Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Question on the Sponsored Spouse forms

Wikiposts

Question on the Sponsored Spouse forms

Old Sep 15th 2014, 5:56 am
Just Joined

Jonesy319 has a reputation beyond reputeJonesy319 has a reputation beyond reputeJonesy319 has a reputation beyond reputeJonesy319 has a reputation beyond reputeJonesy319 has a reputation beyond reputeJonesy319 has a reputation beyond reputeJonesy319 has a reputation beyond reputeJonesy319 has a reputation beyond reputeJonesy319 has a reputation beyond reputeJonesy319 has a reputation beyond reputeJonesy319 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Question on the Sponsored Spouse forms

Hi,
I am looking at the sponsored spouse forms my partner will be filling in and it's a little confusing.

Question 20 is asking whether you're in a common law/conjugal partner relationship, the answer for us is YES to common law.

Q22 asks if there was a formal ceremony to acknowledge the partnership, for us, NO.

Q23 asks was there a reception and if no explain why. OK.

Q24 is about maintaining contact - has your spouse visited you.

Are these questions only to be answered if you relationship is conjugal not common law?

Thanks in advance
Jonesy
Old Sep 15th 2014, 6:15 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question on the Sponsored Spouse forms

Yeah, those questions are basically dumb if you are applying as common-law. In our case we were planning our wedding, so for 22 and 23 we wrote that we haven't had anything formal yet, but we are planning the wedding. 24 we just wrote "N/A - my sponsor and I live together" or something along those lines.

I don't think many people have specific "we are a common-law couple" parties... so I wouldn't worry too much about those. Some people do have things like commitment ceremonies, or non-binding parties or whatever, so those questions can sort out those people, but for the majority of CL applicants, it just doesn't make sense!
Old Sep 15th 2014, 6:17 am
Just Joined

Jonesy319 has a reputation beyond reputeJonesy319 has a reputation beyond reputeJonesy319 has a reputation beyond reputeJonesy319 has a reputation beyond reputeJonesy319 has a reputation beyond reputeJonesy319 has a reputation beyond reputeJonesy319 has a reputation beyond reputeJonesy319 has a reputation beyond reputeJonesy319 has a reputation beyond reputeJonesy319 has a reputation beyond reputeJonesy319 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks SchnookoLoly!
I watched the video that said to fill out everything...

I have another question - I wasn't planning on telling my current employer about this impending move - not until we know for sure. However, looks like they need a copy of employment record from my current job - is that right?
Old Sep 15th 2014, 6:24 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonesy319
Thanks SchnookoLoly!
I watched the video that said to fill out everything...

I have another question - I wasn't planning on telling my current employer about this impending move - not until we know for sure. However, looks like they need a copy of employment record from my current job - is that right?
When they say "fill out everything" they mean "don't leave anything blank" - it means that for some questions you can write "N/A" and such, and it's still considered filling it out. On the checklist, there will be some forms that don't apply - cross them out or write "N/A" or something on the checklist instead of leaving it blank, so it's obvious that the form is not applicable, as opposed to it being omitted or just not included.

I was in the same position as you with the job... I ended up just going straight to HR with it and requesting the letter. I said I was Canadian and was sorting out some paperwork and taxes in Canada and as such CIC required a letter with details of my employment. They said it was fine and wrote it up. This was right around 2 years before I actually resigned, and it was never a problem.
Old Sep 15th 2014, 6:27 am
Just Joined

Thanks Again - so good to have someone who has been through this!