Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Question on Alberta PNP for semi skilled worker PNP

Question on Alberta PNP for semi skilled worker PNP

Old Aug 16th 2014, 3:56 am
Just Joined

stanone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question on Alberta PNP for semi skilled worker PNP

Hello everyone
I had a chat with a friend who seems to know much about the Canadian Immigration system . I spoke to him about the chances of a semi skilled worker getting employed as a TFW in Alberta and then getting nominated later on. He said finding an employer in Alberta isn't really difficult but getting nominated (AINP) is a huge problem , Basically he advised me to forget the province as it takes a very long time to process the nomination and most times semi skilled workers fail in their attempt to be nominated . I would like to know if there's any truth to this .
Old Aug 16th 2014, 3:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question on Alberta PNP for semi skilled worker PNP

Originally Posted by stanone
Hello everyone
I had a chat with a friend who seems to know much about the Canadian Immigration system . I spoke to him about the chances of a semi skilled worker getting employed as a TFW in Alberta and then getting nominated later on. He said finding an employer in Alberta isn't really difficult but getting nominated (AINP) is a huge problem , Basically he advised me to forget the province as it takes a very long time to process the nomination and most times semi skilled workers fail in their attempt to be nominated . I would like to know if there's any truth to this .
Personally, I don't think there is much truth to it tbh! As a semi-skilled worker it's not like you'd have many provinces to choose from, and actually AB is usually one of the quicker and easier ones compared to others.

Nomination will take around 3 months or so, I don't see why he thinks semi-skilled workers would 'fail in their attempt to be nominated' either - if they're eligible, then they're eligible!

Have a look on the truckers forum, plenty of semi-skilled workers on there that have got PR under the semi-skilled stream.

Good luck.
Old Aug 16th 2014, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

bc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Personally, I don't think there is much truth to it tbh! As a semi-skilled worker it's not like you'd have many provinces to choose from, and actually AB is usually one of the quicker and easier ones compared to others.

Nomination will take around 3 months or so
, I don't see why he thinks semi-skilled workers would 'fail in their attempt to be nominated' either - if they're eligible, then they're eligible!

Have a look on the truckers forum, plenty of semi-skilled workers on there that have got PR under the semi-skilled stream.

Good luck.
It's actually 8 - 12 months at the moment. Given the new TFW rules including the 2-year limit, it's a really tight timeline for getting nominated right now if your job pays below the provincial median. If there's a minimum residency requirement, then that just further tightens the schedule.

To the OP, which jobs are you considering in particular? Can you be more specific and state whether they fall into the high-wage or low-wage categories?
Old Aug 16th 2014, 4:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc_guy
It's actually 8 - 12 months at the moment. Given the new TFW rules including the 2-year limit, it's a really tight timeline for getting nominated right now if your job pays below the provincial median. If there's a minimum residency requirement, then that just further tightens the schedule.

To the OP, which jobs are you considering in particular? Can you be more specific and state whether they fall into the high-wage or low-wage categories?
8-12 months is unusual though, and only because of a backlog, it's predicted to be back to normal shortly, and as the OP doesn't sound like he's even got a job offer yet, I'm not sure that hugely increased processing time would apply to him by then.

There is a minimum requirement for the semi-skilled stream though, 6 months irrc?
Old Aug 16th 2014, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

bc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond repute

8-12 months is unusual though, and only because of a backlog, it's predicted to be back to normal shortly, and as the OP doesn't sound like he's even got a job offer yet, I'm not sure that hugely increased processing time would apply to him by then.

There is a minimum requirement for the semi-skilled stream though, 6 months irrc?
The minimum requirement is 6 months assuming that you already have 3 years of experience in the field (whether it was inside or outside Canada) at the time of your application. The OP hasn't stated how much experience he has in his field. But I hope that you're right about the backlog clearing up. If so, then the OP might have a chance by the time he gets a job and LMO. Does anyone know the reason why it's backlogged though?
Old Aug 16th 2014, 9:42 am
Just Joined

Hey Christmasoompa and Bc guy. Thanks for replying my post .
@bc guy I am considering the following type of jobs

• General labourer jobs under NOC 961 ,9617 etc
  • Food counter attendant and Food counter attendants, kitchen
  • helpers and related support occupations -NOC 6711
  • Trade helper and labourer NOC 761
  • Material handlers 7452
  • Shippers and receivers 1521
  • Store shelf stockers
  • Clerks and order fillers NOC 6622
  • Industrial butchers and meat cutters, poultry preparers and related workers NOC 9462
  • Process control and machine operators
  • Food, beverage and associated products processing NOC 9461
  • Other labourers in processing, manufacturing and utilities NOC 9619
  • House keeping and Light duty cleaners NOC 6731

Basically semi / low skill jobs , I have about 3 years experience working as a Material handler , 2 years working experience as a production line worker in a beverage/ food processing industries and 3 years working experience as a Bakery / Kitchen assistant . That's a total of 8 years of work experience.

@Christmasoompa could you please provide a link on the AINP minimum requirement for semi-skilled workers.
Old Aug 16th 2014, 10:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

All about the AINP
Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program | Alberta Canada - Alberta, Canada

Semi skilled stream
Semi-skilled Worker criteria | Alberta Canada - Alberta, Canada

I guess google doesn't work in the UK
Old Aug 16th 2014, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

alandoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Alberta is terrible for nomination. AINP received my application on 21st November last year. I have my file number. Still no nomination. A friend's partner who is Canadian recently called them a month ago & was told they would look at any application received then (beginning of Juky) in March next year at the EARLIEST. I have friends who applied at the same time, none of us have been nominated. We work for different companies.
My present WP runs out in March next year, my employer is way over the 30% max for TFWs. I am wondering if the nomination will be any good even if I get it?
System is a bloody cock up & the government couldn't care less. You are a disposable piece of crap to them.
Old Aug 16th 2014, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by alandoug
Alberta is terrible for nomination. AINP received my application on 21st November last year. I have my file number. Still no nomination. A friend's partner who is Canadian recently called them a month ago & was told they would look at any application received then (beginning of Juky) in March next year at the EARLIEST. I have friends who applied at the same time, none of us have been nominated. We work for different companies.
My present WP runs out in March next year, my employer is way over the 30% max for TFWs. I am wondering if the nomination will be any good even if I get it?
System is a bloody cock up & the government couldn't care less. You are a disposable piece of crap to them.

Sounds really terrible ! I'm guessing AINP isn't the way to go then, I would have to do some more research on this . Thanks Alan.