Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Question For The Experts About Work Permits?

Question For The Experts About Work Permits?

Old Apr 12th 2006, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute
Question Question For The Experts About Work Permits?

We've been researching the possibility of hubby getting an inter-company transfer to Calgary.

He's been reading up on WP's this evening on the CHC website. It says that some types of intra company tranferees do not need a confirmation from HRSDC.

Does anybody know what type(s) they mean please?

TIA
Old Apr 12th 2006, 10:03 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question For The Experts About Work Permits?

Hi

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
We've been researching the possibility of hubby getting an inter-company transfer to Calgary.

He's been reading up on WP's this evening on the CHC website. It says that some types of intra company tranferees do not need a confirmation from HRSDC.

Does anybody know what type(s) they mean please?

TIA
Read : http://www.cic.gc.ca/manuals-guides/english/fw/fwe.pdf Section 5.31
also Sec 5.2 trainers, specialized knowledge.
Old Apr 12th 2006, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Read : http://www.cic.gc.ca/manuals-guides/english/fw/fwe.pdf Section 5.31
also Sec 5.2 trainers, specialized knowledge.

Thanks for the link
Old Apr 13th 2006, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

skigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant futureskigordi has a brilliant future

From my experience I think that once you agree with a company to transfer over, they will then write a justification for you to submit with your WP application....which will point out how unique your skills are and how important you are to the company.

Thanks for the link
Old Apr 13th 2006, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by skigordi
From my experience I think that once you agree with a company to transfer over, they will then write a justification for you to submit with your WP application....which will point out how unique your skills are and how important you are to the company.

Thanks, I was wondering about this. Does your PR go through quicker too? For example, say we went to Calgary via my husband's job when a suitable vacancy arose. Within 2 months we submitted a new PR application, would it be processed faster because he was already in employment?
Old Apr 13th 2006, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I was wondering about this. Does your PR go through quicker too? For example, say we went to Calgary via my husband's job when a suitable vacancy arose. Within 2 months we submitted a new PR application, would it be processed faster because he was already in employment?
There are rumours that the processing goes through faster, but based upon experiences of colleagues here I'm begining to doubt it. Two who applied though Buffalo around the time of 9/11 both took over 3 years Berhaps extra security checks, but .....

Can they get you in through the Alberta PNP instead ?
Old Apr 13th 2006, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Posidrive
There are rumours that the processing goes through faster, but based upon experiences of colleagues here I'm begining to doubt it. Two who applied though Buffalo around the time of 9/11 both took over 3 years Berhaps extra security checks, but .....

Can they get you in through the Alberta PNP instead ?

We don't know about the PNP route yet We spent last night researching work permits, so tonight we'll be looking at Alberta PNP. We're both still getting over the upset and trying to press on with how to get into Canada as we're still determined to go.

We think our best chance is maybe through my husband's work. They were only recently taken over by a US company who have offices in Canada. He plans to write a letter to his work requesting a transfer to Calgary. Obviously once that letter has been written and handed in he knows they will see him in a different light. Luckily he gets on well with his boss and those above. I'm hoping that they'll try and help us ......... Will have to wait and see.
Old Apr 13th 2006, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

We don't know about the PNP route yet We spent last night researching work permits, so tonight we'll be looking at Alberta PNP. We're both still getting over the upset and trying to press on with how to get into Canada as we're still determined to go.

We think our best chance is maybe through my husband's work. They were only recently taken over by a US company who have offices in Canada. He plans to write a letter to his work requesting a transfer to Calgary. Obviously once that letter has been written and handed in he knows they will see him in a different light. Luckily he gets on well with his boss and those above. I'm hoping that they'll try and help us ......... Will have to wait and see.
Best of luck.

But, be wary of US companies and how they treat employees. The one I work for relocated a colleague to Calgary then laid her off before she got PR. After a 12 month fight to stay she had to return to Europe about a month ago. I'm starting to feel a little nervous myself
Old Apr 13th 2006, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Posidrive
Best of luck.

