Wikiposts

Question about supporting letters

Old Dec 29th 2010, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

welsho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about supporting letters

Hey up!

With regards to common-law immigration to Canada, I'm seeing that some people are including testimonials in the form of letters from friends and family. While obviously I understand that the content is supposed to support an application - stating in so many words that the relationship is "genuine and ongoing", in the words of the form - I was wondering if anybody could tell me exactly the sort of things said in their letters...?

We have a good number of relatives and close friends (all professionals, like teachers, accountants, etc) who would be willing to write us testimonials saying that our relationship is genuine, but is there anything more that should be included in addition to, "Yes, Heather and David have been together 8 years, and living together for nearly four."? I was thinking of attaching a relevant photograph to each letter (eg a letter from my parents accompanied by a photograph of the four of us together).

Also, and there seems to be some debate on this, is it necessary to get such statements notarised? It seems to me that a well written testimonial from my sister and her husband, for example, all signed and dated and whatnot - perhaps recalling a family trip we all took together, with photos - would be sufficient without notarisation? (if so, what exactly does need notarisation - apart from translated documents - in an application?)

Sorry for all the questions in one go! We've been thinking about this process for years but this week it becomes a reality, and I'm desperately gathering and recording all our evidence before trying to draft our answers!
Old Dec 30th 2010, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

Mrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really nice
Default Re: Question about supporting letters

I dont think there is any real format to it - but I think your plan of including photos is good, and if people were to comment that they have known you both for x years, and that you have been living together for x years of that it can't hurt. I don't know that you would need to attach the photos to the letters, but including them with the general photos documenting your relationship would be good.

We weren't common law, but we didn't have to get anything notarised. From memory, it didn't ask for things to be notarised, but maybe someone else can give you a better steer on this.

Good luck with your app!
Old Dec 30th 2010, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I would get friends and family to write letters that could describe times spent with you both and include photographs of of you.
You want CIC to see how your lives have been spent together, to assure them that your relationship is genuine don't you? ...so any evidence that supports that would be to that aim.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 11:53 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

The nearest I came to a supporting letter was in answering Q12 on IMM5285 (it's a form for inland spousal sponsorship), which asked:
On a separate sheet of paper, provide any additional details of your current relationship that you believe would help to prove your relationship is genuine and continuing

We did also supply photos, showing trips we had made together. We listed who was present in the photos and when and where they were taken.

Obviously what we supplied must have been good enough as they allowed my fiance to sponsor me and obtain PR.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

zoec is an unknown quantity at this point

My dad and my bfs mum both wrote letters, they were a page each, hand written. they both said that they had known us for x number of years, on which dates they had met us and how long me and my bf had been going out for and that we had been living together for a year, that was about it! they both also left their addresses and phone numbers. Both of the letters they wrote were pretty short and sometimes being concise i think helps, rather than writing a detailed letter about your relationship. I got PR in June this year so must have done something right!

Good luck!