Question on U.S. entry

Old Oct 8th 2004, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

canseco1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question on U.S. entry

I heard that once you get the Canadian PR, you cannot enter U.S. for the time being, 6 months or so. Is it true? Is it for checking the establishment of tie to Canada?
Old Oct 8th 2004, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Question on U.S. entry

Originally Posted by canseco1
I heard that once you get the Canadian PR, you cannot enter U.S. for the time being, 6 months or so. Is it true? Is it for checking the establishment of tie to Canada?
I heard it from a friend from India, which is commonwealth country. Does it also apply for other countries. I am a Korean, and wonder if I can obtain a visitor visa after getting a PR to visit U.S. Thank you.
Old Oct 8th 2004, 12:43 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

As always applicant who needs visa to enter US must prove his or her ties to home country - it is very hard to do for newly landed immigrants in Canada and majority of them (although not all) are refused US visa until they demonstrate strong ties to Canada (steady job for several months is the most important). Someone who just landed and have no job in Canada will be refused (at least in 99% cases). It doesn't matter if it is a national of Commonwealth country or not. Unfortunately Koreans are one of those who are often caught crossing US border in less than legal way.

I heard it from a friend from India, which is commonwealth country. Does it also apply for other countries. I am a Korean, and wonder if I can obtain a visitor visa after getting a PR to visit U.S. Thank you.
Old Oct 8th 2004, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

bold is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that is not true unless you overstayed your viza in the US. I work here, US, under H1 viza and I will com back when I get PR in Canada. By the way did you post your case in yogi799, I think yours was like mine, I mean timeframe?
Thanks

Old Oct 8th 2004, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

If I have a job in Canada for several months (6 or more than that?) after landing as a PR, would it be possible to get a visitor visa to U.S.? Currently, I am working as a postdoc with 2 year contract.

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
As always applicant who needs visa to enter US must prove his or her ties to home country - it is very hard to do for newly landed immigrants in Canada and majority of them (although not all) are refused US visa until they demonstrate strong ties to Canada (steady job for several months is the most important). Someone who just landed and have no job in Canada will be refused (at least in 99% cases). It doesn't matter if it is a national of Commonwealth country or not. Unfortunately Koreans are one of those who are often caught crossing US border in less than legal way.
Old Oct 8th 2004, 1:08 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It's not normally a problem if you are eligible for the US visa-waiver.

Otherwise you need a US visa and they do look for specific ties to Canada in that case (job, apartment lease, kids in school etc).

Jeremy
Old Oct 8th 2004, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

I haven't had a chance to post my case in yogi yet. I agree that my timeframe is similar to yours. I got medical in May and sent documents in early June. I'll post it later.

Originally Posted by bold
I think that is not true unless you overstayed your viza in the US. I work here, US, under H1 viza and I will com back when I get PR in Canada. By the way did you post your case in yogi799, I think yours was like mine, I mean timeframe?
Thanks
Old Oct 8th 2004, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, Jeremy.

Unfortunately, I'm not a visa-waiver.

Then, do you mean that I don't necessarily need to wait for 6 months or so to get a visa if I have a job and apartment lease in Canada?

Originally Posted by JAJ
It's not normally a problem if you are eligible for the US visa-waiver.

Otherwise you need a US visa and they do look for specific ties to Canada in that case (job, apartment lease, kids in school etc).

Jeremy
Old Oct 8th 2004, 2:38 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

No, there is not always a need to wait for 6 months - some new Canadian PR may get US visa next day after landing while others may not get it for a year or two. All depends from individual circumstances. But unless there are other that steady amployment strong factors then US officer will look only at that employment.

Thanks, Jeremy.

Unfortunately, I'm not a visa-waiver.

Then, do you mean that I don't necessarily need to wait for 6 months or so to get a visa if I have a job and apartment lease in Canada?