Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Question about the medical side of things.....

Question about the medical side of things.....

Old Jan 26th 2010, 3:42 am

MrMrsChapman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about the medical side of things.....

Hi,

Ive had a look at the wiki section here but I still need some clarification please

In terms of the medical, do you have to supply your doctors/hospital records? If so, how long do these records need to go back? Or do you just need to provide medical records of recent illnesses?

Thankyou!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

LinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond reputeLinsyPinsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about the medical side of things.....

Originally Posted by MrMrsChapman
Hi,

Ive had a look at the wiki section here but I still need some clarification please

In terms of the medical, do you have to supply your doctors/hospital records? If so, how long do these records need to go back? Or do you just need to provide medical records of recent illnesses?

Thankyou!
What stage are you at??? Have you applied yet?
lnsy
Old Jan 26th 2010, 6:03 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thankyou!
I dont recall supplying any records?

What does the paperwork say to provide, other than X-rays? If you have a condition that records would help to clarify the status of then it might be worth having them available, otherwise just provide what they ask for
Old Jan 26th 2010, 6:38 am

Thats good to know!

Im not at the medicals stage by a long shot, but I have had a condition (although cured now) which I think the docs will be interested in and its been playing on my mind that it could cause problems (hopefully just immigration paranoia!). I'll prepare and ask my doctor to give me the records to be on the safe side. Ive also heard they check scars, is that right? If so Im assuming I'll have to get the records of surgeries too?

The medical side of stuff is my biggest worry, my husband is in perfect health and always has been (luckily, touchwood) but my health has been up and down due to a serious underlying illness (now cured though thank goodness!) which caused a good few years of trouble. My doctor says I shouldnt need any further treatment in the future and has given me a clean bill of health but Id like to be prepared well in advance for any medical questions they may ask.

Its pretty all consuming this immigration lark though isnt it?! Its all I can think about!

Last edited by MrMrsChapman; Jan 26th 2010 at 6:41 am. Reason: I cant spell!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
As a rule of thumb, if you have medical issues that are worrying you, I would ask for a copy of any reports and a printout of your records. The ones I got from my GP for myself and hubby went back 10 years.

Never had any scars checked and not heard of that one......and I do have them from my Caesarian births. Take a copy of any recent smear test and don't book a medical a week either side of your period....to avoid any likelihood of blood in your urine sample. They do ask about operations. If you go with documents....it may save some time...as the DMP will ask for reports for anything they consider a problem....and that could slow down your application.

Medicals do show up somethings you never knew you had.....I thought I was healthy...then found out I have an irregular pulse and a heart murmur, so despite taking copies of records....this had not shown up before...I had to have furthur tests ......so was a huge shock. So even though you think you or hubby are healthy......and I hope that is the case.....just be aware...thats all.

Good luck when it is your turn to take the medicals
Hope this helps
Stef

Thats good to know!

Im not at the medicals stage by a long shot, but I have had a condition (although cured now) which I think the docs will be interested in and its been playing on my mind that it could cause problems (hopefully just immigration paranoia!). I'll prepare and ask my doctor to give me the records to be on the safe side. Ive also heard they check scars, is that right? If so Im assuming I'll have to get the records of surgeries too?

The medical side of stuff is my biggest worry, my husband is in perfect health and always has been (luckily, touchwood) but my health has been up and down due to a serious underlying illness (now cured though thank goodness!) which caused a good few years of trouble. My doctor says I shouldnt need any further treatment in the future and has given me a clean bill of health but Id like to be prepared well in advance for any medical questions they may ask.

Its pretty all consuming this immigration lark though isnt it?! Its all I can think about!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Martin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant futureMartin99 has a brilliant future

Thats good to know!

It may help if you have copies of any discharge papers from any hospital treatments as these can show that you ought not need any further treatment. Certainly, on the medical questionnaire you need to disclose all hospital treatments so if you can answer any likely follow on questions in advance so much the better. The medicals are less about tripping you up but more about providing evidence that you are unlikely to become a financial drain on their health system in the near future.

Cheers

Martin
Old Jan 26th 2010, 7:51 am

Thanks everyone, I will be prepared when the time comes
Old Jan 26th 2010, 8:08 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

The doctor checked my wife's C-section scar when we had our medical. Not sure what they're expecting to find?
Old Jan 26th 2010, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

joepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond reputejoepublic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Question about the medical side of things.....

