questions....???

Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

gemprit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default questions....???

Hi, i have just a few questions.

I was born in canada, although both my parents are british and i moved to england whilst i was still a baby. i have british citizenship. However i am looking now to move from england and live and work elsewhere. Can i move to canada? can i get citizenship as i was born there (st lambert, montreal).
Also my fiancee and 9 month old son (both british) would be coming with me.
In short, what would i have to do, in order for myself and my family to move to canada?
p.s. i am a great fan of warm days, not so much cold-lol but i think anywher could be better than england! where would be the best place to live-i hear montreal is bloody freezing in the winter!
Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:24 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: questions....???

You would appear to be most likely to be a Canadian citizen

Your child is canadian as well as british a result

You would have to sponsor your partner.

If you cant face the winter (its cold but sunny), then the West Coast is the place to be.

Try the wiki at the top of the page, and the cic website.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

PaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nice

As you were born in Canada then you are Canadian citizen with full rights to residence and employment. Please follow iaink's advice and look up wiki for details about sponsoring your family. All you have to do to get a Canadian passport is to present an original Canadian birth certificate with your passport application. We recently did this for our Canadian born baby daughter and the passport turned up a few weeks later.

Try Vancouver or elsewhere in western British Columbia. It's about the warmest place in Canada (which isn't saying much). Good luck with you new life.

Last edited by PaulOK; Apr 8th 2010 at 4:49 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

gemprit is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you both, il have a look at the link and get started :-) just another quickie, could i get a canadian passport for my son or would it have to be british?
Old Apr 8th 2010, 7:13 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gemprit
Thank you both, il have a look at the link and get started :-) just another quickie, could i get a canadian passport for my son or would it have to be british?
No, you can get a Canadian one if you have the necessary documentation. Might be tricky though from outside Canada, they are sticklers over the photos, so it could involve some mailing back and forth Took us three goes and we were doing it in person at the passport office in Toronto.

Canadian passports might be cheaper...they are for adults anyway...