Question for Former Lancastrian

Old Jul 13th 2019, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Question for Former Lancastrian

I have Canadian and US passports. The last few times I have driven into Canada, I presented my Canadian passport to the immigration officer. Each time I was asked where I lived (Maryland) and then what my status is in the US. When I replied that I am a US citizen, I was asked if I had proof of that. So I then presented my US passport. Should I just present my US passport at the Canadian port of entry? I'm now wondering what's the point of even having a Canadian passport.
Old Jul 13th 2019, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question for Former Lancastrian

Because it is proof of Canadian citizenship so therefore they cannot refuse you entry into Canada. If you entered on your US passport then if no Canadian passport, Canadian birth certificate, Canadian Citizenship card or Certificate of Naturalization on you then how would you prove Canadian citizenship?

A Canadian citizen within the meaning of the Citizenship Act has a right to enter and remain in Canada pursuant to subsection A19(1).

The following documents are acceptable proof of Canadian citizenship:
  •  Canadian passport;
  •  Certificate of Canadian Citizenship (both large and pocket- or wallet-sized; the

smaller form now exists in two versions: a 44mm x 57mm (1 3/4” X 2 1/4”)

photograph and a 35mm X 53mm (1 3/8" X 2 1/16") photograph);
  •  Canadian Emergency Passport (a border services officer at the PIL will automatically

refer for a secondary examination a person in possession of a Canadian Emergency Passport. Once the person’s identity has been verified, the border services officer at Immigration Secondary retains the passport and forwards it to
  • Certificate of Naturalization issued before January 1, 1947;
  •  Certificate of Registration of Birth Abroad issued between January 1, 1947, and

February 14, 1977, inclusive; and
    Certificate of Retention of Canadian Citizenship issued between January 1, 1947 and February 14, 1977, inclusive.

A Canadian provincial birth certificate is a good indicator of Canadian citizenship but does not contain a photograph. The border services officer must therefore be satisfied that the person is the rightful holder.

Canadian citizens flying into Canada who hold dual citizenship are required to use a Canadian passport due to the new eTA regulations however US citizens are exempt eTA so you could get away with it. Do you really need one well that's for you to decide should the day ever arise when crossing into Canada and you have no proof of Canadian citizenship with you especially if born in Canada as you wouldn't be in the computer system to check so could be stuck for a couple of hours while enquiries are made.
Old Jul 13th 2019, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. I value my Canadian passport. I guess what I really meant to ask is what’s the point of even presenting the Canadian passport first? Seems like I should just present the US passport first (which negates the need to have a conversation about my status in the US) and only whip out the Canadian passport if they refuse me entry - which has never happened when I’ve just used the US passport anyway.
Old Jul 13th 2019, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

My opinion has always been if you are a citizen of destination country enter with that passport. Just creates less hassle IMO. Its weird that the CBSA care so much about your status in the US, you are a Canadian citizen re-entering Canada. I guess its for tax purposes to see if you are resident or not.

I prefer entering EU. Never any questions asked when I present EU passport. They just wave me through.
Old Jul 13th 2019, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gozit
My opinion has always been if you are a citizen of destination country enter with that passport. Just creates less hassle IMO. Its weird that the CBSA care so much about your status in the US, you are a Canadian citizen re-entering Canada. I guess its for tax purposes to see if you are resident or not.

I prefer entering EU. Never any questions asked when I present EU passport. They just wave me through.
Well, yes, that's what I used to think but it seems that presenting my Canadian passport is actually causing me more hassle.
Old Jul 14th 2019, 3:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps driving a vehicle with US plates is attracting attention as normally a Canadian citizen is not allowed to drive a US plated vehicle when living in Canada.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...2-4-1-eng.html
Old Jul 18th 2019, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Perhaps driving a vehicle with US plates is attracting attention as normally a Canadian citizen is not allowed to drive a US plated vehicle when living in Canada.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...2-4-1-eng.html
Yeah, that's probably it. I think I'm just going to go back to presenting my US passport when driving into Canada. That will eliminate the question about my status in the US - for which I have to present my US passport anyway. Just seems silly to me that it's actually less hassle to present my US passport rather than my Canadian passport when driving into Canada.