Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Question about visitor status while waiting permanent residency AOR

Question about visitor status while waiting permanent residency AOR

Old Aug 14th 2014, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

Littlebunny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about visitor status while waiting permanent residency AOR

Hello

My current work permit expires on August 30th and I sent my permanent residency application to CIC about 5 weeks ago. I thought the turnaround time to receive an Acknowledgement of Receipt was around 30 days but I found out today it could take up to 10 weeks!

I understand I'll need to get visitor status for after my permit expires and before we get an AOR and can apply for a bridging permit, otherwise I'll have to leave the country. Please would somebody advise the best way to do this? Should I apply online or go to the border?

Thanks
Amy
Old Aug 14th 2014, 9:32 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about visitor status while waiting permanent residency AOR

Originally Posted by Littlebunny
Hello

My current work permit expires on August 30th and I sent my permanent residency application to CIC about 5 weeks ago. I thought the turnaround time to receive an Acknowledgement of Receipt was around 30 days but I found out today it could take up to 10 weeks!

I understand I'll need to get visitor status for after my permit expires and before we get an AOR and can apply for a bridging permit, otherwise I'll have to leave the country. Please would somebody advise the best way to do this? Should I apply online or go to the border?

Thanks
Amy
You are best to apply online to change to visitor status.

Are you sure you will qualify for a bridging open work permit?

Temporary Foreign Worker Program: Provincial nominees or permanent resident applications – Bridging open work permits for certain federal economic class applicants

"They have valid status on a WP that is due to expire within 4 months"
Old Aug 14th 2014, 12:40 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You are best to apply online to change to visitor status.

Are you sure you will qualify for a bridging open work permit?

Temporary Foreign Worker Program: Provincial nominees or permanent resident applications – Bridging open work permits for certain federal economic class applicants

"They have valid status on a WP that is due to expire within 4 months"

If the OP switches to visitor status, s/he won't be eligible for BOWP.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 1:51 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

If the OP switches to visitor status, s/he won't be eligible for BOWP.
That was my point - as well as the fact that her work permit will have expired.

Old Aug 18th 2014, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

Hi Siouxie and PMM

My partner will also have got a job by then so we will have renewed work permits and wait until they are within 4 months of expiry before applying for a BOWP.

I am trying to complete the visitor application online but it doesn't allow me to select "Initial temporary resident permit or extension of temporary resident permit". The only option I can select is "Extension of my temporary resident status", however doesn't this imply that I am already currently a visitor? Or is this still ok if I am currently a worker?

Thanks
Amy
Old Aug 18th 2014, 6:26 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Littlebunny
Hi Siouxie and PMM

My partner will also have got a job by then so we will have renewed work permits and wait until they are within 4 months of expiry before applying for a BOWP.

I am trying to complete the visitor application online but it doesn't allow me to select "Initial temporary resident permit or extension of temporary resident permit". The only option I can select is "Extension of my temporary resident status", however doesn't this imply that I am already currently a visitor? Or is this still ok if I am currently a worker?

Thanks
Amy
Even workers are 'temporary residents'.

Guide 5551 - Applying to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada

Old Aug 18th 2014, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

Thank you!