Questions about TWP

Old May 10th 2012, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

roflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really nice
Default Questions about TWP

Hi all!

I'm currently waiting on a (hopefully positive!) LMO for a job I was offered last month. The employer is well aware of the timescales involved (sounds like they've done this before), as they've said they expect it to take "between 8 and 14 weeks" (their words).

Since it's a temporary work permit, they way I understood things were that the job offer had to also be temporary. My job offer makes no mention of this, so I mentioned this to them and they've said that they've applied for a 3 year LMO, and because it's a longer period of time the job offer doesn't have say it's temporary. Is this true? I know that what they've applied for and what they'll get can easily be two different things, but I just want to be sure...

The second thing is that if the LMO is positive, is there any advantage to applying for a TWP before I go? From what I've read, the answer seems to be 'not particularly', but I'm that even with a positive LMO, applying at the POE isn't necessarily a given.

I was thinking about giving up smoking, but I think if I did now it'd send me over the edge... and that's before I've even got there!

Cheers!

Andy.
Old May 10th 2012, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions about TWP

Originally Posted by roflwell
Hi all!

I'm currently waiting on a (hopefully positive!) LMO for a job I was offered last month. The employer is well aware of the timescales involved (sounds like they've done this before), as they've said they expect it to take "between 8 and 14 weeks" (their words).

Since it's a temporary work permit, they way I understood things were that the job offer had to also be temporary. My job offer makes no mention of this, so I mentioned this to them and they've said that they've applied for a 3 year LMO, and because it's a longer period of time the job offer doesn't have say it's temporary. Is this true? I know that what they've applied for and what they'll get can easily be two different things, but I just want to be sure...

The second thing is that if the LMO is positive, is there any advantage to applying for a TWP before I go? From what I've read, the answer seems to be 'not particularly', but I'm that even with a positive LMO, applying at the POE isn't necessarily a given.

I was thinking about giving up smoking, but I think if I did now it'd send me over the edge... and that's before I've even got there!

Cheers!

Andy.
Hi

From what I understand it's the work permit that is temporary...

The advantage of having your TWP before you go is that you don't sit on the flight biting your nails wondering if it will go wrong last minute when you have already shipped your stuff the week before and the dog is in kennels waiting to be shipped etc.... (that's the position we were in).

The advantage of getting it at POE is it's quicker. You don't have to wait for it to be sorted out in the UK and posted etc.

It is very straightforward providing of course you have nothing to hide re criminal convictions. We were asked that question at POE.

I'd say keep with the cigs. You have enough on your plate - the few weeks before the move are uber stressful!

Hope that helps!
Old May 10th 2012, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

If you need a medical then you cannot apply at POE. That is my understanding.

M
Old May 10th 2012, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mad Jockette

M
OOps yes forgot about that bit!
Old May 10th 2012, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

Rostin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all!

Cheers!

Andy.
1) The work duration in the LMO is the time frame of work that the employer has requested and to which HRSDC has agreed. The expectation is that CBSA/CIC officers will issue a work permit for the duration of work indicated in the LMO. However, in the case of passport expiry, a WP may be issued for a shorter duration than identified in the LMO.

2) All persons who require a medical examination – whether TRV required or visa-exempt – must apply outside Canada unless valid medical examination results are available at the time of entry.
Old May 10th 2012, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

roflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mad Jockette

M
I was under the impression only certain jobs need a medical (mine is in IT) - is this the case?
Old May 10th 2012, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

And another question! :-)

I'm going through the form IMM1295E for a work permit, and under the 'Details of intended work in Canada', there's 5 options - 'International Experience Canada Program', 'Live-in Caregiver Program', 'Open Work Permit', 'Other' and 'Seasonal Agricultural Work Program'. It seems a bit odd, but is 'Other' the correct choice???
Old May 10th 2012, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

And another - sorry for this :-|

The document checklist (IMM5488E) has 'Proof of funds available' - what kind of funds do I need to have available? I wasn't aware this was required for a TWP!
Old May 10th 2012, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

I was under the impression only certain jobs need a medical (mine is in IT) - is this the case?
Unless you will be working in health care, with children or vulnerable people you won't need a medical. But I am sure someone will be along to correct me if I have missed out something.

Good luck however it works out for you
Old May 11th 2012, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

Cheers Mad Jockette! I don't have much in the way of nerves to start with - I think this will either make me or break me!
Old May 11th 2012, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Cheers Mad Jockette! I don't have much in the way of nerves to start with - I think this will either make me or break me!
My hubby works in IT and he didn't need a medical. Tick that one off your list!

You'll be here before you know it!
Old May 11th 2012, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Welcome to the stress and high blood pressure club

Hang in there
Old May 21st 2012, 4:21 am
Just Joined

Calio is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Questions about TWP

And another question! :-)

I'm going through the form IMM1295E for a work permit, and under the 'Details of intended work in Canada', there's 5 options - 'International Experience Canada Program', 'Live-in Caregiver Program', 'Open Work Permit', 'Other' and 'Seasonal Agricultural Work Program'. It seems a bit odd, but is 'Other' the correct choice???
Wondering if OP ever got an answer to this as I've been confused by the same thing? Also OPs question about proof of funds for TWP has me stumped.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Old May 21st 2012, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Calio
Wondering if OP ever got an answer to this as I've been confused by the same thing? Also OPs question about proof of funds for TWP has me stumped.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
I am confused by your question? We applied for TWP at point of entry and haven't been asked about proof of funds at any point....

Is this an extra form if you apply for the TWP whilst you are still in the UK?

Sorry I can't be of help but are you sure you need to prove how many funds you have?
Old May 21st 2012, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
I am confused by your question? We applied for TWP at point of entry and haven't been asked about proof of funds at any point....

Is this an extra form if you apply for the TWP whilst you are still in the UK?

Sorry I can't be of help but are you sure you need to prove how many funds you have?
OP here...

The checklist that comes with the forms (IMM5488) has under the list "I have enclosed the following items:" an entry for "Proof of funds available", which is where the question is coming from.

For the question about the type of work permit, in IMM1295 (Application for Work Permit made outside of Canada", under the section "Details of intended work in Canada", section 1 says "What type of work permit are you applying for?", and the options are "International Experience Canada Program", "Live-in Caregiver Program", "Open Work Permit", "Other", and "Seasonal Agricultural Work Program"...

Why can't these things be more straightforward?

Last edited by roflwell; May 21st 2012 at 10:54 pm. Reason: Typo