British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Question of Immigration (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/question-immigration-54746/)

Michelle Nov 25th 2001 4:06 pm

My family is planning to immigrate to Canada. But we have a concern because the
unemployment rate in Canada is quite high now. So we just wonder how long will it
take us to get our first amount of relieve from government if we stay unemployed.

Heather Nov 25th 2001 4:21 pm

Unless you have contributed to E.I.(Employment Insurance) in Canada, sorry you won't
be receiving any amount of monies from the fund. E.I. is an insurance plan, just as
any other insurance you must pay the premuims.
--
Heather

>
    >
    >

Michelle Nov 25th 2001 10:27 pm

So whether I could be eligible for being a member paticipating in this plan, I mean
as a new immigrate from other countries, can I enter this plan? And meanwhile how
much should my family as a whole contribute yearly for E.I., and how much could my
family get from this plan if we stay employed?

"Heather" <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >

Heather Nov 25th 2001 11:00 pm

The way to contribute to E.I. is to work in Canada. Your employer will take the
contributions and other taxes (which would be listed on a pay stub or statement). So
if the person is unemployed before working in Canada then no you would not be able to
eligible for E.I. .

Heather

>
    >
    >
    >

Peter Wu Nov 25th 2001 11:26 pm

>
    >
    >

Do you have more information on this? It would be great if there exist some official
web links that we can pay a visit.

Thanks.

Peter

Heather Nov 26th 2001 5:58 am

Here is HRDC's website http://www.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/ BTW the reason I know how E.I. is
set-up I worked for H.R.D.C. for 17 years and 10 of those years was as an insurance
agent. I am not sure where you could located the rules, regulations or manuals. Your
local HRDC would have a big bookcase for people to look at on request. You would not
be able to take them home but you should be able to look at them on site.
--

Heather "Peter Wu" <[email protected]>
[usenetquote2]> > Unless you have contributed to E.I.(Employment Insurance) in Canada,[/usenetquote2]
sorry
[usenetquote2]> > you won't be receiving any amount of monies from the fund. E.I. is an insurance[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > plan, just as any other insurance you must pay the premuims.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Michelle Nov 26th 2001 12:07 pm

So what I could draw from your statement is that "if we could not be employed from
the first day we land in Canada, we could get NO relief funds from the government,
right? But I heard that either the local municipal government or the Canadian
government would send out relief funds in various kinds to unemployed immigrates.
Would you pls provide us more information on this, your help will be highly
appreciated!

Thanks, Michelle

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > So whether I could be eligible for being a member paticipating in this plan, I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > mean as a new immigrate from other countries, can I enter this plan? And[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > meanwhile how much should my family as a whole contribute yearly for E.I., and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > how much could my family get from this plan if we stay employed?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]

Andrew Miller Nov 26th 2001 12:14 pm

Immigrants in the Independent category are required to have with them enough funds to
survive for several months upon landing in Canada, while looking for a job. If you
don't have such funds your landing may be denied. I'm sorry for being so blunt here,
but Canada needs immigrants to work here and contribute to our economy, not to draw
social assistance.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending email)

"Michelle" <[email protected]>
[usenetquote2]> > The way to contribute to E.I. is to work in Canada. Your employer will take the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > contributions and other taxes (which would be listed on a pay stub or statement).[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > So if the person is unemployed before working in Canada then no you would not be[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > able to eligible for E.I. .[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Heather[/usenetquote2]

[usenetquote2]> > > So whether I could be eligible for being a member paticipating in this plan, I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > mean as a new immigrate from other countries, can I enter this plan? And[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > meanwhile how much should my family as a whole contribute yearly for E.I., and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > how much could my family get from this plan if we stay employed?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
    >

Stuart Nov 26th 2001 2:02 pm

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

You would not be eligible for EI but you could be eligible for welfare programs which
may just about stop you from starving, but that's all, if you cannot find employment
and you run out of funds. You will be expected to use your funds first.

Michelle Nov 26th 2001 11:14 pm

>
    >
    >

So you mean we have to use up our funds first before we could get any welfare
funds from the government, right? And how much will the funds in welfare program
be each month?

Thanks again for your answer Michelle

Stuart Nov 27th 2001 1:25 am

[usenetquote2]>>[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> You would not be eligible for EI but you could be eligible for welfare programs[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> which may just about stop you from starving, but that's all, if you cannot find[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> employment and you run out of funds. You will be expected to use your funds first.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

How much depends on your individual needs. It's all means tested. And yes, you can't
have any cash left.

Stuart

Michelle Nov 27th 2001 12:12 pm

You mean we could have more if we ask more?

Michelle

Stuart <[email protected]>

>

>
    >
    >
    >

Stuart Nov 27th 2001 1:21 pm

>
    >
    >

No... what you get depends on need ... not on desire. Social assistance is not enough
to live on. It is just that ... assistance.

Michelle Nov 27th 2001 10:33 pm

But how can the government know how much we need??

Stuart <[email protected]>

>
    >

Stuart Nov 28th 2001 12:10 am

>
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]>> No... what you get depends on need ... not on desire. Social assistance is not[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> enough to live on. It is just that ... assistance.[/usenetquote2]

You don't understand the significance of the word "need" ... It's not a case of you
get what you need, but rather what you get is based on what you need. For example,
if you are homeless with children, you may get assistance with shelter, but not
shelter. Remember the welfare pot of funds and services available is very small, so
it has to be divided up. Every person who qualifies for assistance then gets a
smaller part of the pot.

We are really talking here about poverty level assistance here. If you run a
significant risk of needing that kind of assistance in a short time, you won't get an
immigrant visa as you were previously told.

If you don't think you can establish yourself sufficiently to find work in a timely
manner to save you from this kind of situation, you really should not consider
emigrating anywhere!

Stuart