Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Question regarding close relatives in Canada

Question regarding close relatives in Canada

Old Jan 31st 2009, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

minute_edm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question regarding close relatives in Canada

Hey guys,

I'm about to apply for Canadian PR under federal skill worker. I have an uncle who is PR, and as you know having a relative will give you 5 bonus adaptability points. My score WITHOUT considering my uncle will be 69 (2 points more than the minimum requirement). It seems like it's a heck lot of burden if I want to prove that I have an uncle here. So which strategy do you suggest?

1) I better say "I have no uncle here" in the forms

or

2) It's better to say I have an uncle here, but since I don't need its score, I don't provide any documents (unless they want me to submit them later on)

or

3) I better go through all the inconvenience of providing documents (really, how should I prove that he is my uncle, should I translate my grandfather's certificate?)

Many thanks
Old Jan 31st 2009, 5:49 am
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question regarding close relatives in Canada

Originally Posted by minute_edm
Hey guys,

I'm about to apply for Canadian PR under federal skill worker. I have an uncle who is PR, and as you know having a relative will give you 5 bonus adaptability points. My score WITHOUT considering my uncle will be 69 (2 points more than the minimum requirement). It seems like it's a heck lot of burden if I want to prove that I have an uncle here. So which strategy do you suggest?

or

2) It's better to say I have an uncle here, but since I don't need its score, I don't provide any documents (unless they want me to submit them later on)

or

3) I better go through all the inconvenience of providing documents (really, how should I prove that he is my uncle, should I translate my grandfather's certificate?)

Many thanks
how much of an issue is it for you to get proof of your uncle? if it's a case of a phone call and him sending over copies of things, i would deffinatley do it......it also 'proves' in some small way, that your 'family' is in canada and that you like it so much, you want to move over too......emotive it might seem and if you don't 'need' the points, then it seems like a lot of work maybe for nothing......

we didn't need the points from my brother being in canada but we still got the paperwork sorted from him and us......worth thinking about......
Old Jan 31st 2009, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

Hi,

Many thanks for the response. The problem is that I don't know how to prove that he is my uncle. I know that his documents of permanent residency are required, but about the rest...I'm not sure! Logically I think I should submit my, my uncle's and my father's translated birth certificates to the CIC, and that's the burden I'm talking about (you know it's kinda harder than the case of brother)

Now if I don't want to obtain this extra 5 points, what should I do? In the application form, there is a section that asks whether you have a PR or citizen relative here in canada or not. Should I say NO?! (wouldn't it be fraud?)
Or I better say YES, but not to provide any documents until they want me to send them?
Old Jan 31st 2009, 7:55 am
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Many thanks for the response. The problem is that I don't know how to prove that he is my uncle. I know that his documents of permanent residency are required, but about the rest...I'm not sure! Logically I think I should submit my, my uncle's and my father's translated birth certificates to the CIC, and that's the burden I'm talking about (you know it's kinda harder than the case of brother)

Now if I don't want to obtain this extra 5 points, what should I do? In the application form, there is a section that asks whether you have a PR or citizen relative here in canada or not. Should I say NO?! (wouldn't it be fraud?)
Or I better say YES, but not to provide any documents until they want me to send them?
your welcome but i'm speaking from a 'non-authority' point of view, just my 'thoughts' really. i'm sure someone who 'knows' the answere will come along soon.......

i would say, that you should say 'yes' on the forms.......then try and get the info before they ask for it. that way you will ahead of the game and if they don't ask, then it don't matter, as you say you don't need the points......if you say 'no' and they 'catch you out', as they 'may' know that you do have relatives in canada, it 'could' jepordise your application!

my brother wa required to send a copy of his SIN no., copy of birth cert. and a copy of his citizenship (in this case).......if your uncle has PR, then a copy of that would be required + the sin and birth cert., i guess......

which way are you looking to go into canada? skilled worker, PNP? or other?

hope this helps.......
Old Jan 31st 2009, 5:22 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by gibsonslanding
your welcome but i'm speaking from a 'non-authority' point of view, just my 'thoughts' really. i'm sure someone who 'knows' the answere will come along soon.......

i would say, that you should say 'yes' on the forms.......then try and get the info before they ask for it. that way you will ahead of the game and if they don't ask, then it don't matter, as you say you don't need the points......if you say 'no' and they 'catch you out', as they 'may' know that you do have relatives in canada, it 'could' jepordise your application!

my brother wa required to send a copy of his SIN no., copy of birth cert. and a copy of his citizenship (in this case).......if your uncle has PR, then a copy of that would be required + the sin and birth cert., i guess......

which way are you looking to go into canada? skilled worker, PNP? or other?

hope this helps.......
1. To prove the Uncle, you will require your Long birth certificate with your parents names, his long birth certificate showing his parents names, either your mother her fathers bc with his/her parents names. A copy of his PR card and proof that he is residing in Canada, monthly type bills, T4 No SIN is required.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

z030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to beholdz030209 is a splendid one to behold

Hey guys,

or

or

Many thanks

hi,

i have a lot of relatives in Canada and provided the following for my aunt only, obviously, I wanted the 5 bonus points!

1. copy of birth cert, which shows her maiden name (i provided my father's birth cert too so they can see the relationship)
2. copy of her canadian passport
3. copy of her perm res card
4. copies of 6 mths worth of credit card bills to show transactions that have taken place in canada, hence, she is actually currently resident there
5. copies of 6 mths worth of bank stmts (same reason as above)
6. marriage cert
7. copy of self assessment because she has a business

okay, this is just a suggestion; if i were you, i would seriously consider going for the 5 bonus points because you never know when the extra points might come in handy and surely, isnt it only a little extra effort? i know you say you have 69, but is that a 'safe' 69 or is there a possibility that cic may not give you some of the points, for whatever reason?

however, if you truly decide that you dont want to submit the documents, i would definitely check 'yes' to the question of having relatives but then submit a cover letter stating that you do not wish to claim the extra points. the last thing you want is for cic to look at you application and think that you havent submitted the documents in relation to your relative, thereby delaying the process because they quite possibly may ask you to provide proof of your relative further down the line, when you had no intention of submitting it or gaining the extra points in the first place... make sense?

good luck dude
Old Jan 31st 2009, 6:21 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys,

or

or

Many thanks
Up to the point you are awarded a permit, the points are only an assessment of and by no means a certainty. It would be a bugger if you fell short of the points in the final decision. How much effort you decide to put in is rather decided by how much you want to succeed.

Saying 'no' to a relative in Canada on the form is lying and could result in any permits (even citizenship) being withdrawn at any time in the future.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Many thanks all, very helpful.