Wikiposts

Question Re: marriage certificate

Old Jan 25th 2007, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

Messorius is a jewel in the roughMessorius is a jewel in the roughMessorius is a jewel in the roughMessorius is a jewel in the roughMessorius is a jewel in the rough
Question Question Re: marriage certificate

Hello! My husband is from the UK and I'm sponsoring him. My sponsorship application was opened and approved in one day, and everything has been forwarded to CHC London, which also opened everything pretty quick.

My problem however is, that a question has come up regarding our marriage certificate. What we sent in with the application was a photocopy of the document we received at the ceremony, the one you and your witnesses sign, etc. It has come to my attention that this is not an "offical" certificate. I honestly had no clue. Nobody said there was an official version of it, including the minister, and I was never mailed anything either.

To compound this, I have used the "unoffical" document to get a new provincial ID, change all my banking and financial information, file my taxes with Revenue Canada, I even used it to have my *passport* updated, and they're about as hardassed a department as I can think of. None of them ever said anything about this not being the correct document, and again, I've been approved for sponsorship in literally no time at all, aside from waiting for them to open it.

Anyone used the "wrong" marriage certificate? Had issues? Will they send the entire application back, or just request the document if it's incorrect? How boned am I here. Thanks!
Old Jan 25th 2007, 7:25 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question Re: marriage certificate

It is possible that your husband will be asked for the actual certificate. In fact the presiding marriage official should have asked you where to send the marriage registration. In Ontario this can take months but so will the immigration application in most cases so you will have the certificate and can submit it if and when asked.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Messorius is a jewel in the roughMessorius is a jewel in the roughMessorius is a jewel in the roughMessorius is a jewel in the roughMessorius is a jewel in the rough

Thankyou Jim for the very quick reply. I've called CIC to confirm(and they told me not to contact CHC and just wait to see if they ask for it, apparently they might just go with what we sent), and according to the NS service website I should have it in 10-14 days.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Touching back onto this again, I got my official certificate in about 10 days, but now I'm honestly getting a little bit suspicious of the CIC call centre agent just telling me to wait and see if they requested it, since others on my timeline have been finishing up. So...

Would it hurt if I just up and mailed it off to London CHC anyway (notated with the Client ID # and Kit ID #'s I was given when I got my approval letter for sponsoring my husband)?

If they request it I have to do that then anyway, but would there be any foulups for me doing it preemtively, or would they give me(or him, I suppose would be more accurate) a different # to refer to in the request?

Thanks!
Old Feb 15th 2007, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Anybody?
Old Feb 15th 2007, 8:59 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

It's hard to disagree with the call centre here. You have it now it seems and you can get it to London virtually overnight by courier if need be, so I would wait for their request.