mpb is an unknown quantity at this point
Question questions about PR application

hello everyone.
I am new to this forum so hope that I'm not asking any stupid questions

Here's my situation:
* I am a French national
* I have been living in Canada for 4 years
- 2 1/2 years on a student permit
- 1 year on a work permit (post-graduation employment permit)
- 6 months on a visitor permit (to maintain legal status in Canada)
* I have a common-law partner who is a permanent resident of Canada
* I have applied for PR on Sept 1, 04, family class (common-law), from outside Canada (Buffalo)

My questions are the following:
I am currently unable to work in Canada, and will remain so until I get my PR (expected late winter/spring 05). I therefore wish to go back to France and work there for the winter.
Do you think that this will affect my PR application?
Do I have to be physically present in Canada during the entire PR application process?
Do I have to maintain legal status in Canada during the entire PR application process?
If so can I renew my visitor permit while I am in France (my current permit expires March 1, 05)?

I would be very grateful for any pointers/comments that you might have
Old Oct 8th 2004, 8:17 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: questions about PR application

Originally Posted by mpb
hello everyone.
I am new to this forum so hope that I'm not asking any stupid questions

Here's my situation:
* I am a French national
* I have been living in Canada for 4 years
- 2 1/2 years on a student permit
- 1 year on a work permit (post-graduation employment permit)
- 6 months on a visitor permit (to maintain legal status in Canada)
* I have a common-law partner who is a permanent resident of Canada
* I have applied for PR on Sept 1, 04, family class (common-law), from outside Canada (Buffalo)

My questions are the following:
I am currently unable to work in Canada, and will remain so until I get my PR (expected late winter/spring 05). I therefore wish to go back to France and work there for the winter.
Do you think that this will affect my PR application?
Do I have to be physically present in Canada during the entire PR application process?
Do I have to maintain legal status in Canada during the entire PR application process?
If so can I renew my visitor permit while I am in France (my current permit expires March 1, 05)?

I would be very grateful for any pointers/comments that you might have
Since your application is in Buffalo there is no reason why you may not go back to France while it is in process. You do not need a visitor visa to re-enter Canada. Just remember to be truthful about your circumstances.
Old Oct 8th 2004, 8:26 am
mpb
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
Since your application is in Buffalo there is no reason why you may not go back to France while it is in process. You do not need a visitor visa to re-enter Canada. Just remember to be truthful about your circumstances.
thanks Jim for the quick reply.
just a complementary question: I plan to come back to Canada in April 05. My visitor status expires in March 05, but I'd like to maintain my legal status in Canada (visitor) for when I come back. Can I apply for an extension to my visitor status from France (if I explain exactly my circumstances)?
Old Oct 8th 2004, 8:31 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mpb
thanks Jim for the quick reply.
just a complementary question: I plan to come back to Canada in April 05. My visitor status expires in March 05, but I'd like to maintain my legal status in Canada (visitor) for when I come back. Can I apply for an extension to my visitor status from France (if I explain exactly my circumstances)?
You do not need to do that. You do not need a visa to visit Canada and when you come back the immigration officer will set a new allowed period of stay for you, usually 6 months.
Old Oct 8th 2004, 8:32 am
mpb
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
You do not need to do that. You do not need a visa to visit Canada and when you come back the immigration officer will set a new allowed period of stay for you, usually 6 months.
ok, thanks a lot!