Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Question for Dear Andrew... Graduate visas - changing employers

Question for Dear Andrew... Graduate visas - changing employers

Old Mar 28th 2008, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Frozenrose is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question for Dear Andrew... Graduate visas - changing employers

Dear Andrew et al

I am on a graduate work visa but have been offered a position with a new employer. I know that my initial visa is employer specific, and I will leave this position to begin my new position in a week and a half. I am not sure how I transfer my permit - it doesnt seem to be well explained on the cic.gc.ca website. I really dont understand how to do it, whether I have to get a new letter stating the position or what I have to do. please, if you can give me some advice, such as whether I have to pay fees or how I do it, I would really really appreciate it right now. I have a short period of time to figure this out...

Thank you as ever
Old Mar 30th 2008, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Question for Dear Andrew... Graduate visas - changing employers

Does anyone have the answer to this question... I am panicking! Please help
Old Mar 30th 2008, 8:55 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Frozenrose
Does anyone have the answer to this question... I am panicking! Please help
You have to apply to Vegreville for a new work permit/change of condition. The job offer has to be in the field of your studies. You cannot start work until you receive the new work permit. Follow the instructions here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/w...stgrad-how.asp
Old Mar 30th 2008, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Hells bells!

Do I have to pay a fee? Do i have to resubmit my transcripts again? Surely this is already all on record? Do they require another letter from my school... I need to do this asap!
Old Mar 30th 2008, 11:16 am
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

may i ask if you've read the link pmm provided - and the documents (specially the guide) which are linked there? i'm by no means a pro (specially not in the student / post grad thing), so take this post with a pinch of salt. all the information below i gathered on the cic site.

i don't see a clear information neither in your original post nor in your signature until when your initial post grad wp is valid... depending on that and if i got the idea right your new employer might be in the situation to have to get a lmo - in other words you possibly fall out of the lmo-exempt criteria of a post grad wp and need to get a standard one ( i wait for andrew or other experts to confirm that though). this quote is from the link pmm provided:
But if you want to extend your work permit beyond the one- or two-year limit, then you must obtain a labour market opinion from Service Canada.
yes, every new wp or extension of a wp requires the fee of cad 150. and in not sending them the whole package (see the checklist) you highly risk delays in the processing. probably you would just get your application back if it's not complete.
but at the end of the day it is your choice if you prefer the hassle with cic over the hassle with getting your documents. best of luck with whatever you choose!
Old Mar 30th 2008, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

This isnt a new visa - I am already on a grad visa - its a change of conditions - in my conditions it is employer specific so as I am changing employers then I need to get a change - it doesnt state in that info [from the link] whether this means I repay or not. Being as I have already proved I have graduated before I do not know whether I have to get my transcripts etc again or not... I will if I have to, I just have limited time... Once I have this change done I will then apply for a twp with a LMO which my employer has said they will do [obviously, this is under the conditions it gets approved]anyways my real issue is with how to change the conditions on a visa I already have which remains valid until the end of July..
Old Mar 30th 2008, 3:42 pm
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

i'm sorry that my understanding of the regulations is (and remains) different from yours. i just tried to point out a potential hurdle.
to me changing employers means getting a new wp (and generally speaking a new piece of paper costs the fee) - even if your old one would last for another 3 or so months.
and - again in my understanding - a lmo-exempt post grad wp is issued only once (and you have to get it in the first 90 days after graduation, right?).

that's how i personally read it - i still wait for the experts to correct me.
take care!
Old Mar 30th 2008, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

Hey Lof,

Sorry - I didnt mean to sound abrasive to your advice! It is very helpful. I guess I am panicking due to time constraints. Right now I dont want to lose my year [or just under] of continual employment by making a mistake.. but my new employer says I have to start in a week... I am considering volunteering and getting pay in lieu once my visa has been transferred... but I dont want to lose any of my continual employment for my PR application.. I am pretty sure I can change employers on this visa - I just have to contact them to inform them. Mr Miller your help would sincerely be appreciated as I am becoming very confused!
Old Mar 30th 2008, 4:46 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Frozenrose
Hey Lof,

Sorry - I didnt mean to sound abrasive to your advice! It is very helpful. I guess I am panicking due to time constraints. Right now I dont want to lose my year [or just under] of continual employment by making a mistake.. but my new employer says I have to start in a week... I am considering volunteering and getting pay in lieu once my visa has been transferred... but I dont want to lose any of my continual employment for my PR application.. I am pretty sure I can change employers on this visa - I just have to contact them to inform them. Mr Miller your help would sincerely be appreciated as I am becoming very confused!
You have to pay, and "volunteering" is working without permission, you get caught so long Canada.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

If you arent being paid surely its the equivalent of interning. ?
Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:47 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

You seem to be fishing for the answer you want instead of the correct one as was provided by PMM.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

well not really - interned for 3 years in an equivalent position and was not paid nor had a permit while in school so its not that unreasonable to assume that I could intern again for three days or something... people do do it.