Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Questions about immigrating as as skilled worker

Questions about immigrating as as skilled worker

Old Dec 8th 2004, 9:08 am
Just Joined

martinward1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions about immigrating as as skilled worker

Hi all,

Sorry if you have read this on a popular newsgroup. This is the first time I've posted to this group, and will probably be the first of many!!

First, a little background...

I'm a UK citizen. I don't have a degree but I did complete 12 years full time education plus a further 2 years at college and I have some IT trade certification (Cisco / CompTIA / Microsoft).

My partner (commonlaw) has 13 years full time education and has a 1 year diploma in Graphic and Web Design.

We both only speak English, and are 27 and 30 years old. I have about 8 years work experience working in computer networking / security field.

We are both very keen to move on and start a new life abroad. I have visited Canada on 7 seperate occaisions and like it very much; therefore it is my preferred choice.

We would like to get the ball moving sooner than later, however as we stand we only score (to my calculations) 65 points, 2 points short of the required 67. Does this mean our application would simply fail??

Or are there other alternative options open to us??

I've read a little about the Provincial Nomination Program, is this something we should look into??

Or would going out on a temporary work permit for a year (which would then give us the extra points needed to later apply as a skilled worker) be recommended??

Your suggestions and experiences would be most appreciated.

Many Thanks
Martin
Old Dec 8th 2004, 9:28 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions about immigrating as as skilled worker

The problem is that IT workers seem to be the people having most difficulty finding suitable jobs according to posts I have read.

For PNP to work you have to find somebody out there who wants to offer you a job, for which there are not a whole bunch of canadians queuing up to apply.
Then the potential employee has to apply on your behalf, ....which takes effort, so they're not going to bother unless they really REALLY want you!
I am going out as a physiotherapist. I have had my credentials assessed as equivalent and can go ahead and take their competency exam. I am told there is "no shortage of jobs" available, but when I brought up the the idea of PNP to chivvy things along the subject was quickly changed..... I got the impression they can't really be a**ed!

Certainly if you can get Canadian work experience it gives you points, but you have to have a job to go to! then maybe you could start off with a temporary work permit and apply for permanent residency after a while?

Otherwise, to get points..... can you take French lessons? It is worth up to 8 points or something if you can get that TEF under your belt!

Good luck!

Morw
Old Dec 8th 2004, 10:15 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Questions about immigrating as as skilled worker

It is rather unlikely to get work permit with probable lack of education
credentials required for such in your occupations. But how did you calculate
your points in the first place? What exactly is your post secondary
education, what kind of diploma or certificate you have? Cisco, MS, etc. are
not trade certificates - they are only industry certifications not meeting
definition of educational credential, so as far as immigration or work
permit requirements are concerned such certificates are simply worthless
(sorry). What about your partner's work experience and diploma?

If you prefer then please contact me directly for free evaluation of your
chances.

Originally Posted by martinward1234
Hi all,

Sorry if you have read this on a popular newsgroup. This is the first time I've posted to this group, and will probably be the first of many!!

First, a little background...

I'm a UK citizen. I don't have a degree but I did complete 12 years full time education plus a further 2 years at college and I have some IT trade certification (Cisco / CompTIA / Microsoft).

My partner (commonlaw) has 13 years full time education and has a 1 year diploma in Graphic and Web Design.

We both only speak English, and are 27 and 30 years old. I have about 8 years work experience working in computer networking / security field.

We are both very keen to move on and start a new life abroad. I have visited Canada on 7 seperate occaisions and like it very much; therefore it is my preferred choice.

We would like to get the ball moving sooner than later, however as we stand we only score (to my calculations) 65 points, 2 points short of the required 67. Does this mean our application would simply fail??

Or are there other alternative options open to us??

I've read a little about the Provincial Nomination Program, is this something we should look into??

Or would going out on a temporary work permit for a year (which would then give us the extra points needed to later apply as a skilled worker) be recommended??

Your suggestions and experiences would be most appreciated.

Many Thanks
Martin