But, be wary of US companies and how they treat employees. The one I work for relocated a colleague to Calgary then laid her off before she got PR. After a 12 month fight to stay she had to return to Europe about a month ago. I'm starting to feel a little nervous myself

If we didn't have children then we'd probably take the chance, but to me it's a different case you have kids. We have 2, the eldest of which will be going into Y11 this autumn. I'm not sure about taking the risk of WP route. We've been sitting here tonight researching WP and PNP on the Internet. To be honest we just don't know what to do next My worst senario is exactly like your colleague's. We get there, settle down, kids are happy and then for some reason DH either gets laid off or CHC decide they won't approve our application and we're out of Canada.
Old Apr 13th 2006, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

If we didn't have children then we'd probably take the chance, but to me it's a different case you have kids. We have 2, the eldest of which will be going into Y11 this autumn. I'm not sure about taking the risk of WP route. We've been sitting here tonight researching WP and PNP on the Internet. To be honest we just don't know what to do next My worst senario is exactly like your colleague's. We get there, settle down, kids are happy and then for some reason DH either gets laid off or CHC decide they won't approve our application and we're out of Canada.
We're in the same situation with a 10 year old son, but at the end of the day we couldn't bare the thought of in many years time thinking "if only". My colleagues situation was a little further complicated by the fact that my company was a little economical with the truth about her qualifications to get her the HRSDC approval, so she couldn't get approval later on despite having a number of potential job offers.

If your employer can go the PNP route for you then it's the way to go. The employer part takes about 2 months then it's another 6 months for the federal part. No need to worry about points either, although having a job can get you up to another 15 points even if you don't go the PNP route.

Even with the PNP route you can still arrive in Canada on a work permit while the PR process is ongoing. One thing to keep in mind is that you are entitled to stay in Canada until the end of the work permit even if you are laid off. This gives you a chance to find another job. I don't know what your skills are, but the Calgary economy is BOOMING. You can get an open work permit for $150 that entitles you to work for anyone for the same duration as the employer specific work permit.

Good luck, whatever you decide.
Old Apr 13th 2006, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the extra info. Posidrive. I hope it all works out for you in the end. At least you've got a job over there 'and your foot in the door' so to speak, so that will go for you How long have you been in Calgary? Do you have long to wait for PR?

My husband is a Project Manager in IT, in security systems. We're going to do more research over the weekend and decide what to do next. We don't want to be in the 'if only?' club either 20 years down the road
Old Apr 14th 2006, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of

Blimey.....
Crafty...I've been following your progress for some time now, and as I said in your previous post, how sorry we were to hear about your rejection. I admire your tenacity, in wanting to live in Canada.

I hope those two routes work for you....I'd be a bit concernd about the WP route, as I believe that if you lose/don't like working for that particular company, then basically you have to return to the UK. Don't know about the PNP though. The timeframes are sh*t at the moment for applying again.

Anyway again wishing you success in your endeavours.
Old Apr 14th 2006, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by frankieforehead
Blimey.....
Crafty...I've been following your progress for some time now, and as I said in your previous post, how sorry we were to hear about your rejection. I admire your tenacity, in wanting to live in Canada.

I hope those two routes work for you....I'd be a bit concernd about the WP route, as I believe that if you lose/don't like working for that particular company, then basically you have to return to the UK. Don't know about the PNP though. The timeframes are sh*t at the moment for applying again.

Anyway again wishing you success in your endeavours.

Thanks Frankie After speaking to someone in the know today, hubby is going to approach his work about a transfer. We have both been very down this past week, but feel like there is a little bit of hope again. We know Canada isn't perfect. It has it's problems like the UK, but we like that it has more space and more community spirit than here. I personally love the fact it has more sunshine. We had a very dismal/grey winter here, got a lot of peeps down, especially me. I don't mind the cold, as long as we have some sun!
Old Apr 14th 2006, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of

I personally love the fact it has more sunshine. We had a very dismal/grey winter here, got a lot of peeps down, especially me. I don't mind the cold, as long as we have some sun!
I will agree ....weather wise, although it has been pretty Baltic here, I have found this winter to be different, than a typical english winter...I don't think that I've felt miserable at all...it's been cold, but not damp, it's the dampness that pees me off.

Again with communities...we have great neighbours, and they are genuine. Thier humour is not the same, and I sort of look at it as if you were the only brit at a party full of Germans....they just find things funny that you don't, and vice versa.
Old Apr 14th 2006, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by frankieforehead
Again with communities...we have great neighbours, and they are genuine. Thier humour is not the same, and I sort of look at it as if you were the only brit at a party full of Germans....they just find things funny that you don't, and vice versa.

Great that you have good neighbours. Hmmmm, already know that Canadian humour is on a different planet to ours. I bet you'll be glad when you both find something funny then eh