Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Questions on education section for PR

Questions on education section for PR

Old Nov 23rd 2010, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Tripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant future
Default Re: Questions on education section for PR

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
What is your current job title?
I'm a Global Transformation Lead within Hewlett Packard. I work in Quality and Service Excellence but my particular skills are Lean Six Sigma Black Belt and years of managerial experience but the real value comes from the mindset and knowledge of all manner of things from team and personal psychology through alternative thinking and into more straightforward quality-related knowledge.

Now, I can't fit that into a NOC category so any suggestions are welcome.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 3:28 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tripitaka
I'm a Global Transformation Lead within Hewlett Packard. I work in Quality and Service Excellence but my particular skills are Lean Six Sigma Black Belt and years of managerial experience but the real value comes from the mindset and knowledge of all manner of things from team and personal psychology through alternative thinking and into more straightforward quality-related knowledge.

Now, I can't fit that into a NOC category so any suggestions are welcome.
Wow...thats a job description and a half.

Okay, my brain fell asleep before. The NOC is not relevant as you are applying with arranged employment.

Do you have a wife/common-law spouse who will be going with you? You can gain points for them in various areas.
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

Tripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant futureTripitaka has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Wow...thats a job description and a half.

Okay, my brain fell asleep before. The NOC is not relevant as you are applying with arranged employment.

Do you have a wife/common-law spouse who will be going with you? You can gain points for them in various areas.
LOL! Tell me about it! At the other end of the scale is my *actual* internal job title which is MGR1. Equally useless.

I have a wife but I'm sure that Fragomen have taken all this into account before declaring that I need the 5 points from the two areas. They seem content with what I have proposed from the info on here so we will have to wait and see. They can't apply until AFTER I get to Canada anyway as I won't get my indeterminate job offer from HP Canada (yes, believe it, we are all different entities) until I have my TWP and I won't have that until I land. C'est la vie.

Booking my IELTS tomorrow!
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 5:48 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

LOL! Tell me about it! At the other end of the scale is my *actual* internal job title which is MGR1. Equally useless.

I have a wife but I'm sure that Fragomen have taken all this into account before declaring that I need the 5 points from the two areas. They seem content with what I have proposed from the info on here so we will have to wait and see. They can't apply until AFTER I get to Canada anyway as I won't get my indeterminate job offer from HP Canada (yes, believe it, we are all different entities) until I have my TWP and I won't have that until I land. C'est la vie.

Booking my IELTS tomorrow!
I would just double check how they have made up your score - don't forget they didn't mention to you that you need to take the IELTS so sometimes things can be overlooked and if you could make up 5 points because of your Wife's education then that would be fab.

Good luck !
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 5:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I won't get my indeterminate job offer from HP Canada (yes, believe it, we are all different entities) until I have my TWP and I won't have that until I land.
You'll need the job offer letter before you arrive in Canada anyway - it's required for the TWP! Could you apply for the TWP before you go rather than at POE?
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You'll need the job offer letter before you arrive in Canada anyway - it's required for the TWP! Could you apply for the TWP before you go rather than at POE?
I did have the option to wait and apply through London but that would have added 2-3 months to the wait and there are a number of factors why that was undesirable. Because of the straightforward nature of the move, I decided that the risk was low enough to go with the POE option.

The timing of the offer letter etc is all handled by the agents acting for HP so I'll make sure that it is part of the bundle.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 2:52 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

loser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant future
Question Re: Questions on education section for PR

So, as I started school aged 4 and left at 16 I'll be OK applying for NS PNP ?

Is it 12 or 13 calender years, if it is I'd fall a few months short.

Would a night school book keeping qualification help ?

TIA,

M.

Last edited by loser40; Dec 16th 2010 at 2:55 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by loser40
So, as I started school aged 4 and left at 16 I'll be OK ?

Or is it 12 calender years, if it is I'd fall a few months short.

TIA,

M.
I would say that you will probably be short as you would have started some months after you turned 4 and finished shortly after your 16th birthday. In any event, my understanding is that you need to prove it, not just tell them it is so.

I have my start date at 4yrs of age and my finish date at 16 yrs and it is only just over 11 years. I'm relying on my vocational training to make up the extra years.

I'm not entirely clear on what the process is if you cannot prove the dates. My wife, for example, has found her start date but her secondary school "no longer have the records" for her finish date. They subsequently told her that they were destroyed in a fire.

You will also need copies or evidence of your exam certificates from high school as confirmation of your credentials for completing. Just having the years is not enough; you must also have at least one qualification.

Then there is your IELTS...

If you don't have the educational stuff, you might want to get on a course to learn French as that will give you some much needed points to compensate.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 4:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I would say that you will probably be short as you would have started some months after you turned 4 and finished shortly after your 16th birthday. In any event, my understanding is that you need to prove it, not just tell them it is so.

I have my start date at 4yrs of age and my finish date at 16 yrs and it is only just over 11 years. I'm relying on my vocational training to make up the extra years.

I'm not entirely clear on what the process is if you cannot prove the dates. My wife, for example, has found her start date but her secondary school "no longer have the records" for her finish date. They subsequently told her that they were destroyed in a fire.

You will also need copies or evidence of your exam certificates from high school as confirmation of your credentials for completing. Just having the years is not enough; you must also have at least one qualification.

Then there is your IELTS...

If you don't have the educational stuff, you might want to get on a course to learn French as that will give you some much needed points to compensate.
Methinks you're confused - Loser40 says he's applying via NS PNP! So no points score, IELTS requirement, etc.

Loser40, what PNP route are you applying under? Most routes will require post-secondary education - for example, the NS CIS requires at least one year full-time post secondary education. Did you obtain any qualifications after finishing secondary school?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 16th 2010 at 4:23 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Methinks you're confused
That is without question! and in so many ways.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 4:24 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

loser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant future

Hi...

Haven't applied yet, but I imagine it would be under Community Identified Stream... I may have to learn some French in order to get a few extra points.

M.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 4:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

That is without question! and in so many ways.
Welcome to my world. Put the phone in the fridge today and couldn't work out where on earth it was until it rung. DOH!
Old Dec 16th 2010, 4:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Haven't applied yet, but I imagine it would be under Community Identified Stream... I may have to learn some French in order to get a few extra points.
I think you need to research a LOT more! There is no points requirement at all for the CIS, but you must have at least one year post-secondary education. So do you have this?
Old Dec 16th 2010, 4:37 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

Hello again...

Thanks for the info.

No, I do not have any years post secondary education. All I do have done is a 3 month, 1 evening a week, book keeping course, which I passed.

Do you know if it must be a full time year, or would part time suffice ?

Is there an online guide line on what amounts to 1 years post education... the amount of hours studied, courses that qualify (must they be academic, or would recreational be OK) etc ?

Thanks for your help

Mark.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 4:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

No, I do not have any years post secondary education. All I do have done is a 3 month, 1 evening a week, book keeping course, which I passed.

Do you know if it must be a full time year, or would part time suffice ?

Is there an online guide line on what amounts to 1 years post education... the amount of hours studied, courses that qualify (must they be academic, or would recreational be OK) etc ?

Thanks for your help

Mark.
It must be at least one year full-time (or the equivalent, i.e. three years part-time). I know that they're really picky for the NS CIS as well, there are people who've struggled to get full-time NVQ's accepted as they've seen them just as part of secondary education! So one evening a week over 3 months definitely won't qualify I'm afraid.

You'll either have to do a year's post-secondary education, or look at other visa routes, sorry.

If you want to read more info about the CIS and the eligibility requirements, have a look at this...............http://novascotiaimmigration.com/sit...Sept._2007.pdf