Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Question about Skilled Trades form

Question about Skilled Trades form

Old Jan 6th 2013, 9:59 am
Just Joined

Stu. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about Skilled Trades form

Hi everyone, happy new year..

i'm currently filling out my application for Skilled Trades 'Carpentry' and wondering if I have to send off my IELTS results with it? or does that get sent off at a later date?

Many thanks
Stu
Old Jan 6th 2013, 10:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about Skilled Trades form

What does the checklist say? I'd imagine you must send it off with your application, but haven't actually looked at the document checklist yet so am not sure.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 10:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Just checked, it says original IELTS test result is required. You have downloaded the checklist haven't you?
Old Jan 7th 2013, 1:01 am
Just Joined

fcbayern is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Stu,
It has nothing to do with your question but I was wondering considering that you go via the Skilled Trades route if you have a full-time job offer or if you got your qualifications recognized. If the latter is the case, how did you do that? Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 7th 2013, 7:51 am
Just Joined

Stu. is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah sorry I did download the Checklist, just hadn't looked at it yet, D'oh!!! Thanks Oompa.

fcbayern.. I don't have a job offer, but I believe that with this VISA you don't require one to enter the Country?

Old Jan 7th 2013, 7:57 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Stu.
Yeah sorry I did download the Checklist, just hadn't looked at it yet, D'oh!!! Thanks Oompa.

fcbayern.. I don't have a job offer, but I believe that with this VISA you don't require one to enter the Country?

No probs!

It's either job offer, or your qualifications provincially recognised (i.e. Red Seal). You don't need both
Old Jan 7th 2013, 8:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Stu.

No, it's not required but if you don't have one you need to get your qualifications provincially recognised and I was wondering how you did that. I spent basically all day searching the internet and calling Canadian institutes but no luck. Nobody knows what it's all about... might have something to do with OH's job which is not really a trade but would still fall in the category (Master Mariner / OIM - Oil & Gas supervisor). It's so frustrating!
Old Jan 7th 2013, 8:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by fcbayern
No, it's not required but if you don't have one you need to get your qualifications provincially recognised and I was wondering how you did that. I spent basically all day searching the internet and calling Canadian institutes but no luck. Nobody knows what it's all about... might have something to do with OH's job which is not really a trade but would still fall in the category (Master Mariner / OIM - Oil & Gas supervisor). It's so frustrating!
It's just Red Seal isn't it? Or am I missing something?
Old Jan 7th 2013, 9:21 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It's just Red Seal isn't it? Or am I missing something?
The thing is that OH's job (8222 Contractors and supervisors, oil and gas drilling services) is not on the Red Seal website under "Trades". An email has been sent off though and hopefully they reply soon.

I have called NS and NL provincial contacts of Red Seal and explained the situation and they had no idea what I was talking about.

Also called "Transport Canada" and "Marine Safety". They said that they could probably transfer OH's international certificates into Canadian ones without too much trouble as everything is IMO standard but you have to do that in one of their office in Canada. Only thing is that even though he will then have Canadian certificates they are still not provincially recognised I'm afraid.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Stu.