Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Questions! Funds-How/What to Declare??

Questions! Funds-How/What to Declare??

Old Mar 25th 2008, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

Smart Cookie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions! Funds-How/What to Declare??

Hi everyone, we are due to 'land' in Canada at the beginning of May, and want to know if the required funds we have to show (family of 4, approx $19,000) has to be in cash, or can we show bank statements with this amount on, to immigration when we arrive (or are they not even bothered??)

If bank statements are OK, do they have to be Canadian or can they be British and how recent do they have to be?

If we do have to physically take in cash, it says we must declare anything over $10,000. Is this per family, or per person and are there any implications or extra taxes/duty for doing so?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I am probably getting my knickers in a twist about nothing, but can't seem to get answers anywhere about this!

Thanks
Old Mar 26th 2008, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions! Funds-How/What to Declare??

British bank statements should be OK, particularly if you can get an ATM printout with the current balance the morning you fly over. Most people from the UK aren't asked for proof anyway.

If you take $10,000+ in cash, I believe it's per family rather than per person; but so long as you declare it there's no problem. After all, you already had to prove to CHC that you legitimately had the money, it's not as though you're appearing out of nowhere with a million dollars in a suitcase .