Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Questions about Worker HolidayMaker from canada to the UK

Questions about Worker HolidayMaker from canada to the UK

Old Jan 16th 2002, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

pa_cheeks is an unknown quantity at this point

I am heading to Northern Ireland from Canada in May of this year with a working holiday maker visa. I was concerned about the fact that you can only work full time for half of your stay or part time for the full length of my stay. Is that really important? I mean for example what if I intend to stay in the UK for 2 years and I have worked full time for one year and return? Will they hold me? =)

I also would like to know if anyone can help me out with some info concerning what I should look into in terms of life insurance or Medicare from Quebec? Also possible need of international Drivers Licence? In terms of taxes in the UK, will I need to pay them? Annualy ofcourse?

If you guys have any other info you can help me with or give me a few sites that can help me answer thse questions that would be much appreciated!
Old Jan 18th 2002, 3:28 am
Omerfarooq

in UK nobody cares how long you are staying on the WHM visa ( with a maximum limit
of upto 2 years) and whether you are working full-time or part-time, so don't
worry about it

Health care in UK is given by the NHS and its free for almost everyone. Where ever
you live, find the nearest GP and get registered.

I think its a good idea to take some insurance for accidents or something like that.

Once you find a job there, you need to apply for the NI number (like our SIN) and
open a bank account as well.

The employer will deduct taxes at the time of pay (PAYE system). If you pay more or
less taxes during the tax year (in your case may 2002 to march
2003), you can settle it in the month of april or may 2003. Just go to the nearest
Inland Revenue Office, and they'll tell you the procedure.

Have a great time.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >