Question regarding LMO

Old Apr 26th 2009, 3:10 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 30
garyg13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question regarding LMO

Hi there,

I'm currently in Canada on a BUNAC visa which ends on 17th MAR 2010. I have secured a job as an electrician and I am currently applying for PR with arranged employment.
Obviously if my PR is not granted before my BUNAC visa is up I would like to get a TWP to tide me over so I can continue working etc.
My question is regarding LMO's. What are the guidelines for obtaining an LMO considering I will have been working for this company for over 9months when they apply for it. How will they prove it has been advertised for 14days and no suitable canadian was found?
I'm just confused as I know they need to do this but I am already here on a work permit so does that change things?

Thank you
garyg13 is offline  
Old Apr 26th 2009, 3:51 am
  #2  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,160
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question regarding LMO

Originally Posted by garyg13
Hi there,

I'm currently in Canada on a BUNAC visa which ends on 17th MAR 2010. I have secured a job as an electrician and I am currently applying for PR with arranged employment.
Obviously if my PR is not granted before my BUNAC visa is up I would like to get a TWP to tide me over so I can continue working etc.
My question is regarding LMO's. What are the guidelines for obtaining an LMO considering I will have been working for this company for over 9months when they apply for it. How will they prove it has been advertised for 14days and no suitable canadian was found?
I'm just confused as I know they need to do this but I am already here on a work permit so does that change things?

Thank you
Hi Gary,

Being there already on a TWP doesn't change anything I'm afraid, if you want to get a new TWP then you'll need a LMO and so your company will have to advertise the position across Canada.

They'll need to provide proof of the adverts and also details of why anybody that applied wasn't suitable - and if somebody applies that is suitable and a Canadian, they have to employ them over you I'm afraid, even if it is 'your' job!

You should be ok though as PR applications only take 6-12 months via FSW these days. Have your company already applied for the AEO? As that's the bit that can take the time, but if you've already got it then hopefully you should have PR before your Bunac runs out.


Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 26th 2009 at 3:54 am.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Apr 26th 2009, 4:42 am
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
 
burton bunch's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Lethbridge AB
Posts: 4,250
burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question regarding LMO

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Have your company already applied for the AEO? As that's the bit that can take the time, but if you've already got it then hopefully you should have PR before your Bunac runs out.

I think the OP means that he is applying for the PR claiming for extra points for already working in the country. You apply for a the Arranged Employment Opinion when you are not in Canada.

Dont think that this applies to the OP
burton bunch is offline  
Old Apr 26th 2009, 4:52 am
  #4  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 671
albertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question regarding LMO

Originally Posted by burton bunch
I think the OP means that he is applying for the PR claiming for extra points for already working in the country. You apply for a the Arranged Employment Opinion when you are not in Canada.

Dont think that this applies to the OP
Hi
Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm confused now. I thought you could still apply for AEO while you were in Canada if your employer said you could now be offered the job on a permanent basis.
How do people on TWP get PR without waiting for experience class?
Tina
albertabound is offline  
Old Apr 26th 2009, 4:58 am
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
 
burton bunch's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Lethbridge AB
Posts: 4,250
burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question regarding LMO

Originally Posted by albertabound
Hi
Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm confused now. I thought you could still apply for AEO while you were in Canada if your employer said you could now be offered the job on a permanent basis.
How do people on TWP get PR without waiting for experience class?
Tina
Use a schedule 3 form and attach twp and evidence of working for the company
burton bunch is offline  
Old Apr 26th 2009, 5:19 am
  #6  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 524
lucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud of
Default Re: Question regarding LMO

You can apply for an AEO while working in Canada, I did!
lucieg is offline  
Old Apr 26th 2009, 5:57 am
  #7  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,160
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question regarding LMO

Originally Posted by burton bunch
You apply for a the Arranged Employment Opinion when you are not in Canada.
Not necessarily, he mentioned 'arranged employment', so I took that to mean he's applying with AEO (which his employer can apply for even if he's already working in Canada).

If he's only claiming the extra points for adaptability then he doesn't need the AEO, but most people still need an AEO if their jobs aren't on the list of 38 occupations in demand (which luckily the OP's is) as otherwise they wouldn't qualify as Skilled Workers under the new system.

christmasoompa is offline  
Old Apr 26th 2009, 7:34 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 30
garyg13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question regarding LMO

you mean they would have to advertise the position all over again or simply provide evidence of the original job posting?
the position was advertised on the Job Bank for over 2 weeks and I assume I was chosen for the job as my experience and abilities were favored above the others (canadians) who applied.
I hope it doesn't have to be advertised all over again!

Thanks for the replies
garyg13 is offline  
Old Apr 26th 2009, 7:42 am
  #9  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,160
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question regarding LMO

Originally Posted by garyg13
you mean they would have to advertise the position all over again or simply provide evidence of the original job posting?
the position was advertised on the Job Bank for over 2 weeks and I assume I was chosen for the job as my experience and abilities were favored above the others (canadians) who applied.
I hope it doesn't have to be advertised all over again!

Thanks for the replies
How long ago did they advertise it?

I think they will definitely have to advertise it again unless it was very recently, plus even if it was recent they'd have to provide details of each Canadian applicant and why they weren't qualified to do the job.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Apr 26th 2009, 7:54 am
  #10  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 30
garyg13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question regarding LMO

It was advertised at the beginning of April.
How long is an LMO valid for? If they applied for it now then could I wait a few months before applying for the twp?
garyg13 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.