic time line, we have both served in the UK military with myself having a high school education, and my partner the same, but also a college education and now a degree in engineering, we haven’t applied yet, but are looking at the EE route, any information would be great !
we are looking at taking the English tests next week, we think as my partner has the degree he is the better one to be the one applying and I will go onto his application, do I wait to take the test or shall I take it to?
Hi, welcome to BE. Just checking, but you've worked out your points scores and know that you'll be scoring enough on the CRS to get PR via EE? Just making sure before you pay all that money for IELTS which may be useless if you don't score enough anyway! Whether you should take the test too will depend on your partners point score, and if he needs those extra points for your language ability to get his score up or not.

Yes, 2026 is realistic. Once you are selected from the EE pool and invited to apply for PR, you can drag things out to about a year before you get PR. Then once you have PR you have a year from the date of your medical to land and activate your status, and then once you have that, you have to live in Canada for 2 years out of every 5 to maintain your status. So 2026 is no problem.

HTH, good luck.
Old Feb 5th 2024, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

KiraM06 is an unknown quantity at this point

How do I know what score I will get on the English test though?
and what score do you need to be eligible for EE

Last edited by KiraM06; Feb 5th 2024 at 4:58 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2024, 5:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KiraM06
How do I know what score I will get on the English test though?
and what score do you need to be eligible for EE
You just need to guess for now, assume max points as native speakers - there is no point in paying to take the test if you wouldn't be eligible to get PR via EE anyway! So check your CRS scores giving yourself max points for English and then see what you get.

You'd need above approx 500 as a rough guide, unless you come under one of the prioritised categories (i.e. certain occupations, French speakers etc). You can see all the previous draws here - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ry-rounds.html

HTH.