Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Question for those who used WES for Education Accreditation Assessments

Question for those who used WES for Education Accreditation Assessments

Old Oct 2nd 2017, 11:58 am
Just Joined

vickkib123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question for those who used WES for Education Accreditation Assessments

I am about to send off my WES application, Do I do each A level and O level separately? As there is NO subject in the headings, hubby and I are disagreeing.

I thought I should put 1 A level per actual A Level I have (pre GCSE Days so not AS Levels for me, mine were two years long courses). Also I did 10 O levels,do I need to put one each for each one?

Did Edexcel charge you per exam for verifying these,because its £44 a course, so the cost is sky rocketing? works out at £440plus for my O levels and another £166 for my a levels but my universities do this for free?

Am I barking up the wrong tree here?
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question for those who used WES for Education Accreditation Assessments

Originally Posted by vickkib123
I am about to send off my WES application, Do I do each A level and O level separately? As there is NO subject in the headings, hubby and I are disagreeing.

I thought I should put 1 A level per actual A Level I have (pre GCSE Days so not AS Levels for me, mine were two years long courses). Also I did 10 O levels,do I need to put one each for each one?

Did Edexcel charge you per exam for verifying these,because its £44 a course, so the cost is sky rocketing? works out at £440plus for my O levels and another £166 for my a levels but my universities do this for free?

Am I barking up the wrong tree here?
You mention 'your universities' - if you have a degree, how come you need to get your secondary school assessed? Normally you only get immigration points for highest qualification, and applying for a postgrad course would normally only care about your existing university grades.

(Edit to add: it might sound like I'm ignoring your main question; the point is, most people don't get their O levels/GCSEs/AS/A Levels assessed, because they're generally not relevant)
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question for those who used WES for Education Accreditation Assessments

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
You mention 'your universities' - if you have a degree, how come you need to get your secondary school assessed? Normally you only get immigration points for highest qualification, and applying for a postgrad course would normally only care about your existing university grades.

(Edit to add: it might sound like I'm ignoring your main question; the point is, most people don't get their O levels/GCSEs/AS/A Levels assessed, because they're generally not relevant)
agree if you have a degree or post graduate then no need to get your A or O levels assessed. You only score the points for your highest qualification which in your case sounds like a university levels course.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

No that's fine!
I was worried as my first degree in from 1993, and although the University of Reading, has my degree on record,I was never issued a transcript, as it was not policy, back in the dark ages to do so, A BSc Hons in Physiology, Biochemistry and Nutrition of Farm Animals My post grad certificate (Animal Musculoskeletal Function and Dysfunction)and , dates from 2016 and has a transcript, Harper Adams University, UK.

Apparently in the days before PC's , they only kept the info for 6 years, but are happy to verify this to WES.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 7:26 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

But the point is that if you have a degree, you don't need to have your A and O levels verified at all. You won't get any credit for them.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

Billen is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with what the others have recommended. If you have a university degree, then this is the only one you need to have assessed.

I used WES for my ECA and I found this on their website:

"If you have completed at least one year of post-secondary study, you typically do not need to submit your secondary (high school) documents unless the institution you are applying to requires it."

Hope that helps.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 12:22 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Billen
I agree with what the others have recommended. If you have a university degree, then this is the only one you need to have assessed.

I don't think that's entirely accurate. You can also claim points for other higher education qualifications that you may have e.g. a HND or CertHE and some university courses include those with a degree as standard.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I don't think that's entirely accurate. You can also claim points for other higher education qualifications that you may have e.g. a HND or CertHE and some university courses include those with a degree as standard.
That is possibly true. But, if you have a university degree, having your high school A levels, etc. assessed is kind of unnecessary. That's my understanding at least .. based on WES's response as well.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 12:39 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Billen
That is possibly true. But, if you have a university degree, having your high school A levels, etc. assessed is kind of unnecessary. That's my understanding at least .. based on WES's response as well.
Yeah I think you're totally right there. You only really need to submit any higher education qualifications that you have.

Of course they will review up to 10 sets of transcripts at no extra charge so you can actually submit as much as you like within reason if you want to chance your arm.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

Yeah I think you're totally right there. You only really need to submit any higher education qualifications that you have.

Of course they will review up to 10 sets of transcripts at no extra charge so you can actually submit as much as you like within reason if you want to chance your arm.
Old Oct 4th 2017, 5:20 am
Just Joined

That's not the issue,its the forking out for Edexcel to verify my results, at £44 a certificate, it gets expensive fast! But I will go with my degree and post grad,and leave it at that, as I am only the secondary applicant. Thanks for the advice guys
Old Oct 4th 2017, 9:03 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by vickkib123
That's not the issue,its the forking out for Edexcel to verify my results, at £44 a certificate, it gets expensive fast! But I will go with my degree and post grad,and leave it at that, as I am only the secondary applicant. Thanks for the advice guys
Good point, I'd forgotten about that. All my transcripts were free fortunately, I just had to pay the fees for WES.

If you're only an accompanying spouse and have a PG degree then I think submitting anything lower than your undergrad paperwork would be a total waste of time.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

FromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't realise they reviewed so many for the same fee of $200!

i have degree but also have professional qualification in human resources (Chartered Institute of Personnel & Development) which i am also considering getting evaluated but was wondering about additional costs if i don't need it

would be useful to gain as i will be delivering training in Canada at some point
Old Oct 5th 2017, 11:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FromUKtoBC
I didn't realise they reviewed so many for the same fee of $200!

i have degree but also have professional qualification in human resources (Chartered Institute of Personnel & Development) which i am also considering getting evaluated but was wondering about additional costs if i don't need it

would be useful to gain as i will be delivering training in Canada at some point
They won't assess professional qualifications, only academic ones. So you can send it (may as well, as said above it's the same fee) but don't expect it to to be assessed.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

FromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond reputeFromUKtoBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
They won't assess professional qualifications, only academic ones. So you can send it (may as well, as said above it's the same fee) but don't expect it to to be assessed.
If i send it, will IRCC see it in the WES account (even if unassessed) when ECA is transferred to them by WES?

Actually just thought, it was a 2 year academic course, that i studied at Sandwell College, West Mids.

The CRS criteria mentions: "Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees". Would diplomas/certificates still not be counted if it is part of criteria?

Last edited by FromUKtoBC; Oct 6th 2017 at 8:17 pm.