Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Question for those who have applied to extend visitor status online

Question for those who have applied to extend visitor status online

Old Mar 7th 2011, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

victorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Question for those who have applied to extend visitor status online

Hi
I notice there is a thread at the moment about which address you should put on your spousal application - UK or Canadian, but my questions relates to the address that you should list as your 'home address' on the online application to extend visitor status.
This will be my first time extending my visitor status, which expires on 29th March, so am hoping to complete it, scans and all and send it tomorrow. I'm now just stumped on the address question, and don't want to jeopardise things. I've asked a question before about what I should disclose as my reasons for wishing to stay longer and got some helpful answers, so hoping others might be willing to share what they put. Just to summarise, I am living in Canada with my Canadian boyfriend so that once we have lived together for a year, which will be at the end of July, he will then sponsor me as his common-law partner. I suppose I am just worried that if I list my 'home address' as where I live with my boyfriend, that they will think I won't leave at the end of the period. Is it best to put my parents UK address.....conversely of course I then don't want to be tripped up when it comes to applying for the spousal application later in the year, as they could refer back and say, ah well, on your recent visa extension you listed a UK address as your home address!!
There is the option to add a mailing address also....

What did you do?
Old Mar 8th 2011, 2:07 am
Just Joined

jade-netsky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question for those who have applied to extend visitor status online

I added my Canadian address for mailing address and my out of Canada address for home address
The advice i was given rather strongly was not to let immigration know you intend to stay permanently, so not to mention that you wish to stay to be sponsored. I wrote in my application that i wished to extend my stay as i wished to see more ofCanada and spend more time with my boyfriend and his family before returning home - All they care about is that you have enough money to support your stay and have enough money to purchase a ticket back from that i have told. Either way though you should have enough time, immigration told me on the phone it takes up to 4months for immigration to respond to the application ( i haven`t heard back as to whether my application was successful or not) and you can remain here legally while its being processed, if you send it off soon it will give you up to June-July regardless just make sure u send it off before your status here is finished and its all good.

Hope this helped!

Last edited by jade-netsky; Mar 8th 2011 at 2:19 am.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

victorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Yes thanks for that, it is kind of what I thought I should probably put! It's just a bit of a minefield and I didn't want to step on any. I have enough funds, and can also prove that I have a ticket to fly back to the UK for 22nd July, so am hoping that will be enough to satisfy their requirements.
Thanks again.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 11:07 am
Just Joined

Anna-Boleyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey,
I'm in the sponsorship process (Inland way) right know and I was asking the same questions to me when I first extended my stay as a visitor. Others told me I should not say, that I want to be sponsored as the Immigration Office would not extend my stay in this case.

But others again said I should just say the truth, that it always worked with them...

I gave my canadian adress not my german and I said honestly that I want to stay because of my boyfriend and the sponsorship. So residential adress: the canadian one, in the current mailing address I put N/A.

Now I need to extend my stay a third time and I'm very glad I always told the truth, because how often you can tell them that you want to stay longer because of travelling?

I also said I receive financial support from my boyfriend who applies to be my sponsor.

And I called the call center to ask what I should put in my marital status and they told me so say already "Common Law" as this is why I'm staying in Canada and what we are applying for.

I hope I could help and please excuse some mistakes in my english as this is not my first language...

Anna
Old Mar 8th 2011, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Anna,
Thanks for the feedback. I agree with you about telling the truth, but having heard so many scare stories it seems that the best advice is not to fully disclose your intentions - which to me seems silly because you would have thought that the CIC would prefer you to give an honest answer. Anyway, I'm pretty much decided I will list my UK address as home - unless anyone else has some opinions?
I'm hoping that this might be the one and only time I have to apply for an extension online. I'm flying back to the UK for a month at the end of July, and we'll submit our application at that point too. Hopefully they will admit me for another 6 months when i return in August, but I'm actually returning again to the UK in Dec. So I am hoping that with my two return trips planned they will admit me for 6 months each time. Fingers crossed if the application goes well it should process in less than 6 months, at least that is what I am hoping.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Anna-Boleyn is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you apply the outland way? Then I would do the same and give my adress from my homecountry and anyway it is no lie...

As I applied the inland way I didn't see any reason to give my german adress...

But they are used that people want to stay because of the sponsorship. So there is no reason to tell them you want to stay because of travelling... I was so scared that they would say "no" to my extended stay, because of other people telling me, that they will do that.

But everything is fine now and they just approved that my boyfriend can sponsor me. Now I'm waiting for a work permit and the PR... :-)