Question on the new FSW visa

Old Sep 23rd 2012, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

laura.anne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question on activating PR requirements

I know the answer may be on here somewhere, so apologies- I just can't find it.

All being well if we apply for the new FSW in January (wanting to move to BC as a couple +3 children) and are successful, once we get the go ahead how long do we have to land in Canada to activate our PR and do we all have to arrive together?

I ask because what I am hoping is that my husband can come alone first, he has a friend he can stay with....then once he has secured a job I can bring the children over. Is this possible? Or do we have to come with him because he is the main applicant?

Also, long shot but does anyone know roughly how long the whole process may take from applying in January 2013?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by laura.anne; Sep 23rd 2012 at 3:02 pm. Reason: Better title to explain question!
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Question on activating PR requirements

Originally Posted by laura.anne
I know the answer may be on here somewhere, so apologies- I just can't find it.

All being well if we apply for the new FSW in January (wanting to move to BC as a couple +3 children) and are successful, once we get the go ahead how long do we have to land in Canada to activate our PR and do we all have to arrive together?

I ask because what I am hoping is that my husband can come alone first, he has a friend he can stay with....then once he has secured a job I can bring the children over. Is this possible? Or do we have to come with him because he is the main applicant?

Also, long shot but does anyone know roughly how long the whole process may take from applying in January 2013?

Thanks in advance
Hi,

With regards to landing, this must be done within a year of passing your medical examinations.

As I understand, the principal applicant can land first and dependents can follow and land later.
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Question on the new FSW visa

Thank you! Do you know at what stage are the medicals done, ie. how long before gaining our visas?
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know at what stage are the medicals done, ie. how long before gaining our visas?
Anywhere from a month to several years depending on the medical and security check results.
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MarkG
Anywhere from a month to several years depending on the medical and security check results.

That was my question- when are the medicals done in that timescale ( e.g. Near the beginning of applying or at the end) ?
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 9:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

That was my question- when are the medicals done in that timescale ( e.g. Near the beginning of applying or at the end) ?
At the end. Nobody can tell you how long the new process will take though, as it's an unknown timescale at the mo.

I guess all you can do is wait and see if you are eligible to apply when the new criteria is announced, good luck.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

Great, at the end sounds positive. Based on the Gazette reading he is eligible so fingers crossed, going to get his ielts booked in for December! Thank you

Last edited by laura.anne; Sep 24th 2012 at 6:09 am.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

anne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant futureanne-ireland has a brilliant future

They may ask for the spouse to do Ielts as well under the new rules.....
Old Sep 25th 2012, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

Yeah I read in the gazette article that it is only if you need the extra 5 points? I am praying my husband does well enough on his test for enough points so I don't have to!