Question on U.S. entry

Old Oct 8th 2004, 9:32 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 49
canseco1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question on U.S. entry

I heard that once you get the Canadian PR, you cannot enter U.S. for the time being, 6 months or so. Is it true? Is it for checking the establishment of tie to Canada?
canseco1 is offline  
Old Oct 8th 2004, 12:38 pm
  #2  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 49
canseco1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question on U.S. entry

Originally Posted by canseco1
I heard that once you get the Canadian PR, you cannot enter U.S. for the time being, 6 months or so. Is it true? Is it for checking the establishment of tie to Canada?
I heard it from a friend from India, which is commonwealth country. Does it also apply for other countries. I am a Korean, and wonder if I can obtain a visitor visa after getting a PR to visit U.S. Thank you.
canseco1 is offline  
Old Oct 8th 2004, 12:43 pm
  #3  
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 8,984
Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question on U.S. entry

As always applicant who needs visa to enter US must prove his or her ties to home country - it is very hard to do for newly landed immigrants in Canada and majority of them (although not all) are refused US visa until they demonstrate strong ties to Canada (steady job for several months is the most important). Someone who just landed and have no job in Canada will be refused (at least in 99% cases). It doesn't matter if it is a national of Commonwealth country or not. Unfortunately Koreans are one of those who are often caught crossing US border in less than legal way.

Originally Posted by canseco1
I heard it from a friend from India, which is commonwealth country. Does it also apply for other countries. I am a Korean, and wonder if I can obtain a visitor visa after getting a PR to visit U.S. Thank you.
Andrew Miller is offline  
Old Oct 8th 2004, 12:45 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 97
bold is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question on U.S. entry

I think that is not true unless you overstayed your viza in the US. I work here, US, under H1 viza and I will com back when I get PR in Canada. By the way did you post your case in yogi799, I think yours was like mine, I mean timeframe?
Thanks



Originally Posted by canseco1
I heard it from a friend from India, which is commonwealth country. Does it also apply for other countries. I am a Korean, and wonder if I can obtain a visitor visa after getting a PR to visit U.S. Thank you.
bold is offline  
Old Oct 8th 2004, 12:57 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 49
canseco1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question on U.S. entry

If I have a job in Canada for several months (6 or more than that?) after landing as a PR, would it be possible to get a visitor visa to U.S.? Currently, I am working as a postdoc with 2 year contract.


Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
As always applicant who needs visa to enter US must prove his or her ties to home country - it is very hard to do for newly landed immigrants in Canada and majority of them (although not all) are refused US visa until they demonstrate strong ties to Canada (steady job for several months is the most important). Someone who just landed and have no job in Canada will be refused (at least in 99% cases). It doesn't matter if it is a national of Commonwealth country or not. Unfortunately Koreans are one of those who are often caught crossing US border in less than legal way.
canseco1 is offline  
Old Oct 8th 2004, 1:08 pm
  #6  
JAJ
Retired
 
JAJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 34,649
JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question on U.S. entry

Originally Posted by canseco1
I heard that once you get the Canadian PR, you cannot enter U.S. for the time being, 6 months or so. Is it true? Is it for checking the establishment of tie to Canada?
It's not normally a problem if you are eligible for the US visa-waiver.

Otherwise you need a US visa and they do look for specific ties to Canada in that case (job, apartment lease, kids in school etc).

Jeremy
JAJ is offline  
Old Oct 8th 2004, 1:11 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 49
canseco1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question on U.S. entry

I haven't had a chance to post my case in yogi yet. I agree that my timeframe is similar to yours. I got medical in May and sent documents in early June. I'll post it later.


Originally Posted by bold
I think that is not true unless you overstayed your viza in the US. I work here, US, under H1 viza and I will com back when I get PR in Canada. By the way did you post your case in yogi799, I think yours was like mine, I mean timeframe?
Thanks
canseco1 is offline  
Old Oct 8th 2004, 1:14 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 49
canseco1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question on U.S. entry

Thanks, Jeremy.

Unfortunately, I'm not a visa-waiver.

Then, do you mean that I don't necessarily need to wait for 6 months or so to get a visa if I have a job and apartment lease in Canada?

Originally Posted by JAJ
It's not normally a problem if you are eligible for the US visa-waiver.

Otherwise you need a US visa and they do look for specific ties to Canada in that case (job, apartment lease, kids in school etc).

Jeremy
canseco1 is offline  
Old Oct 8th 2004, 2:38 pm
  #9  
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 8,984
Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question on U.S. entry

No, there is not always a need to wait for 6 months - some new Canadian PR may get US visa next day after landing while others may not get it for a year or two. All depends from individual circumstances. But unless there are other that steady amployment strong factors then US officer will look only at that employment.



Originally Posted by canseco1
Thanks, Jeremy.

Unfortunately, I'm not a visa-waiver.

Then, do you mean that I don't necessarily need to wait for 6 months or so to get a visa if I have a job and apartment lease in Canada?
Andrew Miller is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.