Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Question : Living with Partner Possible Visa?

Question : Living with Partner Possible Visa?

Old Feb 15th 2005, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

jordan123 is on a distinguished road
Default Question : Living with Partner Possible Visa?

Would I be right in saying that if you live with your partner in Canada you are get a visa.

I am living with my partner ( not married ) for around 6 months now. Can I apply for a visa if so what evidence must I produce?

I have also applied to CHC for immgration and just on the processing list?
Old Feb 15th 2005, 6:50 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question : Living with Partner Possible Visa?

No, it is not correct. Fact that you live with Canadian partner or even may be married to a Canadian doesn't give you any automatic rights for any kind of visa.

If you are common-law partners for less than 12 months then you cannot be even sponsored.

Originally Posted by jordan123
Would I be right in saying that if you live with your partner in Canada you are get a visa.

I am living with my partner ( not married ) for around 6 months now. Can I apply for a visa if so what evidence must I produce?

I have also applied to CHC for immgration and just on the processing list?
Old Feb 15th 2005, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
No, it is not correct. Fact that you live with Canadian partner or even may be married to a Canadian doesn't give you any automatic rights for any kind of visa.

If you are common-law partners for less than 12 months then you cannot be even sponsored.
Thx for your advice as always Andrew!

When the 12 months is up, we can of evidence will we have to produce for my girlfriend to sponsor me?
Old Feb 15th 2005, 10:03 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

But your problem is to remain in Canada for that long legally in the first place. Extensions of stay are not granted for reason you want - to meet 12 months cohabitation requirement. And if you stay illegally here then say bye bye to any PR chances for quite a while.

Thx for your advice as always Andrew!

When the 12 months is up, we can of evidence will we have to produce for my girlfriend to sponsor me?
Old Feb 16th 2005, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
But your problem is to remain in Canada for that long legally in the first place. Extensions of stay are not granted for reason you want - to meet 12 months cohabitation requirement. And if you stay illegally here then say bye bye to any PR chances for quite a while.
Hi Andrew, Sorry I didnt explain my more clearly. I am currently in Canada on a one year visa, 6 months currently done. And just wondering what evidence if any would they expect to see?
Old Feb 16th 2005, 2:32 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Hi Andrew, Sorry I didnt explain my more clearly. I am currently in Canada on a one year visa, 6 months currently done. And just wondering what evidence if any would they expect to see?
Joint lease, joint bank accounts, joint bills, evidence from friends that you are considered a c/law couple. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/manuals-guides/...h/op/op02e.pdf Sec. 12.2

PMM
Old Feb 16th 2005, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Joint lease, joint bank accounts, joint bills, evidence from friends that you are considered a c/law couple. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/manuals-guides/...h/op/op02e.pdf Sec. 12.2

PMM
Excellant - thx