Wikiposts

Questions about TWP

Old Jun 27th 2010, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Tiger_Quimpo will become famous soon enoughTiger_Quimpo will become famous soon enough
Default Questions about TWP

While we are biding our time waiting for PR, we've been presented with some options to go to Vancouver on a TWP. My wife has some interviews lined up with her current company for locations in BC. I have some opportunities that I can pursue too.

We haven't researched TWP (as it compares to PR) so please forgive me if these are noddy questions.

1) How long can you remain in Canada on a TWP (taking into account renewals/extensions etc)?

2) To what extent are your rights to education and health diminished when on a TWP versus PR?

In case any of this is relevant - for PR I am the principal applicant / my experience was on the FSW list but now is not / my wife's occupation is alkso not on the old or new list. I therefore believe on TWP we'd both have to apply for TWP, as neither of us would be able to work in Canada under the spousal visa.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions about TWP

1. Depends how long you ask for. Usually this is based on the Offer of Employment letter from your employer, which should state the term of the contract. Mine didn't so I had to reassure the immigration officer that a 2 year contract had been verbally agreed upon, I then got a 2 year permit. I don't know about renewals or extensions since I'm not at that point yet.

2. You're not allowed to study anywhere whilst on a TWP. Health-wise you're stuck without healthcare for the first 3 months, after that you can apply for healthcare (I think you can apply before the 3 months pass actually but you won't get the card till 3 months later). You also won't get any discounts on healthcare even if you're earning below the threshold amount, you have to pay the full price each month ($57 in BC).

TWPs are a nuisance to get, you have to find a job with someone who has advertised the job for at least 3 months, then if they want you they have to get a labour market opinion (LMO) for you, then when it comes back positive you can either get a TWP with the job offer letter and LMO in hand at the airport in Canada or get approval (though not the permit) before you travel from CHC London.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

Tiger_Quimpo will become famous soon enoughTiger_Quimpo will become famous soon enough

Thanks Canada Jimmy.

Just to clarify my question on education, I'm specifically thinking about the education of our 2 kids - aged 10 and 8.

Ta.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

anne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant future

when you get a TWP you get study permits for the kids, and this allows them to attend school, hope this helps
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:18 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

We came over on TWP's whilst our PR application was in process. I believe the only real differences are that with a PR you can stay forever and that some TWP's don't allow your spouse to work. I also believe it is trickier to renew a WP these days.

We didn't require a study permit for our child.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

It does, thanks. I was asking about this because I'm sure in the materials I read, I'm sure I saw something about having to pay for their education in certain provinces whilst on TWP. I may be misinformed. Thanks for the replies. I'll do more research, but feel reassured.
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:30 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

From what I understand, if the parent(s) has a TWP then the child does not need a study permit.

We had a bit of a panic when we got here.

Before I arrived our immigration experts sent me to the CIC to get a study permit for child (age10). CIC refused to let me have one as I would be given a WP at POE as my husband was here on a TWP, that would allow child to study.

I was issued a visitors permit as OH's WP expired within 3 months as it was exam dependant. Child started schhol. OH's WP extended, I applied for WP.

Whilst at immigration in Calgary, we were asked why child didn't have a study permit - above was explained.

The clarification was: As OH is not child's biological father and never adopted her, while I was on a visitors permit, she should have had a study permit, but seeing as I was now getting a work permit, she wouldn't need a study permit as she was here because we were here and working.

HTH
Old Jun 27th 2010, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Piff Poff.

The real life answers/experiences make a real difference and calm the nerves.

TQ.