Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Question regarding Permanent Residency Travel Document

Question regarding Permanent Residency Travel Document

Old Apr 10th 2020, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

manishkhanna3002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question regarding Permanent Residency Travel Document

Hello

I have a question regarding Permanent Residency Travel Document. I became PR in May, 2015 and I have completed my 2 years residency obligation within the 5 years which is going to end in May, 2020.

I am planning to move back to Canada in 2021 so if I apply for PRTD in April, 2021, would they calculate 2 years in 5 years back from the date I applied for PRTD (because if they do so then I would be not be able to fulfill my RO) or do they consider the 2 years that I have spend in Canada within the span of 5 years (May, 2015 to May, 2020) no matter when I applied for PRTD.

Thanks
Manish
Old Apr 10th 2020, 8:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question regarding Permanent Residency Travel Document

Originally Posted by manishkhanna3002
Hello

I have a question regarding Permanent Residency Travel Document. I became PR in May, 2015 and I have completed my 2 years residency obligation within the 5 years which is going to end in May, 2020.

I am planning to move back to Canada in 2021 so if I apply for PRTD in April, 2021, would they calculate 2 years in 5 years back from the date I applied for PRTD (because if they do so then I would be not be able to fulfill my RO) or do they consider the 2 years that I have spend in Canada within the span of 5 years (May, 2015 to May, 2020) no matter when I applied for PRTD.

Thanks
Manish
It's a rolling 5 year period, you must do at least 730 days in every five year period, not just the first 5 years. From the page about PRTD's "you must have been physically present in Canada for a minimum of 730 days within the five (5) years immediately before you apply for a PRTD". So if you applied on 1st April 2021, then they will go back to 1st April 2016 and check you've been in Canada for at least 730 days in that time.

So depending on when you did the 2 years (was it exactly 2 years, or a bit more?), then you may meet the RO or you may not, only you can work that out.
Old Apr 10th 2020, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

I have one more query. Generally the embassy issues single entry visa for 6 months but they could issue multiple entry visa for up to 5 years so what's the condition in which they issue multiple entry visa for long term.

Is there anything specific I could mention while applying to get multiple entry visa for long term?
Old Apr 10th 2020, 10:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I have one more query. Generally the embassy issues single entry visa for 6 months but they could issue multiple entry visa for up to 5 years so what's the condition in which they issue multiple entry visa for long term.

Is there anything specific I could mention while applying to get multiple entry visa for long term?
No, it's at the immi officers discretion. But if you've only spent 2 years in Canada since May 2015, then a PRTD is of no use to you anyway - you need to get back there asap if you don't want to lose your PR status.
Old Apr 10th 2020, 10:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

OP, exactly how much time have you spent in Canada and when? It doesn't look as though you've spent the full 2 years there from previous posts.

If you want advice that can actually help, it's best to be honest with us and tell us what your true situation is.
Old Apr 10th 2020, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

IRCC will consider only the 5 years prior to the date of your PRTD application unless you have not yet been a Permanent Resident for a full 5 years in which case they will consider whether it's possible for you to meet the Residency Obligation within 5 years of landing.

Last edited by Snowy560; Apr 10th 2020 at 2:31 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2020, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

I have spend exactly 2 years and 3 days in 5 years (May 2015 to May 2020). I last visited Canada in August 2018 and completed my 2 years in 5 years obligation (May 2015 to May 2020) but now I am planning to move to Canada in April 2021 and by that time my PR card would be expired and I need to apply for PRTD. Would they issue me PRTD if I apply for the same sometime in February 2021 or March 2021?

I was under the impression that I need to spend 2 years in every 5 year period (May 2015 to May 2020 then May 2020 to May 2025 and so on until I remain PR) but when I look at the application forms for PRTD and even PR Card renewal I see that "I need to spend 2 years in last 5 years immediately before I apply for PRTD or PR Card renewal" so I got confused.
Old Apr 10th 2020, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

The IRCC site is pretty clear w.r.t RO

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...pr-status.html

To keep your permanent resident status, you must have been in Canada for at least 730 days during the last five years. These 730 days don’t need to be continuous.
They probably won't issue you a PRTD unless you can show some reasons why you couldn't return to Canada soon (like your parents were ill and you were the only one available to look after them).
Old Apr 10th 2020, 3:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Would they issue me PRTD if I apply for the same sometime in February 2021 or March 2021?
Depends when you were in Canada. What are the exact dates of your 2 years and 3 days there? That will then tell us the latest you can go back without risking losing PR.

I was under the impression that I need to spend 2 years in every 5 year period (May 2015 to May 2020 then May 2020 to May 2025 and so on until I remain PR).
You've misunderstood. It's a rolling 5 year period, so 2 years out of EVERY 5 years in Canada. So at each point you need to look back and have spent at least 730 days there out of the previous 5 years to keep PR.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 10th 2020 at 4:06 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2020, 4:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Also, your 2 years and 3 days there, was that all time in Canada - you didn't spent any time outside of it i.e. over the border to the US for day trips? Don't forget you can only count days you were physically in the country. It's still cutting it very fine, but as long as you were actually in the country for those 733ish days, and can prove it, you might be ok as long as you go back before whatever your crucial date is.
Old Apr 10th 2020, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Depends when you were in Canada. What are the exact dates of your 2 years and 3 days there? That will then tell us the latest you can go back without risking losing PR.

You've misunderstood. It's a rolling 5 year period, so 2 years out of EVERY 5 years in Canada. So at each point you need to look back and have spent at least 730 days there out of the previous 5 years to keep PR.
Christmasoompa, I don't want to bother you calculating the days for me. I have got the knowledge about residency obligation and I would be able to determine the latest I could go back without losing my PR. Anyways, thanks for your help.
Old Apr 13th 2020, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Christmasoompa, I don't want to bother you calculating the days for me. I have got the knowledge about residency obligation and I would be able to determine the latest I could go back without losing my PR. Anyways, thanks for your help.
It makes a difference when you were last in Canada. If your 2 years were right back at the start of when you got PR then you will need to get back pretty quick to avoid problems. Whether they will process a PRTD and get it back to you in time is another question but if you applied before you are technically out of time they may apply some leniency in the current circumstances. If on the other hand you have just got back after spending the last 2 years in Canada then you would have up to 3 years to return. If your time in Canada was made up of various periods with gaps then the calculations get a little more complicated!