Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Question about leaving Canada for a trip on a work visa

Question about leaving Canada for a trip on a work visa

Old Feb 6th 2012, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

jackusa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about leaving Canada for a trip on a work visa

I'm a provincial nominee and working in Canada on a work permit attached to my employer. I have to leave Canada for 2 weeks and I would like to know if I will have problems on my way back. Is it recommended? What do I need to return without any problems?

Thanks
Old Feb 6th 2012, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about leaving Canada for a trip on a work visa

Originally Posted by jackusa
I'm a provincial nominee and working in Canada on a work permit attached to my employer. I have to leave Canada for 2 weeks and I would like to know if I will have problems on my way back. Is it recommended? What do I need to return without any problems?

Thanks
As long as you meet all the requirements for entering i.e valid travel documents then you will be ok. The TWP also acts as some comfort as you are working here not just visiting and have been previously admitted.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 9:30 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jackusa

Thanks
Before we got PR we had a 2 year work permit. I used to go back and forth to the UK and other places and no one said a word.

Until..............

The work permit was due the expire on 31st March, on 10th of feb I went back to the UK with my husband, he came back home a week later and had no problem at all. When I got to passport control a week after my husband the officer gave me a real hard time, she said you only have 6 weeks left how do I know you will leave? asked me for paper work to prove we had applied for PR and had, had our medicals done in October of the previous year, on and on she went. I asked her where on the WP does it say it has to be renewed 6 months in advance, I said it was not acceptable to expect me to carry the PR paperwork around with me, and my husband had past this way last week without problem and paper work. She then yelled at me that on this occasion and this one only she would let me in, and she was only doing so because there was a long line at the immigration desk and she didnt want to add to their work load.

She might just have been having a bad day - I dont know, but it was the only time I had a problem.

FL might be able to give me the official explanation if there is one.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 9:35 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
Menopause?
Old Feb 6th 2012, 9:36 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Menopause?
I was thinking PMS...
Old Feb 6th 2012, 9:43 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I was thinking PMS...
That's only because you've yet to live through the other one.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

jackusa is an unknown quantity at this point

damn, I'm sorry to hear about that. I hope I won't have to deal with any of the same when I travel back to Canada.

did it take 2 years for Canada to process your PR? :-O

Before we got PR we had a 2 year work permit. I used to go back and forth to the UK and other places and no one said a word.

Until..............

The work permit was due the expire on 31st March, on 10th of feb I went back to the UK with my husband, he came back home a week later and had no problem at all. When I got to passport control a week after my husband the officer gave me a real hard time, she said you only have 6 weeks left how do I know you will leave? asked me for paper work to prove we had applied for PR and had, had our medicals done in October of the previous year, on and on she went. I asked her where on the WP does it say it has to be renewed 6 months in advance, I said it was not acceptable to expect me to carry the PR paperwork around with me, and my husband had past this way last week without problem and paper work. She then yelled at me that on this occasion and this one only she would let me in, and she was only doing so because there was a long line at the immigration desk and she didnt want to add to their work load.

She might just have been having a bad day - I dont know, but it was the only time I had a problem.

Old Feb 6th 2012, 10:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Menopause?
Originally Posted by iaink
I was thinking PMS...
I think both of these answers are closer to the mark
Other than that an officer on a power trip or not truly understanding the legislation I couldnt really comment.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 2:26 am

Menopause?
Her, me, or both?
Old Feb 7th 2012, 2:33 am

[QUOTE=jackusa;9887564]damn, I'm sorry to hear about that. I hope I won't have to deal with any of the same when I travel back to Canada.

did it take 2 years for Canada to process your PR? :-O

We arrived in the May, pack went off in September that year, Sidney lost the LMO so rejected us in feb of the next year, days later they sent our pack to London, after our immigration lawyer faxed a copy of the LMO. Pack got to London march 2010, meds in Oct 2010 , PPR March 2011.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 3:25 pm
Born again atheist

Her, me, or both?
Her of course dear lady.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 3:42 pm

Her of course dear lady.
Thanks for clarifying.