Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Question about skilled worker timelines

Question about skilled worker timelines

Old Jul 6th 2009, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

the blairs will become famous soon enough
Default Question about skilled worker timelines

Hi !!

First post here and new to the forum

Let me tell you that I have read and read the info on here and in the WIKI

but I just wanted to clarify something that is confusing me a little... (doesnt take much )

If the time for a skilled worker PR visa is no longer 3-5years but 6-12 months??????

Fank ewe

The Blairs
Old Jul 6th 2009, 3:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about skilled worker timelines

Originally Posted by the blairs
Hi !!

but I just wanted to clarify something that is confusing me a little... (doesnt take much )

If the time for a skilled worker PR visa is no longer 3-5years but 6-12 months??????

Fank ewe

The Blairs
Hi and welcome to the forum,

Yes, you're quite correct - the processing time is now 6-12 months. Until last year it was 3-5 years but then the SW visa process changed completely and so now there are far less applications and consequently less of a backlog.

Feel free to edit the Wiki, or let me know which page you were looking at and I will do it.

Old Jul 6th 2009, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Christmasoompa !!

3 years was perfect for us as we have only been contemplating the move for a few months now. So we thought that 3 years would give us time to pay some stuff off, save us money, finish uni, let the kids finish primary school etc....etc....etc....

Now the time line is 6-12 months I am confused (told you it didn't take much !!!)

I would go tomorrow if I could but unfortunantly circumstances don't allow this (neither does the immigration process )

so really what we have to do now is decide whether we apply now, try and change our perfect 3 years into 2 and land then come back to the uk for a while.
or
leave it to apply for a while.

Just worried that if we leave for now, then the LIST or the timeline will change again.

the blairs
Old Jul 6th 2009, 3:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Christmasoompa !!

3 years was perfect for us as we have only been contemplating the move for a few months now. So we thought that 3 years would give us time to pay some stuff off, save us money, finish uni, let the kids finish primary school etc....etc....etc....

Now the time line is 6-12 months I am confused (told you it didn't take much !!!)

I would go tomorrow if I could but unfortunantly circumstances don't allow this (neither does the immigration process )

so really what we have to do now is decide whether we apply now, try and change our perfect 3 years into 2 and land then come back to the uk for a while.
or

Just worried that if we leave for now, then the LIST or the timeline will change again.

the blairs
Don't forget that you only have to land within a year of medicals, and after landing you can then you can spend a further 3 years out of Canada before you absolutely have to move back to maintain PR status.

So you can easily drag it out to 3 years before you have to move? Might be worth thinking about anyway.

Good luck deciding!

Old Jul 7th 2009, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

samjr400 is an unknown quantity at this point

We are in a slightly different position - applied as skilled worker we meet the new criteria and can go tomorrow!!! We have been waiting 16 weeks for the first approval from Nova Scotia which we were told should be 4-6 weeks!!!! we are certainly hoping the next step does take 6-12 months!!!!
Old Jul 7th 2009, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Why is the processing time being shorter a problem? If you aren't ready now, leave it until you are...

Thanks Christmasoompa !!

or

the blairs
Old Jul 7th 2009, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by samjr400
We are in a slightly different position - applied as skilled worker we meet the new criteria and can go tomorrow!!! We have been waiting 16 weeks for the first approval from Nova Scotia which we were told should be 4-6 weeks!!!! we are certainly hoping the next step does take 6-12 months!!!!
Lucky you. We've been waiting almost 2 years. It will be at least 3 until we get a result.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Question about skilled worker timelines

Hi !!

Fank ewe

The Blairs
Hi there,

6-12 months processing time for post February 2008 applications seems to becoming a reality now.

Ironically, people who applied just before February 2008 are still waiting to be processed in a lot of cases.

As Christmasoompa said, you can apply and drag it out (as long as you land within 12 months of your medicals).

Good luck,

Sarah
Old Jul 7th 2009, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bodgerx
Why is the processing time being shorter a problem? If you aren't ready now, leave it until you are...
Yes that is the obvious answer. However, I am slightly apprehensive should the LIST change during that time or should the processing time increase.

Originally Posted by SarahBC
Hi there,

Good luck,

Sarah
Thanks Sarah !

The Blairs
Old Jul 8th 2009, 12:51 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samjr400
If the Canadian High Commission quote 6 to 12 months. Then I would assume 12 months at best and you will be less dissapointed.

Dealing with Canadian Civil Service is slow, slow and slow!
Old Jul 8th 2009, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

Yes it certainly does!!! I will feel happier when we get past first base and get the forms into London.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

Lucky you. We've been waiting almost 2 years. It will be at least 3 until we get a result.
Is that from London?? It still cant get my head around the post 2008 thing do you meet the criteria under the new rules?
Old Jul 10th 2009, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

Madhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to allMadhouse is a name known to all

Us too, but hopefully it won't be much longer before we get our 90 day letters!
Old Jul 10th 2009, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

ibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the roughibbye13 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi and welcome to the forum,

Yes, you're quite correct - the processing time is now 6-12 months. Until last year it was 3-5 years but then the SW visa process changed completely and so now there are far less applications and consequently less of a backlog.

Feel free to edit the Wiki, or let me know which page you were looking at and I will do it.

Hi

I am on a TWP in Calgary and if what you said about SW visa process is taking less time ..would it be worth it for me to apply directly as SW instead of going through Alberta PNP?

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Ibby
Old Jul 11th 2009, 12:08 am
Just Joined

beckyjones99 is an unknown quantity at this point

I applied for permanent residency in November 2008 and have not yet received an AOR. Is this normal?

To be honest I was expecting that my application would be refused because of the new regulations. However, I have not heard anything. I am now in a position where I have been offered a permanent job. As I still have an application in progress, which does not include this, I am wondering if anyone has any advice on what I do next.

Thanks, Becky

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.