Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Questions: Musician moving to Toronto

Questions: Musician moving to Toronto

Old Sep 15th 2004, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

Trey Combs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions: Musician moving to Toronto

Hello everyone, I'm a musician from the states and I'm trying to find a way to live and play in Toronto. I'll give you all my information and maybe you can help me formulate the best plan of attack.
I'm 34 years old and Live in Cincinnati. I have a college degree in music education and have taught privately in the same location (through a music store) for eight years. I also freelance as a professional musician playing in many different groups as musicians often do. I have done some studio work in St. Johns as well as other places. Technically, I'm self employed as my teaching job sub contracts me and pays me with a 1099 form like the rest of my work. I make about $25,000 US a year and have about $10,000 in savings.
I am divorved and have a girlfriend in Toronto. We would be willing to get married if we thought that would help.
I took a preliminary migration test and scored a 71 (67 seems to be the cutoff). I do not have an employer lined up in Toronto. My girlfriend and I have both worked on cruise ships and have thought about doing that to buy us some time together while we try to get through this process. I am at the beginning here so I wanted some opinions before I push the ball down the hill.
Here are some basic questions I have:

Is trying to obtain a work visa the first step? If so, as a skilled worker, should I try to approach this as a self-employed musician who scored 71 on the immigration test or would I be better off trying to find an employer to help me with a work visa? The entire process doesn't really seem to cater to my profession very well; yet I see so many artists from all over the world in Toronto and wonder how they got there.

How should I approach my relationship status? Would it be more beneficial to be single or married or does it matter at all. I'm wanting to achieve full Canadian citizenship in the long haul, but I've got to get established in Toronto first.

Thanks for your help,
Trey
Old Sep 15th 2004, 4:32 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Questions: Musician moving to Toronto

Information you provided is not sufficient enough to give you any solid advice and/or suggestion which route to take.

You are welcome to contact me directly for free evaluation of your chances and options - simply click on my name to the left and select "Send email to ..."

Originally Posted by Trey Combs
Hello everyone, I'm a musician from the states and I'm trying to find a way to live and play in Toronto. I'll give you all my information and maybe you can help me formulate the best plan of attack.
I'm 34 years old and Live in Cincinnati. I have a college degree in music education and have taught privately in the same location (through a music store) for eight years. I also freelance as a professional musician playing in many different groups as musicians often do. I have done some studio work in St. Johns as well as other places. Technically, I'm self employed as my teaching job sub contracts me and pays me with a 1099 form like the rest of my work. I make about $25,000 US a year and have about $10,000 in savings.
I am divorved and have a girlfriend in Toronto. We would be willing to get married if we thought that would help.
I took a preliminary migration test and scored a 71 (67 seems to be the cutoff). I do not have an employer lined up in Toronto. My girlfriend and I have both worked on cruise ships and have thought about doing that to buy us some time together while we try to get through this process. I am at the beginning here so I wanted some opinions before I push the ball down the hill.
Here are some basic questions I have:

Is trying to obtain a work visa the first step? If so, as a skilled worker, should I try to approach this as a self-employed musician who scored 71 on the immigration test or would I be better off trying to find an employer to help me with a work visa? The entire process doesn't really seem to cater to my profession very well; yet I see so many artists from all over the world in Toronto and wonder how they got there.

How should I approach my relationship status? Would it be more beneficial to be single or married or does it matter at all. I'm wanting to achieve full Canadian citizenship in the long haul, but I've got to get established in Toronto first.

Thanks for your help,
Trey
Old Sep 15th 2004, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

MrsCanada is an unknown quantity at this point

If you really love her ,get married and have her sponsor you. Simple as that.
Old Sep 16th 2004, 6:48 am
Just Joined

Max Chaudhary is an unknown quantity at this point

The vast majority of self-employed applications are fraught with a significant amount of discretion on the part of the officer, who must consider things such as whether you can support yourself in Canada, and whether your endeavour would be 'cultural'. By contrast, an officer assessing a marriage application need only confront the issue of whether the marriage is 'real' - whether you shall reside with your canadian sponsor as a spouse after you land.
Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Information you provided is not sufficient enough to give you any solid advice and/or suggestion which route to take.

You are welcome to contact me directly for free evaluation of your chances and options - simply click on my name to the left and select "Send email to ..."
Old Sep 17th 2004, 12:00 am
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MrsCanada
If you really love her ,get married and have her sponsor you. Simple as that.
Agreed! If you are serious that is the quickest and simplest way.