Questions about 'The List'

Old Dec 23rd 2008, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold
Default Questions about 'The List'

I apologise in advance if these questions have already been answered.

I just have a few questions as we are not sure what to do regarding our application.

We applied for PR under SW in Oct 2007, simplified application. We are not sure whether we should pull our application out and reapply under the new rules?

We think that my Fiancee's occupation is on the list, either under 0111 (Financial Managers) or 1111 (Financial Auditors and Accountants )

The reason we are unsure of what to do is because he is only a part qualified Accountant.

The questions I have are:

1 - If we re applied would he qualify to apply under the codes stated as he is only part qualified? Does the codes only apply to fully qualified Accountants? He has completed level 1 of his ACCA

2 - Could we pull our application out now and get our money back to reapply?

3 - What jobs are listed under codes 0111?

4 - What is the time frame to complete applications for occupations that are on 'The List'?

5 - Just to mention that we get 73 points in the test, not sure if that matters still?

6 - How much are the fees under the new application?

7 - How much CDN would we need as proof of funds if any?

8 - Would it be worth pulling our application out now as it has been pending for 14 months?

9 - Would his ACCA qualification translate into anything in Canada, or would he have to re qualify in Canada?

10 - The Occupations in Demand lists are varied by provinces. Is 'The List' restricted to 1 province or can you apply to move anywhere in Canada if you have an occupation that is listed?

11 - What if 'The List' changes and your occupation is no longer in demand? Will you still be granted your PR, or will your application be rejected?

12 - Now that Canada is in recession, will these jobs still be in demand? Will it we really hard to get a job in Canada during recession as an immigrant?

Apologies for all the questions, I just want to be 100% clear on what our options are and where we stand.

Many thanks!!

Last edited by act1980; Dec 23rd 2008 at 4:06 am.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 4:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions about 'The List'

Blimey, that's a lot of questions!! Will try and answer them below:

1. Don't think he'd qualify - the reason being that each NOC code has a more detailed description including duties he needs to be doing and qualifications he must have to be eligible. If he's not already doing those duties and/or has the qualification then I don't think he's be eligible.

2. Yes, you can.

3. You need to google 'NOC Matrix' which will bring you the NOC homepage, put the codes in and then you'll find the more detailed job description as I mentioned above, and that has job titles on it. He needs to match up with that description otherwise he won't be eligible - and don't try and 'make him fit' as if CIC don't think he's eligible you won't get fees back if you're rejected.

4. Anticipated processing time is 6-12 months so would be much quicker for you to do it that way if you can.

5. You do still need to get the points so yes, it is relevant.

6. Same as under the old i.e. $550 each plus RPR fee.

7. Again, same as previous i.e. approx $10k for a couple.

8. Not honestly sure, that's a tricky one! It may be quicker using the new system but couldn't say for sure.

9. No idea, sorry - best to post a question about that so that other accountants will see it.

10. 'The List' is nationwide, if you qualify under it you get PR (it's just the new Skilled Worker system so is no different from the old one in many respects, including being able to settle anywhere, the fees are the same, the proof of funds is the same etc etc).

11. Once you've applied, even if The List changes at a later date, your application is still ok (it would be 'locked in' at time of application, again same as old SW system i.e. if they suddenly raise the points threshold you'd still be eligible if you applied prior to that).

12. Again, no idea. Judging from others posts on this forum it'll definitely make it trickier.

Hope the helps, good luck making a decision!
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Blimey, that's a lot of questions!! Will try and answer them below:

1. Don't think he'd qualify - the reason being that each NOC code has a more detailed description including duties he needs to be doing and qualifications he must have to be eligible. If he's not already doing those duties and/or has the qualification then I don't think he's be eligible.

2. Yes, you can.

3. You need to google 'NOC Matrix' which will bring you the NOC homepage, put the codes in and then you'll find the more detailed job description as I mentioned above, and that has job titles on it. He needs to match up with that description otherwise he won't be eligible - and don't try and 'make him fit' as if CIC don't think he's eligible you won't get fees back if you're rejected.

4. Anticipated processing time is 6-12 months so would be much quicker for you to do it that way if you can.

5. You do still need to get the points so yes, it is relevant.

6. Same as under the old i.e. $550 each plus RPR fee.

7. Again, same as previous i.e. approx $10k for a couple.

8. Not honestly sure, that's a tricky one! It may be quicker using the new system but couldn't say for sure.

9. No idea, sorry - best to post a question about that so that other accountants will see it.

10. 'The List' is nationwide, if you qualify under it you get PR (it's just the new Skilled Worker system so is no different from the old one in many respects, including being able to settle anywhere, the fees are the same, the proof of funds is the same etc etc).

11. Once you've applied, even if The List changes at a later date, your application is still ok (it would be 'locked in' at time of application, again same as old SW system i.e. if they suddenly raise the points threshold you'd still be eligible if you applied prior to that).

12. Again, no idea. Judging from others posts on this forum it'll definitely make it trickier.

Hope the helps, good luck making a decision!
Hi, thank you for taking the time to answer my long winded post

I will have a look on that website now!

Thanks!!
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi,

I have looked at the NOC Matrix information for code 1111 (Accountants)

It states:

** Certified general accountants and certified management accountants require a university degree and Completion of a training program approved by the Society of Certified General Accountants or Society of Management Accountants and several years of on-the-job training and Certification by the Certified General Accountants Association or the Society of Management Accountants.

** Progression to auditing or accounting management positions is possible with experience.

I am not quite sure how to read into this as he does have 7 years experience in his line of work but is only part qualified. He also has a batchelors degree in geography so not related to accountancy. Would the 2nd part of this information be more relevant to us or do we stand no chance of getting in through 'The List'?

I am also worried about our pending appluication now after reading this. If we decide to keep things as they are will we qualify for PR? We did get 73 points in the eligibily test and both have family in Canada. It's just that after reading the above I am not sure his occupation will be any good if he is not fully qualified?

Thanks again!
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 6:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm certainly no expert but I don't think he'd qualify under 'the list' - it does clearly state that in order to be eligible you must have 'completion of a training program'. He doesn't yet have that so I would guess that he wouldn't qualify.

As for whether it will affect your current application for PR, I'm afraid I don't know. I know that you can't claim points for something that you don't actually have at the time of application (i.e. if I were part way through a degree I couldn't claim points for it - I'd have to wait until I'd completed it to then apply and get the points).

So he couldn't claim points for it, but as long as you still have enough points (which I assume you do as he has a degree, so it shouldn't affect your points too badly even if you've counted his accountancy program) then I would think you'd be fine - but again, that is just a guess.

If you're unsure then your best bet is to consult an immigration lawyer as I'm certainly no expert and am just guessing! Hopefully somebody with more expertise than me will be along later to give you a definitive answer.

Good luck.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 6:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

P.S. Just going back to no. 9 of your questions above, in the NOC code for his occupation, it does say 'Licensing by the provincial or territorial governing body is usually required for accountants and auditors practising public accounting', so you might want to look into that as he may need to get licensed in Canada.
Old Dec 24th 2008, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
P.S. Just going back to no. 9 of your questions above, in the NOC code for his occupation, it does say 'Licensing by the provincial or territorial governing body is usually required for accountants and auditors practising public accounting', so you might want to look into that as he may need to get licensed in Canada.
Thanks for your help!! Karma!!
Old Dec 24th 2008, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

I would like to hear other peoples answers and opinions on this too.

I am not worried if you can't answer all the questions, I know there are too many!!

Thank you!!