British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Question on landing after COPR (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/question-landing-after-copr-918415/)

Joepottinger Oct 17th 2018 8:56 pm

Question on landing after COPR

Hi all,

I was just wondering to clarify something. If we receive COPR in January which would be 12 months after we submitted our application. How would it work with travel after receiving the COPR but before I "land"? Am I correct in saying that as inland applicants we would get asked for an interview in Canada and then get issued my PR card then?

I ask because my brother has asked me to go to the US in February and I wasn't sure how things stood on landing? Maybe a silly question but figured I should ask to be sure.

Thank you.

Siouxie Oct 17th 2018 9:16 pm

Re: Question on landing after COPR

Originally Posted by Joepottinger (Post 12579171)
Hi all,

I was just wondering to clarify something. If we receive COPR in January which would be 12 months after we submitted our application. How would it work with travel after receiving the COPR but before I "land"? Am I correct in saying that as inland applicants we would get asked for an interview in Canada and then get issued my PR card then?

I ask because my brother has asked me to go to the US in February and I wasn't sure how things stood on landing? Maybe a silly question but figured I should ask to be sure.

Thank you.

You don't 'get issued' your PR card at the time of landing - that comes along by mail a few weeks/months later. :) When you have your landing interview, that's when you would have your COPR validated and stamped and that could be at an Inland office - or you can travel to the border and have it stamped on your return!
Provided you 'land' before the expiry date on your COPR, it can be pretty much at any border crossing or if you flew in, airport - or at an Inland office.. your choice usually!

You can read more here: How do I validate a Confirmation of Permanent Residence or a permanent resident visa if I live in Canada?

:)

Former Lancastrian Oct 17th 2018 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Joepottinger (Post 12579171)
Hi all,

Thank you.

You don't have an interview per se but have to complete the landing with the COPR forms before it expires and you have the choice of going to a border crossing to do commonly known as flag poling or making an appointment at an Inland IRCC office. You provide either CBSA or IRCC with a Canadian mailing address and then wait for the PR card to arrive which is currently at approx 70 working days. As for travelling to the US if you go by private vehicle then no PR card required however if you fly then a PR card would be required to fly back to Canada and if no PR card then you would be denied boarding the aircraft unless in possession of a PRTD.

Joepottinger Oct 18th 2018 12:41 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12579186)
You don't have an interview per se but have to complete the landing with the COPR forms before it expires and you have the choice of going to a border crossing to do commonly known as flag poling or making an appointment at an Inland IRCC office. You provide either CBSA or IRCC with a Canadian mailing address and then wait for the PR card to arrive which is currently at approx 70 working days. As for travelling to the US if you go by private vehicle then no PR card required however if you fly then a PR card would be required to fly back to Canada and if no PR card then you would be denied boarding the aircraft unless in possession of a PRTD.

Thanks both for your responses. So basically I could travel in February with my copr in hand and land when I fly back in from the US? It’s very presumptuous that we will even have approval at all by then but just trying to plan ahead.

Thanks again, my common law partner keeps asking me if I think they have a problem with our application and that’s why we haven’t heard but I keep telling her to be patient.