Hi,

Thankyou!
We had medicals today and I provided copies of hospital tests etc for a serious chest complaint I had a while back. We also provided copies of our daughter's Statement and Asperger's diagnosis, plus reports from her School, Ed Psych, Paediatrician and S&L Therapist. The Dr didn't ask for any of the above but said that we had done the right thing in bringing them along and it would save time in the long run. The copies we provided will get sent off with the medical reports .
Old Jan 26th 2010, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

You can always phone the DMP up when you get the medical request and ask him/her when you book. They will then tell you what they think you should bring.

JET
Old Jan 26th 2010, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I also have a C section scar which has been opened twice....but it was not checked. I think the DMP's please themselves what they do half the time.

There does not seem to be a 'one size fits all' approach.
Stef

Originally Posted by G77
The doctor checked my wife's C-section scar when we had our medical. Not sure what they're expecting to find?
Old Jan 26th 2010, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of
Question Re: Question about the medical side of things.....

Originally Posted by Martin99
It may help if you have copies of any discharge papers from any hospital treatments as these can show that you ought not need any further treatment. Certainly, on the medical questionnaire you need to disclose all hospital treatments so if you can answer any likely follow on questions in advance so much the better. The medicals are less about tripping you up but more about providing evidence that you are unlikely to become a financial drain on their health system in the near future.

Cheers

Martin
Hi Martin

By hospital treatment does that include seeing a consultant for x-rays and echocardiogram and being told nothing to worry about or treatment for a condition that has been diagnosed.

What I'm asking really is if a condition is diagnosed but treatment not neccessary do you disclose the visit for tests? Or wait for them to hear the heart murmur themselves and then tell them and provide evidence in letter from doctor.

Do tests or consultations class a hospital treatment?

This is driving me mad worrying, one day I think we'll be fine the next I'm not so sure!

Also I was signed off by hospital years ago as my condition, (Crohns disease) was completely inactive and doctor even doubting I had ever had it, (diagnosed in London aged 19). Not taken any meds for about 5 years and no relapses Should I get a letter from GP confirmimg all this just in case?

Sorry for all questions hope you don't mind, but any advice would be much appreciated.

Tracy
Old Jan 27th 2010, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by tracys
Hi Martin

By hospital treatment does that include seeing a consultant for x-rays and echocardiogram and being told nothing to worry about or treatment for a condition that has been diagnosed.

What I'm asking really is if a condition is diagnosed but treatment not neccessary do you disclose the visit for tests? Or wait for them to hear the heart murmur themselves and then tell them and provide evidence in letter from doctor.

Do tests or consultations class a hospital treatment?

This is driving me mad worrying, one day I think we'll be fine the next I'm not so sure!

Also I was signed off by hospital years ago as my condition, (Crohns disease) was completely inactive and doctor even doubting I had ever had it, (diagnosed in London aged 19). Not taken any meds for about 5 years and no relapses Should I get a letter from GP confirmimg all this just in case?

Sorry for all questions hope you don't mind, but any advice would be much appreciated.

Tracy
I am the same as you Tracey, Im worrying too!

I was wondering about telling them about tests and things as well, so it will be interesting to find out. Ive had a few things investigated (including an echocardiogram like you) which all proved to be negative and fine and no treatment ever needed, and id rather not go into it all if I can avoid it! Just tell them the important stuff!

Its a worrying business when you've had health problems
Old Jan 27th 2010, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of

I am the same as you Tracey, Im worrying too!

I was wondering about telling them about tests and things as well, so it will be interesting to find out. Ive had a few things investigated (including an echocardiogram like you) which all proved to be negative and fine and no treatment ever needed, and id rather not go into it all if I can avoid it! Just tell them the important stuff!

Its a worrying business when you've had health problems

Hi Chapmans,

It's my daughter who has the heart mumur and echo which was more worrying than having it myself. My logical side tells me we should be fine, we don't cost NHS anything, pay national insurance, prescriptions charges and pay for BUPA insurance ourselves.

But then my emotional, worrying side starts in with the what ifs? Silly I know but can't help the way we're made eh?

I suppose we wll all just have to wait and see,

Good luck with your application

Tracy
Old Jan 27th 2010, 1:08 am
Forum Regular

Babycoach is an unknown quantity at this point

From a nurse who has been through this twice and been involved in the professional side of doing medicals say nothing unless asked. ... and then say the minimum to answer the question. Woffling on will just end up you spilling the beans on something you later wish you hadn't mentioned.
Take the time to learn meditation and yoga...while you wait so your BP will come down and you will be calm and confident.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.